• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Cautious Skiier at 39!

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies, I am a mom of a nine-year-old snowboarder who does blacks, a seven-year-old skier who can do blues and greens, and a four year old skier, new this year, like me, but has already greatly surpassed my comfort level! My husband is fearless, and generally more risk-taking, I am a cautious type by nature. As you might surmise, I started skiing because my family got into it and I don’t want to be left in the dust. My approach so far has been going on the same easiest green and gradually trying to ski more parallel, a little faster, etc. instead of “pizza.” I went on a harder green by accident after I quickly felt comfortable on a basic bunny slope my first time and I think, got scarred, because I had no control and had to make myself fall so I would stop. I know I’m in my head, I want to be in complete control, which is maybe working against me, as some people might learn to ski because they are not as cautious. At some point, I will take a private lesson, but any tips from ladies who may have been where I am, and how to get over that hump would be appreciated! My goal is to incrementally get better and improve within myself, where ever that takes me :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Tell us what equipment you’re using (first question is going to be what boots are you using?)

And then, get thee to that lesson FAST.
Also, online resources: SkiPT on YouTube is good … so are Bootorials by Patriot Footbeds.

This forum is a WEALTH of knowledge. I had to re-learn to ski (adult learner, 20 year break) in my mid 40s. You can do this. :smile:

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks ladies! I rented boots/skis/poles this year from a large outfit where I live, but I’m going to get my own boots with personal boot fitting with someone who apparently is highly sought after in the area (my husband did extensive research). I imagine this could make a big difference. I have a Smith helmet with MIPS technology, Smith goggles for sunny and cloudy days (gift from my snowboarding brother), and HH pants and jacket that I’m very happy with (I feel well insulated but not restricted in movement, if that makes sense).

I will definitely check out those videos and do more research on this forum! I love the female empowerment and that special understanding!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Deb Armstrong has a great beginner series on Youtube, check her out!

I also second going to lessons asap, that is the best way to learn. Don't feel like you need to shell out a ton of money for private lessons either. At this level especially, group lessons are just fine and much cheaper so you can do more of them. The most important thing is learning the basics that keep you safe and in control, then get as much mileage as you can to gain comfort sliding on snow. It definitely takes some getting used to as an adult learner!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hi ladies, I am a mom of a nine-year-old snowboarder who does blacks, a seven-year-old skier who can do blues and greens, and a four year old skier, new this year, like me, but has already greatly surpassed my comfort level! My husband is fearless, and generally more risk-taking, I am a cautious type by nature. As you might surmise, I started skiing because my family got into it and I don’t want to be left in the dust. My approach so far has been going on the same easiest green and gradually trying to ski more parallel, a little faster, etc. instead of “pizza.” I went on a harder green by accident after I quickly felt comfortable on a basic bunny slope my first time and I think, got scarred, because I had no control and had to make myself fall so I would stop. I know I’m in my head, I want to be in complete control, which is maybe working against me, as some people might learn to ski because they are not as cautious. At some point, I will take a private lesson, but any tips from ladies who may have been where I am, and how to get over that hump would be appreciated! My goal is to incrementally get better and improve within myself, where ever that takes me :smile:
Take a lesson or more ASAP.
Skiing is, like any other sports, it is a muscle memory driven. You need to learn the basics/in the correct way and practice on it. Sooner correcting your challenging parts, easier and less time to get better.

Good luck!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Skiing is, like any other sports, it is a muscle memory driven. You need to learn the basics/in the correct way and practice on it. Sooner correcting your challenging parts, easier and less time to get better.
Just had this discussion with a patroller today: *perfect* practice makes perfect. Meaning: while mileage is necessary for muscle memory, gaining mileage with inefficient/incorrect movement habits is going to set you way further back and/or cause an "avoidable" injury. You'll be way further ahead in fewer days by working towards correct/efficient/dynamic skiing from the start. This is where the lesson comes in... and no, no one will ever get to "perfection"! It's a lifelong journey. Part of the appeal for me; plan to be on the slopes well past 80 if I have any say!

Oh, and welcome! :welcome:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Just had this discussion with a patroller today: *perfect* practice makes perfect. Meaning: while mileage is necessary for muscle memory, gaining mileage with inefficient/incorrect movement habits is going to set you way further back and/or cause an "avoidable" injury. You'll be way further ahead in fewer days by working towards correct/efficient/dynamic skiing from the start. This is where the lesson comes in... and no, no one will ever get to "perfection"! It's a lifelong journey. Part of the appeal for me; plan to be on the slopes well past 80 if I have any say!

Oh, and welcome! :welcome:
You said it better. My English was in the gutter today......

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm...kids skiing and riding blacks and blues already? You mention not wanting to be left in the dust, but it realistically may have already happened. However, this is not a reason to not want to progress at your own pace for your own enjoyment.

I have two different sets of adult friends who are ex collegiate ski racers. They are and will remain in the dust as all of their kids outski them by so much and did it by the time they were young teens.

Ski for you and not for them. Many moms quit when kids leave home and that makes me sad. With lessons you will ski blues and blacks too, at your own pace. Maybe better than them and faster some day, but don't have that be the only motivator.

Also, feel joy at your own accomplishments even if they can't recognize them because of where they are at themselves with the sport.

I say all this with the best intentions as someone who has and will continue to teach the moms!

Keep skiing, keep smiling, have fun!

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva

Good luck!
makes complete sense, thank you, I was thinking the same thing when I was contemplating taking a lesson!

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm...kids skiing and riding blacks and blues already? You mention not wanting to be left in the dust, but it realistically may have already happened. However, this is not a reason to not want to progress at your own pace for your own enjoyment.

I have two different sets of adult friends who are ex collegiate ski racers. They are and will remain in the dust as all of their kids outski them by so much and did it by the time they were young teens.

Ski for you and not for them. Many moms quit when kids leave home and that makes me sad. With lessons you will ski blues and blacks too, at your own pace. Maybe better than them and faster some day, but don't have that be the only motivator.

Also, feel joy at your own accomplishments even if they can't recognize them because of where they are at themselves with the sport.

I say all this with the best intentions as someone who has and will continue to teach the moms!

Keep skiing, keep smiling, have fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
At some point, I will take a private lesson, but any tips from ladies who may have been where I am, and how to get over that hump would be appreciated! My goal is to incrementally get better and improve within myself, where ever that takes me :smile:
Lessons, lessons, lessons. If the group beginner lessons are too big (more than 4 students) then invest in a private lesson. A family lesson with your youngest might work, but that depends a lot on the family dynamic.

My friend was about your age when she started on the same day as her kids, ages 4 and 6, at a small hill in northern Virginia. Her husband is a non-skier for assorted reasons. It was NOT easy, but she stuck with it. Was lucky to have solo group lessons during their first trip to Alta for spring break. It made a big difference. She continues to invest in her own enjoyment by taking semi-private lessons with friends both at our home mountain and at Alta. Even though she only does one or two ski trips a season, she continues to improve.

Even though I was an adventurous intermediate who had skied as a teen, my daughter was better than I was by age 10. That's partially natural aptitude but I also made sure she did ski school and group lessons every ski trip from ages 4-12. She was only skiing 10-15 days a season because we don't live in ski country. Meanwhile my skiing didn't improve much even with more ski days because I wasn't taking lessons much. I started lessons more regularly after rehabbing a knee injury (not from skiing). Made a huge difference in the long run. Took several years to undo specific bad habits.

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I appreciate these insights, thank you. You’re right, my toe into the sport may be for them, but I can still have my own individual joy.
And it is about finding your joy! I started skiing in my mid 40s. I am definitely the slower if not slowest of most of the people I ski with. And often I just tell the really fast ones that I will find them elsewhere, later! Don’t compete with anyone except yourself, and be gentle with your self as you learn. Many of us started out as adults.

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dear ForTheKidsSkiMom,
You got a lot of excellent info already, but I thought I would chip in too, feeling very close to you in terms of your emotions. As someone who could be said to first try skiing at the age of 58 and did not take to it like duck to water, I totally empathise. I know what it is like to struggle with things that your more experienced friends may be rolling their eyes about.
I would like to add another reason for you to start taking lessons asap. My own cautionary tale. When I first started I was first taught the usual basics: wedging to stop, wedge turning. I got that much if shakily and here is when I made my first big mistake - after having received bad advice from seasoned skier friends. Instead of signing up for more lessons straight away, I thought I needed first to "solidify" those rudiments before trying to advance. As things came neither easily nor quickly, it took a season, maybe two (for me "a season" meant 5 days, though sometimes I would get two such during one winter). Then I got another bit of very bad advice: "just skiing more will make you learn those things naturally, just observe other skiers". When after two more seasons I did not see that promised progress, I finally turned to instructors and lessons. But I have already ingrained a zillion bad habits, from bad posture to wrong concepts of what was involved in a parallel turn and those instructors that came my way saw it as a situation they would not be able to fix in the short time allowed by a lesson (or, two, or three, or five as it turned out). So actually no one tried very hard, they each gave me little bits that I was sure to implement easily right away and see something for my money. Still got me nowhere. Finally - but that is a different story altogether - I got myself in a situation where I could ski throughout the year and with very good teachers. But getting rid of those bad habits and concepts took forever and required a lot more patience (and money) than if I had taken lessons to begin with. I wish I had done it differently.
And I wish you a great deal of success, as skiing is a skill that can be greatly enjoyed at any stage of learning.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.... I went on a harder green by accident after I quickly felt comfortable on a basic bunny slope my first time and I think, got scarred, because I had no control and had to make myself fall so I would stop. ....
Would you mind answering some questions? Your answers will hopefully reveal what makes you gain speed, which will lead to advice on how to stay slow enough to feel good about your control.

1. What do you do to slow yourself down?
2. What do you do to stop?
3. This one is about boot sizing. Set your regular shoes down next to the rental boots you are in. Are your rental ski boots longer than your regular shoes? Assuming yes, how much longer?
4. How many pairs of socks do you wear when skiing?
5. Do you tuck the bottoms of your pant liners into your boot cuffs?

ForTheKidsSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Dear ForTheKidsSkiMom,
You got a lot of excellent info already, but I thought I would chip in too, feeling very close to you in terms of your emotions. As someone who could be said to first try skiing at the age of 58 and did not take to it like duck to water, I totally empathise. I know what it is like to struggle with things that your more experienced friends may be rolling their eyes about.
I would like to add another reason for you to start taking lessons asap. My own cautionary tale. When I first started I was first taught the usual basics: wedging to stop, wedge turning. I got that much if shakily and here is when I made my first big mistake - after having received bad advice from seasoned skier friends. Instead of signing up for more lessons straight away, I thought I needed first to "solidify" those rudiments before trying to advance. As things came neither easily nor quickly, it took a season, maybe two (for me "a season" meant 5 days, though sometimes I would get two such during one winter). Then I got another bit of very bad advice: "just skiing more will make you learn those things naturally, just observe other skiers". When after two more seasons I did not see that promised progress, I finally turned to instructors and lessons. But I have already ingrained a zillion bad habits, from bad posture to wrong concepts of what was involved in a parallel turn and those instructors that came my way saw it as a situation they would not be able to fix in the short time allowed by a lesson (or, two, or three, or five as it turned out). So actually no one tried very hard, they each gave me little bits that I was sure to implement easily right away and see something for my money. Still got me nowhere. Finally - but that is a different story altogether - I got myself in a situation where I could ski throughout the year and with very good teachers. But getting rid of those bad habits and concepts took forever and required a lot more patience (and money) than if I had taken lessons to begin with. I wish I had done it differently.
And I wish you a great deal of success, as skiing is a skill that can be greatly enjoyed at any stage of learning.
Thank you, Edith!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna