• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are in the wrong boots. Blisters are a sure sign that the foot is moving in the boot.
This is so sad, but it happens. It shouldn't happen. You need a better bootfitter.
Where are you again?

I didn't start getting blisters until I put a shim in my boot to take up volume. I think that in combo with the high volume instaprint footbed raised me out of the heel pocket in the shell too much. At least, that is what it feels like. Without the shim, I am in the heel pocket of the shell, but I have forefoot slide (while sideslipping especially). This is even in zipfits. Can't seem to take up enough volume.

I'm in PA, but I've had boot fitters shrugging here, in Jackson Hole, and in Vermont. Maybe I just need to accept this?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't start getting blisters until I put a shim in my boot to take up volume. I think that in combo with the high volume instaprint footbed raised me out of the heel pocket in the shell too much. At least, that is what it feels like. Without the shim, I am in the heel pocket of the shell, but I have forefoot slide (while sideslipping especially). This is even in zipfits. Can't seem to take up enough volume.

I'm in PA, but I've had boot fitters shrugging here, in Jackson Hole, and in Vermont. Maybe I just need to accept this?

I still think you just need to start over with a new boot entirely. The fact that you still have too much space in places still, even with the zipfits, is a huge red flag imo. There's gotta be something out there with a better shell fit for you.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think to an extent I'm just getting desperate. We have another trip booked for Big Sky in March, and I REALLY don't want to spend an hour or more each day seeing a boot fitter like I did in JH.

If it comes down to a whole new setup, I'm willing. But I've been tried in a bunch of different shells at different shops and everything has too much instep height, or too much width. I'm so low volume it's silly. My heel to instep ratio is like a size and a half smaller than what it should be. I have almost zero fat padding under my forefoot.

The disheartening part is hearing the fitters say things like "we could try you in such and such a boot, but really that is going to have too much space too..."

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still think you just need to start over with a new boot entirely. The fact that you still have too much space in places still, even with the zipfits, is a huge red flag imo. There's gotta be something out there with a better shell fit for you.
I should hope so, but the past 3 fitters have all uttered "plug boots" or "ZJ" and I am just in a weird place of desperation, panic, and "screw this crap" all at the same time lol

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think to an extent I'm just getting desperate. We have another trip booked for Big Sky in March, and I REALLY don't want to spend an hour or more each day seeing a boot fitter like I did in JH.

If it comes down to a whole new setup, I'm willing. But I've been tried in a bunch of different shells at different shops and everything has too much instep height, or too much width. I'm so low volume it's silly. My heel to instep ratio is like a size and a half smaller than what it should be. I have almost zero fat padding under my forefoot.

The disheartening part is hearing the fitters say things like "we could try you in such and such a boot, but really that is going to have too much space too..."

I still say go see what Dieter can do. I feel like if he can deal with my low volume feet and Wendy's he'd be able to help you. FWIW, Wendy and I are both in boots with intuition liners so that helps take up space when they're heated and molded.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You should not accept this. However, it ain't easy sometimes getting boots that fit. I went through something like what you're dealing with for years. You need to find the right person, working in a shop with the right boots. Not easy.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You should not accept this. However, it ain't easy sometimes getting boots that fit. I went through something like what you're dealing with for years. You need to find the right person, working in a shop with the right boots. Not easy.
This is year 4 I think. With at least one new set of boots per year.

Plus, I'm in a bit of a boot fitter desert.

Think I should just wait till we go to Big Sky if Dieter can't sort me out? Grizzly Outfitters in Big Sky has masterfit boot fitters. We are flying out a day early, so I can spend a whole day with a bootfitter if needed when we first get there. The only problem with that is that if there are any problems down the line, I'll be on the other side of the country.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@SquidWeaselYay - I saw you ask about Dale Boots.

I had Dale boots for about 10 yrs roughly 2003 - 2013. They saved skiing for me. My leg/foot issues are much different than yours - extremely wide calves, one leg shorter than the other and so on. I lived in MD at the time (not too many ski shops or bootfitters there) and did everything via phone, mail or E-mail. My DH took all the measurements for my feet and legs. The people I worked with were great, very helpful when I started having problems with the boots. Sent me shims and padding w/ detailed instructions on how and where to place them. I finally had to give up on them as they had too much forward lean for me when I switched from my old straight skis to more advanced shaped skis and killed my quads.

The only reason I did not go back to Dale for new boots was Women's boots had advanced enough that they could now accommodate my wide calves and moving back to MA gave me easier access to better bootfitters. I will say - they are expensive. I did find on their website some authorized dealers - I think there was1 was in NY and one in MA.

mustski

Angel Diva
I still say go see what Dieter can do. I feel like if he can deal with my low volume feet and Wendy's he'd be able to help you. FWIW, Wendy and I are both in boots with intuition liners so that helps take up space when they're heated and molded.
Intuition liners will not help. They are much less efficient at taking up volume than zip fits and zip fits aren't working. Intuition liners have great warmth but, unlike zip fit and boot doc, they do pack out just like most stock liners. Even though they can be remolded, that does not return to the original fit. In fact, the liners do break down a bit more with each remolding. Ask me how I know? :mad2::frusty:

If you decide to start over while in Big Sky, try this place. https://www.grizzlyoutfitters.com/boot-fitting-and-orthotics-big-sky/. They have the boot doc liners and this may be your only option.

@Skisailor Who would you recommend in BigSky?

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Intuition liners will not help. They are much less efficient at taking up volume than zip fits and zip fits aren't working. Intuition liners have great warmth but, unlike zip fit and boot doc, they do pack out just like most stock liners. Even though they can be remolded, that does not return to the original fit. In fact, the liners do break down a bit more with each remolding. Ask me how I know? :mad2::frusty:

If you decide to start over while in Big Sky, try this place. https://www.grizzlyoutfitters.com/boot-fitting-and-orthotics-big-sky/. They have the boot doc liners and this may be your only option.

I wasn't suggesting she do Intuition liners in her current shells, but get new boots/shells and then do some sort of moldable liners with those (assuming the stock liner probably won't work).

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is year 4 I think. With at least one new set of boots per year.

Plus, I'm in a bit of a boot fitter desert.

Think I should just wait till we go to Big Sky if Dieter can't sort me out? Grizzly Outfitters in Big Sky has masterfit boot fitters. We are flying out a day early, so I can spend a whole day with a bootfitter if needed when we first get there. The only problem with that is that if there are any problems down the line, I'll be on the other side of the country.

I'd probably choose to go to Marc at Windham over a place in Big Sky b/c of proximity (4 hrs vs a flight away), but that opinion is coming from the fact I purchased boots twice in Vermont at reputable shops and then I was 6-8 hours away if I needed tweaks, which I always do. My old boots became a mess of too many cooks in the kitchen with various opinions and so my personal preference has become to only have them worked on by the person I bought them from. But I know people here have had success buying boots while they're on trips and it's been fine, so your mileage may vary. I think my feet are just too messy for that.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd probably choose to go to Marc at Windham over a place in Big Sky b/c of proximity (4 hrs vs a flight away), but that opinion is coming from the fact I purchased boots twice in Vermont at reputable shops and then I was 6-8 hours away if I needed tweaks, which I always do. My old boots became a mess of too many cooks in the kitchen with various opinions and so my personal preference has become to only have them worked on by the person I bought them from. But I know people here have had success buying boots while they're on trips and it's been fine, so your mileage may vary. I think my feet are just too messy for that.
I have a feeling I am the same way.

I was afraid of that. If boot docs solve it, I'm all for it. I just want to make sure I am going down the right road, in the right shell.

Somebody at my local ski shop suggested fischer vacuums last year, but I've seen mixed reviews on those. I am betting they can't be vacuumed down to the LV level that I need.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I was afraid of that. If boot docs solve it, I'm all for it. I just want to make sure I am going down the right road, in the right shell.

Somebody at my local ski shop suggested fischer vacuums last year, but I've seen mixed reviews on those. I am betting they can't be vacuumed down to the LV level that I need.

@MissySki had Fischer Vacuums for years. Tagging her so she can give input. FYI, Marc does Fischer Vacuum or at least he did when I was up there for the ZipFits years ago.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I had the first generation Fischer vacuums. It took me several bootfitters to vacuum it where I had a fantastic fit (the first two used so much pressure that my foot wouldn’t sit flat because things were too tight fir my wide forefoot as we tried to suck everything else in for my super skinny ankle and low instep) However, I eventually kept having too much loosening around my ankle. It was like each time it was vacuumed it would be super tight, but then pack out quite fast afterward and continuously in different spots.. perhaps we vacuumed too many times and the materials started breaking down.. Since this was also the first generation, I imagine they may have gotten better with more iterations by now. I eventually did give up to try conventional boots again though because I got sick of my boots feeling different everytime I skied them.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Intuition liners work fine for some people, I had them for 2 seasons in one of my previous boots and they worked well. Besides @tinymoose wasn't suggesting Intuition liners in @SquidWeaselYay current shells, but start over completely with new shells and some kind of moldable liner, Intuition being one of the options. It depends on a given situation and persons feet and boots which liner/boot works best. Different strokes for different folks..

@SquidWeaselYay I am another person who went through several pairs of ill-fitting boots/shells until Dieter in Alpina ski shop put me in current Nordica GPX 95 3 years ago. I have outgrown them in the sense that my skiing improved and I need stiffer boots for I how I currently ski so I am going for bootfitting to Dieter's this Friday. I think very highly of Dieter and agree @tinymoose recommendation to visit him and the recommendation of making sure you are working with a bootfitter within driving distance to make adjustments as needed. Good luck, hope you find boots that fit great! I probably spent my first 4-5 years of skiing in ill-fitting boots with the wrong shell mostly, the liners weren't so much of a problem.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Intuition liners work fine for some people, I had them for 2 seasons in one of my previous boots and they worked well. Besides @tinymoose wasn't suggesting Intuition liners in @SquidWeaselYay current shells, but start over completely with new shells and some kind of moldable liner, Intuition being one of the options. It depends on a given situation and persons feet and boots which liner/boot works best. Different strokes for different folks..

@SquidWeaselYay I am another person who went through several pairs of ill-fitting boots/shells until Dieter in Alpina ski shop put me in current Nordica GPX 95 3 years ago. I have outgrown them in the sense that my skiing improved and I need stiffer boots for I how I currently ski so I am going for bootfitting to Dieter's this Friday. I think very highly of Dieter and agree @tinymoose recommendation to visit him and the recommendation of making sure you are working with a bootfitter within driving distance to make adjustments as needed. Good luck, hope you find boots that fit great! I probably spent my first 4-5 years of skiing in ill-fitting boots with the wrong shell mostly, the liners weren't so much of a problem.
Does Dieter do boot doc liners? Asking in case that is what is needed to achieve the fit I need. I'm going to call the shop today and give them a run down of my issues and see if they have anything in stock for me to try.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It took me several bootfitters to vacuum it where I had a fantastic fit (the first two used so much pressure that my foot wouldn’t sit flat because things were too tight fir my wide forefoot as we tried to suck everything else in for my super skinny ankle and low instep) However, I eventually kept having too much loosening around my ankle. I eventually did give up to try conventional boots again though because I got sick of my boots feeling different everytime I skied them.

Ugh, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid. All of it. Super low instep and rediculous low volume is my whole problem. Definitely don't want boots expanding in me. Liners packing out is bad enough.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got off the phone with Kim and Dieter. Holy cow, are they nice folks. They were super slammed when I called, so I offered to call back but Kim took my number and called ME back. Dieter told me that his stock is limited, but that I should come up this Saturday and he will make time to work with me (even on the holiday weekend). He was very patient on the phone and listened to my dissertation on my measurements, by issues, what I have tried, etc. He said he wants to try me in Dalbello Chakras, and possibly a junior race boot. So I'm making the road trip on Saturday to arrive around 1PM.

Anybody know if cabrio boots can be fitted with zipfits or foam liners? I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything other than "these liners work for ALL boots." Anybody have any experience with that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna