• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Cautious Skiier at 39!

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
YAY!!!! Can’t wait to hear more!!!
Since you asked… Tried out the new boots, and they felt great. I then went on the next level green slope. History: this was one my husband had “persuaded” me to do, and then I got terrified and walked down two hills. I wasn’t happy because I wasn’t ready. Men push and don’t listen! Fast forward to yesterday… Went down said trail, and it was eye-opening that the two areas I had been terrified of earlier did not do that to me, and I was able to ski down them. The family was happy, and I was too. THEN I got dragged on the next hardest green, which, my brother had said could be a blue, and it was all ice. I made it down basically snow plowed, and “pizza turned” down. Given the pitch, I realize that I probably have to learn how to “lean into the mountain” so that the skis are cutting in, some thing I haven’t had to figure out before. My plan is to continue on the two trails I can do, get stronger, and maybe have a lesson to figure out exactly how to do that! Since it’s already February though, I’m wondering if I should wait until the beginning of next season so I can apply what I learned over more times.. hmmm

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
YAAAY! Here’s a plug for yes/and. Get a lesson, practice as much as you can before the season ends…Otherwise you risk wiring in bad habits (ASK me how I know…)

Then, start the season, figure out where you are, knock the cobwebs off, and another lesson. But if you can, be picky about your instructor. My last instructor was my age, no kids, but had recovered from an injury, so really knew what I was after, which was frictionless skiing. The lesson itself was EXHAUSTING. (I literally fell getting off the lift the last time, because my brain was FULL) … but my skiing experienced a step change in comfort and confidence.

I know lessons are expensive, but it’s harder to break the bad habits. And it will take more lessons to do so. Getting that pizza into a parallel will help with a lot, too. :smile:

From a fellow learner. :smile:

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you asked… Tried out the new boots, and they felt great. I then went on the next level green slope. History: this was one my husband had “persuaded” me to do, and then I got terrified and walked down two hills. I wasn’t happy because I wasn’t ready. Men push and don’t listen! Fast forward to yesterday… Went down said trail, and it was eye-opening that the two areas I had been terrified of earlier did not do that to me, and I was able to ski down them. The family was happy, and I was too. THEN I got dragged on the next hardest green, which, my brother had said could be a blue, and it was all ice. I made it down basically snow plowed, and “pizza turned” down. Given the pitch, I realize that I probably have to learn how to “lean into the mountain” so that the skis are cutting in, some thing I haven’t had to figure out before. My plan is to continue on the two trails I can do, get stronger, and maybe have a lesson to figure out exactly how to do that! Since it’s already February though, I’m wondering if I should wait until the beginning of next season so I can apply what I learned over more times.. hmmm
I'm in the same boat as you and I'm so happy to hear your progression!

I would also recommend a lesson earlier on to prevent bad habits and they might show you some drills to help your skiing. I've done 2, but now that I have some practice and still struggling, I want to at least get 1 more lesson in this year.

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in the same boat as you and I'm so happy to hear your progression!

I would also recommend a lesson earlier on to prevent bad habits and they might show you some drills to help your skiing. I've done 2, but now that I have some practice and still struggling, I want to at least get 1 more lesson in this year.
Thanks! I really want to do a private lesson. :smile: I saw your other posts… your motivation and goals are impressive!

groomer groover

Certified Ski Diva
Since you asked… Tried out the new boots, and they felt great. I then went on the next level green slope. History: this was one my husband had “persuaded” me to do, and then I got terrified and walked down two hills. I wasn’t happy because I wasn’t ready. Men push and don’t listen! Fast forward to yesterday… Went down said trail, and it was eye-opening that the two areas I had been terrified of earlier did not do that to me, and I was able to ski down them. The family was happy, and I was too.
Hurray! I've really love that feeling of confidence on trails that I can clearly remember feeling scary.

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies, I’m slowly and steadily getting better at this thing, yay! Question, so where I ski, we have had very little naturally occurring snow and relatively warmer temperatures. It seems like the snow making machines probably dump snow at the top of trails knowing it will eventually get distributed and dragged down… Just an assumption. When I am in these areas and going over these bumpy snow drifts, I’m curious if there is a particular technique to go through them. I kind of just make my way through with my center of gravity seeking to change second to second. I’m not scared, but not sure what to do. I have observed this on the easier screen, which isn’t much of a pitch at all, as well as a green that has some steeper areas. Any tips would be appreciated on the beginner level. :smile:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I kind of just make my way through with my center of gravity seeking to change second to second. I’m not scared, but not sure what to do. I have observed this on the easier screen, which isn’t much of a pitch at all, as well as a green that has some steeper areas. Any tips would be appreciated on the beginner level. :smile:
While I am not certain if you are referring to hard bumps/ridges or soft piles, your observations are correct. Anytime the snow surface is not flat but has a third dimensionality to it, the skis have to go first up, then across, then down the rise. Adjusting your balance and the pressure on the skis will work together to keep you in control and centered.

I think about anticipating the change which usually pushing me back from where it is hard to recover as the skis then accelerate and move down once I have passed the snow pile. Approaching it more slowly is often the important first step. I then think about staying a bit more forward, and allow my legs to bend a little and remain relaxed so I can maintain ski to snow contact which is key to slowing down.

As for the piles being pushed down by skiers, I would not know what is normal where you ski. Our guns make big piles. Overnight the grooming machines level out the piles. Some days by afternoon the piles under the spray nozzles are huge. Also some runs where the entry is tight, skiers create bumps and push piles.

Thankfully no matter what the source of the 3D snow, the tactics and skills are the same.

I am sure the divas will have many other great ideas!

marzNC

Angel Diva
As for the piles being pushed down by skiers, I would not know what is normal where you ski. Our guns make big piles. Overnight the grooming machines level out the piles. Some days by afternoon the piles under the spray nozzles are huge. Also some runs where the entry is tight, skiers create bumps and push piles.
There are times in the southeast, mid-Atlantic, and northeast that a huge pile in front of a snow gun is left to drain for a few days before the groomers spread out that snow or move it for use elsewhere. I presume that's the same during early season in the midwest but haven't skied in that region yet.

During early season there isn't much choice when there isn't any base yet. Although in the southeast having to completely start over in Jan or Feb happens more often than not after a major warm spell with temps in the 50s. A fresh "snow whale" can be very sticky snow. Have seen more than one intermediate/advanced skier double-eject when going too fast over a whale in the middle of Upper Showtime (steeper blue) at Massanutten.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Divas, I am happy to report today’s personal accomplishments (i.e., incremental and individual). 1. For the first time, I didn’t get nervous during the first 1-2 runs, just got in my skis and went. 2. I have some speed! I say I go the “speed limit”.. what most people are doing, some faster, some slower. What I know logically - skiing with some speed doesn’t mean no control - aligned with the experience. ⛷️
Next Saturday, I go to get my own ski boots with a boot fitter. Will be neat to see if there’s a difference!
Thanks for your support and encouragement! Jackie
Fantastic! I am in awe of any beginner skier who is happy and able to go at speed (whatever that might mean at this stage). It is said so often that skiing is not fo the fainthearted (though I keep hoping some tiny space might be found for myself. AM now in my third year since the fresh start, and only beginning to gain confidence and let myself go. Kudos for the plucky you!

MissySki

Angel Diva
A fresh "snow whale" can be very sticky snow. Have seen more than one intermediate/advanced skier double-eject when going too fast over a whale in the middle of Upper Showtime (steeper blue) at Massanutten.
It can also be really fun snow though, I LOVE early season whales!! Just depends whether the guns were blowing dry or wet snow at the end and whether it's fresh or left to drain a bit.. But yeah always good to be cautious and aware when going onto a newly opened whale trail, until you know what you are getting into. :becky:

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Skiiers! Sadly, nearing the end of the season for the Poconos in PA. Hope to get one or two more days in I would say I can get from point A to point B, can do two out of three greens on my home mountain without being scared, tendency to do “wedge turns” and experimenting with trying to get my skis parallel going across the hill. Getting better at speed but can’t say I’m really comfortable with it. Based on this, what skills do you recommend I focus on? I have a well-meaning hub that thinks I should just build linearly and comments why I am “regressing.” and quite frankly doesn’t understand my learning style… thinks he can tell me what to do and I should just get it, ha, I wonder why there is a skiing forum for women only ;)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Skiiers! Sadly, nearing the end of the season for the Poconos in PA. Hope to get one or two more days in I would say I can get from point A to point B, can do two out of three greens on my home mountain without being scared, tendency to do “wedge turns” and experimenting with trying to get my skis parallel going across the hill. Getting better at speed but can’t say I’m really comfortable with it. Based on this, what skills do you recommend I focus on? I have a well-meaning hub that thinks I should just build linearly and comments why I am “regressing.” and quite frankly doesn’t understand my learning style… thinks he can tell me what to do and I should just get it, ha, I wonder why there is a skiing forum for women only ;)
Ignore the husband and you do you! :wink:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ignore your husband is my tip! Have you had another lesson? Progress is not linear with skiing. Speed is more comfortable when you know you have control. So control is what you want to work on. But all the things that help us control our skis at speed are counter-intuitive to what the body wants to do if it gets scared. Things like leaning our body too far into the hill when traversing will make our skis slide out from under us, but leaning out/standing over our skis and looking down the hill is scary! Same with turning, you can get around by throwing your whole body and shoulders but the turn is generally not truly well controlled until you are initiating it from the lower body. I needed a lesson and still need lessons to help with these things.

But with two days left, focus on FUN. Focus on doing whatever you enjoy with skiing that means you have fun too.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hardly one to recommend next steps as I'm just a beginner, but in one of my lessons one of the drills we did after wedging was tapping the inside of the ski when you're traversing across the slope so you get used to putting weight on just the downhill ski. I've also been practicing with foot pressure and seeing how that affects my turns.

I think my biggest realization this season is weather conditions make a huge difference in my confidence/skiing ability. An easy green when it's icy suddenly becomes much more difficult. A steep terrain that has had a big dump of snow becomes much easier because it slows down my skis more.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if you might not find the following suggestion of use for the coming months. There are three teaching videos by Harald Harb making a whole series called Eliminate the Wedge. You buy them, they cost 10 USD each. I found them a colossal help. I must have seen them hundreds of times, but they have so got under my skin that I alsmost heard them in my mind when once again on snow. BUt that is fwiiw - I am still very new to this. Good luck!

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I'm hardly one to recommend next steps as I'm just a beginner, but in one of my lessons one of the drills we did after wedging was tapping the inside of the ski when you're traversing across the slope so you get used to putting weight on just the downhill ski. I've also been practicing with foot pressure and seeing how that affects my turns.

I think my biggest realization this season is weather conditions make a huge difference in my confidence/skiing ability. An easy green when it's icy suddenly becomes much more difficult. A steep terrain that has had a big dump of snow becomes much easier because it slows down my skis more.
Yes! I find that I have to “recalibrate” to the hill when I see conditions look different. I wonder at some point, this will be less of a factor for us in the future! Thank you for sharing your tip and experience.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! I find that I have to “recalibrate” to the hill when I see conditions look different. I wonder at some point, this will be less of a factor for us in the future! Thank you for sharing your tip and experience.
I think so for sure with experience and with the right equipment. I bet next season you'll have even more confidence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna