• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Never ending boot saga continues

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mentioned it to my family doc 2 years ago, and he said that I can't expect to feel like I'm 18 my whole life, and to take a multivitamin. I do take them, but I don't think I need them, I eat really healthy. He kinda dismissed it and told me to keep exercising.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just an FYI, Salter's had a major fire on 1/26 and is closed for now. Not sure when they'll reopen. Maybe by next season?

@vanhoskier @Olesya Chornoguz and I all go to Dieter up at Alpina near Jack Frost. https://www.940boards.com Not sure what their inventory is like right now, but as you saw by the amount of cork I had in those ZipFits, I have very narrow feet too, among other fitting issues. Same for Wendy. Dieter has been able to get both of us in boots that work. Mark, at Windham, is also where I got those ZipFits.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm.... Alpina would be much closer. Who would you recommend out of the two?

I tried to take the zips to the local shop that sells them, and he said "I don't have the stuff to add or remove cork. I can only heat them for you."

The guys at the JH resort shop said that the amount of omfit won't affect anything because it just flows where it is neeeded... So they wouldn't even really take a look at how much was in there to see if it was a good amount for me. They heated them for me again, but said that you can't have too much omfit.

So..... I did what my buddy did.....plastic tubing to remove omfit from certain spots, then use a sanded wooden dowel to add it back in if needed. It actually works well, but I found that even with adding all the omfit back in after lots of trial and error, it still doesn't seem to fit right. At this point I think the shells I have are still too big. Or the wrong shape. Who knows.

NO! I went through the same thing. Turns out, the Mirena IUD and the synthetic progestin in them is BAD stuff. I suffered for YEARS and am just starting to get it sorted out.

I have the paragard, the nonhormonal copper iud because I'm very sensitive to hormonal birth control. I doubt it is that since it is just copper.

I am not sure what it could be. I have about 30% less hair than I used to and I packed on lbs on my butt and thighs in spite of increased exercise and eating the same or less. I also can't sleep through the night anymore, ever. I used to be a deep sleeper, too. The doc said that is normal as you age. He said it's not thyroid because I would be constipated all the time and have worse acne (I use a acnefree every day to keep it under control), and also be obese. I'm not overweight yet, but in spite of working out 5-7 times a week, scale creeps up, even with a 1200-1500 calorie diet. He said that I'm probably just eating more than I realize. I eat better now than ever before because I'm not a broke ass student. I don't think that is it, but I was tired of arguing. So I left and haven't gone back for 2 years.

Maybe I need to go to another doctor...i have only been going to this guy because he is close to my work.

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ all of that is the same symptoms as menopause but you are way too young to be getting that yet. It sure sounds hormonal. Get a second opinion.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m 35, and while I don’t feel like I’m 18 anymore either, no this certainly doesn’t sound normal to me. I really hate when concerns are just pushed aside by doctors like this. Perhaps nothing is amiss, but I’d think how you feel warrants a few blood tests at least to be sure everything is where it should be. If your current doctor doesn’t feel that way, I’d try a new one. I’m especially surprised with the thyroid response as I believe there can be plenty of manifestations without hitting every single symptom. There was a time where we were investigating thyroid issues for me, and I didn’t check every box, my numbers were just a little odd. I never understand why there is so much pushback from some doctors to doing a simple blood test to rule things out..

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^^
all this. mods may want to move medical post to Diva's only?
@SquidWeaselYay this is not normal aging, nor is your doctors response "normal." Sorry.
Thyroid / hormone/ blood work up and a Dr. that looks beyond what "normal" levels are.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, I thought I was just being overly sensitive or something about the changes. I felt silly when the doc dismissed me. I'll have to ask around to get a recommendation for a good doc.

Sorry I derailed this thread a bit, I didn't expect it to go this direction. But I am glad I did, I thought it was normal. Thanks everybody!

Okay, back to boot woes. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, too, am sensitive to hormones, and drugs, etc. Even more reason to get it investigated. Yes, changes are normal, but as I'm finding out (see my Divas only thread on menopause) 1) it doesn't have to be that way and 2) some things really AREN'T normal and definitely require investigating and advocating.
Adding bioidentical hormones into my life recently has taken away most of my aches and pains! I'm still tinkering with exact dosages, though.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm.... Alpina would be much closer. Who would you recommend out of the two?

I'd personally start with Dieter. He doesn't sell ZipFit and probably won't add/remove cork for you b/c of it, like the other guy you talked to who wouldn't touch them, but he might be able to get you into a shell that fits better overall. Plus, he's closer so any changes you need down the road (he'll guarantee the fit), it would be much easier to get there for additional work vs. going all the way to Windham. Mark/Marc? at Windham was great, but he's 4 hours from me and while we went to him to purchase the ZipFits, because he was the closest person that had them, I'm not sure I'd want to go up there for all my regular bootfitting needs b/c of the drive. Us buying ZipFits was something we did to try to salvage poor fitting shells b/c ZipFits were still cheaper than new boots; this was before we finally just caved and went to see Dieter and started from scratch. Which in the end, I wish we'd just done in the first place.

If you go up there, I'd call ahead and make an appointment with him. He's the shop owner so it helps if he can block out time to devote to you, otherwise who knows how busy he'll be or if he'll even be availabe.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd personally start with Dieter. He doesn't sell ZipFit and probably won't add/remove cork for you b/c of it, like the other guy you talked to who wouldn't touch them, but he might be able to get you into a shell that fits better overall. Plus, he's closer so any changes you need down the road (he'll guarantee the fit), it would be much easier to get there for additional work vs. going all the way to Windham. Mark/Marc? at Windham was great, but he's 4 hours from me and while we went to him to purchase the ZipFits, because he was the closest person that had them, I'm not sure I'd want to go up there for all my regular bootfitting needs b/c of the drive. Us buying ZipFits was something we did to try to salvage poor fitting shells b/c ZipFits were still cheaper than new boots; this was before we finally just caved and went to see Dieter and started from scratch. Which in the end, I wish we'd just done in the first place.

If you go up there, I'd call ahead and make an appointment with him. He's the shop owner so it helps if he can block out time to devote to you, otherwise who knows how busy he'll be or if he'll even be availabe.

Yeah, you have a lot of good points. I will call and see when he has appointments available. I may have to start from scratch too. Do you happen to know if he works with race boots.... Just asking in case that ends up being what I need.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, you have a lot of good points. I will call and see when he has appointments available. I may have to start from scratch too. Do you happen to know if he works with race boots.... Just asking in case that ends up being what I need.

He doesn't have plugs; Windham does. But he does have junior race boots and they come in 23/23.5s so wouldn't be an issue for you as far as length. Jack Frost has a race team so he sells junior race boots and junior race skis. I'm not sure what brands of junior race boots he's carrying now other than Head. He's also carried Nordica Dobermanns in the past. Not sure about other brands in junior race boots? He'll also order you anything he doesn't carry if he think it's a better option for your foot.

Ya know, I think there's something to be said for well-known, reputable ski shops with nationally known boot-fitters. But having purchased from two well-known, reputable shops 8+ hrs from home and then running into problems with them later and then dragging them home to Dieter to fix them when he didn't put me in them... I think it's much easier to find someone who is good close to home who can fit you and be there to work with you when you need tweaks. Dieter was the first boot-fitter to ever notice my flex issue wasn't a strength issue but rather a I have big feet so the cuff was too high on my shin, and it took him a few years of working on my boots I'd bought elsewhere and drug home for him to fix to have that "ah-ha" moment. Because that's not a common issue. And none of the reputable boot-fitters I'd bought from ever realized that was the issue either. I'm sure with enough time staring at my feet and legs they probably would have worked it out like Dieter did, but I think that's why having someone who knows you and your feet and sees you often is invaluable. Dieter is good, but he's not exceptionally better than these other shops, he's just seen me and my messed up feet enough to know what works and what doesn't.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have problem feet, both in and out of ski boots, but I finally have a combination that allows me to ski all day without pain. First, if you haven’t tried them yet Full Tilt boots with intuition custom liners were a game changer for both my daughter and I, and she has supernarrow feet. Instaprint footbeds have also helped, but the Full tilts made the biggest difference. It’s also the only boot I don’t get cold feet in, despite Reynauds.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have problem feet, both in and out of ski boots, but I finally have a combination that allows me to ski all day without pain. First, if you haven’t tried them yet Full Tilt boots with intuition custom liners were a game changer for both my daughter and I, and she has supernarrow feet. Instaprint footbeds have also helped, but the Full tilts made the biggest difference. It’s also the only boot I don’t get cold feet in, despite Reynauds.

Hm, I thought full tilts were park boots mostly. I've never tried a pair on.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The park skiers do like them them but they also make a great all mountain and back country boot. One thing that’s nice is that they have interchangeable tongues that allow you to change the stiffness and flexion. Both my daughter and I have narrow feet, hers more so, but are light weight, so a plug or race boot is hard for me to fiex. The intuition liners are baked and allow you to get a custom and very warm liner. I had mine fit at California ski shop in Berkeley, and had my food beds done there as well, but we had my daughter’s done at one of the shops at Squaw Valley. They also added a heel wrap to mine to eliminate any movement.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The park skiers do like them them but they also make a great all mountain and back country boot. One thing that’s nice is that they have interchangeable tongues that allow you to change the stiffness and flexion. Both my daughter and I have narrow feet, hers more so, but are light weight, so a plug or race boot is hard for me to fiex. The intuition liners are baked and allow you to get a custom and very warm liner. I had mine fit at California ski shop in Berkeley, and had my food beds done there as well, but we had my daughter’s done at one of the shops at Squaw Valley. They also added a heel wrap to mine to eliminate any movement.

Hm...I like the interchangeable tongue idea. I'm in a 110 flex boot currently, which i love for groomers, but in crazy bumps I have to be on my A game.

Which model are you in? I want to look it up and see what the last is on it. I heard that intuitions pack out in about 2 years. :/ I guess since I'm so narrow, ANY packout is usually noticeable to me, even 5 days into a ski boot stock liner, and I am cranking buckles. I wonder if zipfits work in full tilt boots?

mustski

Angel Diva
Full Tilt's narrowest boot is a 99 last - in both the men's and the women's boot which drives me crazy!!! They are probably wider than what you have now. The Zip Fits will work in any boot that is the same size.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Full Tilt's narrowest boot is a 99 last - in both the men's and the women's boot which drives me crazy!!! They are probably wider than what you have now. The Zip Fits will work in any boot that is the same size.
Ugh, yeah, that is way too wide. Darn. I'm in a size 23 x max, so...97 last maybe? And I'm still sliding in them at the midfoot/forefoot.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hm...I like the interchangeable tongue idea. I'm in a 110 flex boot currently, which i love for groomers, but in crazy bumps I have to be on my A game.

Which model are you in? I want to look it up and see what the last is on it. I heard that intuitions pack out in about 2 years. :/ I guess since I'm so narrow, ANY packout is usually noticeable to me, even 5 days into a ski boot stock liner, and I am cranking buckles. I wonder if zipfits work in full tilt boots?

I haven't noticed that my Intuition liners are packing out at all and this is year four in them. They came with my Dalbello's. I've always been under the impression that Inutition liners shouldn't really pack out much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna