• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: My New Skis are Miserable

What do you think?

• Sell the Skis

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Keep the Skis

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CrystalRose...you are not alone with fearing you might be on the wrong ski. My first pair of skis were not the best fit for me. I ended up selling them after one season...but very happy with my new ones! I also made a bad boot purchase that I rectified this season. It happens to all of us!

You might want to visit the ski finder on Skis.com...it could narrow down some options for you, tho I think the New Yumi would be a nice ski for you...and one you could also grow into.

You also might want to think about ski features...I know this can be hard for someone just beginning, but still worth some thought...long vs short turn radius, flex, camber...there are many skis out there to choose from, and it helps to know what you are looking for.

Don't give up! Skiing takes a lot of practice...I'm in my 5th season, and have had plenty of ups and downs...as you gain more skill, it's becomes more fun.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't give up or make any decisions on the skis until you try your boots on a rental ski you're used to and then also try a longer rental ski to try and gauge whether it's the boot, ski, length, or some combo of those. At 6 days you're so new to skiing and your technique is still changing drastically with each lesson, it's really hard to say what it might be without a bit of trial and error. If you can show that you're fine in your boots on a different ski, you can handle a longer length in a different ski, you can rule out the tune on the skis... then maybe looking for a different ski. It may not even be that the Cheyenne is too much ski for your current skill level, but it's just not the right ski for you or where you're at right now.

I do own the Yumis (older model), but I've never tried the Cheyenne so I can't really help you as far as how they compare.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With only 6 total days of skiing, I personally think that you should rent skis this season. That way you can have an opportunity to see what you like in a ski and also to see how your technique evolves. I just did some reading and that ski seems like a intermediate to advanced ski and probably not right for you now but maybe ok later on.

I grew up skiing but took a 15 year hiatus until last season. I’m really happy that I rented and demoed last season because it allowed me to start off on shorter, forgiving skis as I got my legs back and then check out some more intermediate/advanced skis and longer lengths. I skied a Head Supershape iMagnum one day last year and it was way, way too much ski for me but I could still maneuver it, I just wasn’t having fun.

I also think the first back when you are a beginner can be really rough. Try something that is made for a beginner and get used to your new boots and the feel of skiing again. Also, try not to freak out if it doesn’t come together as quickly as you want. Honestly, some days are better than others for a variety of reasons.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My point is that, you'll have good days and bad day. Sometimes the bad days are really bad. Don't be discouraged. Everything is a learning experience and you can overcome anything.

^^So much this!

I can't speak to equipment , but I can SO empathize with your experience @CrystalRose and echo Brenda that you'll get this and it's worth it!

Last year was my first full season and there was so much frustration, many boot problems, lots of different skis, so much money spent, icy, granular snow that was super hard for a beginner, etc. but just enough fun to make it worth sticking with it, especially on soft spring snow. I got a season pass at a local hill that is open until 10pm every night and I went as much as I could, no matter the weather or conditions. If I was skiing with friends and they quit early, I stayed out. I sucked a lot. I banged my poles together in abject frustration. A lot.

Honestly, if I was really frustrated I would sometimes have a beer at the bar and then go goof around on the bunny hill with no motive other than being on snow and trying things out. Those super-talented race kids zipping around the hill at Mach 1 making beautiful turns seemed to be doing drills 98% of the time. So I did drills.

I took lessons. Sometimes instructors would see me practicing give me advice, and I have more than once had really nice people on the chairlift decide to take a run with me and give me tips. I asked friends to video me (don't watch video of yourself sober!) watched a ton of youtube videos, and I read this great book that was really helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-New-Skis-Ed-Intermediate/dp/0967674727

This is my second full season and I'm still an intermediate, but I made SO much progress that I don't really have frustrating days any more and every day is fun--really! I think it's because although I'm not where I want to be, I have more of a grasp on what I'm doing right and wrong, so more optimism about my potential for improvement. I may be slow and stiff and awkward on steeper pitches but I spent yesterday looking back at some beautiful railroad tracks that I carved all by myself! :yahoo:

You've received great practical advice here; I just wanted to chime in with a morale boost. There is definitely a frustrating plateau at first; don't let it get you down! The learning might be slow-going, but it should be fun. Don't let it not be fun!

Good luck and best wishes for a great season. You got this!!

:party:

Last edited:

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Also, try not to freak out if it doesn’t come together as quickly as you want. Honestly, some days are better than others for a variety of reasons.

I would like to echo this too. Remember too that this isn't a race to accomplish X, Y, or Z--rather, it's hopefully for a lifetime of enjoyment. When I finally took a deep breath last season (when I made up my mind I would commit to the sport) and realized this after a bad day on skis that weren't right for me, my experiences got a lot better and my progress took off.

@CrystalRose, I have about six committed days on the snow as well (like you!) and I'm so excited each time we head to the hill now--I can't wait to see what I will accomplish or what I will learn, and I can see progress each outing, which is really cool.

What I ended up doing per skis is purchasing what I learned on, or rather the updated model of what I learned on. I knew I would have a consistent product under my feet each time, and know how they have been handled and cared for between trips. I had a great day on this certain ski where I jumped from total scaredy cat to linking stem turns down greens, then the bad day I speak of above, then back to the "happy skis" where the stem turns continued to improve, and then with my very own skis, open parallel. Now THAT was a huge confidence boost! Trails that looked like Mount OMG! to the beginner beginner me now feel like they are within reach.

While I did purchase a beginner ski that I may "outgrow" in a season or two, that I am learning technique and simply enjoying and trusting the process with these will mean they have more than served their purpose when it is time to upgrade. I hope you find your "happy skis" soon as well. :smile:

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
UPDATE!

First I want to thank @socalgal for skiing and being patient with me on Saturday. It was nice to finally meet you and your sweet family. If I don't see you again locally, I'll see you at Diva West:smile:.

I decided to go ahead a do a seasonal rental. Went to the ski shop and asked for a 160 cm, longer than my original rental but shorter than the Cheyennes I purchased. They just so happened to hand me the same model of that I had before. I took that to be a good sign. Side Story: I was curious what was the length of the ski I was handed the first time I ever went skiing 2 years ago. The mountain had it on file and they were 146 cm in the same K2 model! I went from 146 to 153 to 160.

Long story short, it went sooooo much better! I was I was able to stay upright, turn, and actually have fun this time! The new length didn't really bother me, no crossing of tips this time. I was able to focus on trying to improve and now I WANT a lesson because I know exactly what my biggest weak point is. Pretty sure it's not the new boots...

At this point it can be anything with the Cheyennes:
1. Tune
2. Length (Would the 10cm make it that much harder to ski?)
3. Too advance for me
4. The rocker-camber-rocker profile vs the K2's rocker-camber profile

I don't know where to start. :noidea:

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Yay!!! So happy for you! :clap:

Any of the variables above could have been an issue before. I racked my brain with all of what you mentioned above last year. I know for me, length did make a difference, as did the RCR profile. The skis I had issue with had more contact with the snow and a bit more swing weight, which affected my turns. I likely could have learned to ski them fine, but when I wasn't confident with turning in the first place and was still working on rotary control, I felt as if I were starting over (which was :frusty: ). When I went back to the profile that did get me moving and turning, life became so much better.

Now that you have something you like, stay with it for now! Have fun!

Jilly

Staff member
At this point I think I would sell them. You might need a more intermediate ski to progress on. Stick with an all mountain type, but lose the RCR or a lesser difference.

What brands are available locally for you?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, 10cm can make that much of a difference, for sure, as can a bad tune.
Glad you found something that makes you smile for now!

elemmac

Angel Diva

I think you really have two choices at this point; Sell the Cheyenne and all the bad vibes they gave you. Or keep them, put them in a closest where you can't look at them and forget about the bad time you had on them...try them again next season when you have a bit more experience under your belt. You now have a ski set up for the season, so I'd say have fun and don't worry about trying to find a new ski quite yet.

Couple more ideas on where to start...
- Does the company you rent from have different models to rent? Or are they all the same ski? If they do have different ones, try something else. Better, worse, indifferent?
- Did you buy the Cheyennes online or at a brick and mortar store? If it wasn't online, take the skis back to the place you bought them, tell them about your experience and ask if they'll give you credit towards a different ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Long story short, it went sooooo much better! I was I was able to stay upright, turn, and actually have fun this time! The new length didn't really bother me, no crossing of tips this time. I was able to focus on trying to improve and now I WANT a lesson because I know exactly what my biggest weak point is. Pretty sure it's not the new boots...

At this point it can be anything with the Cheyennes:
1. Tune
2. Length (Would the 10cm make it that much harder to ski?)
3. Too advance for me
4. The rocker-camber-rocker profile vs the K2's rocker-camber profile

Having fun is what skiing is all about! Glad you found a way to enjoy the rest of the season.

Having demo'd the Cheyenne and at the BP78 in recent years, as well as assorted K2 skis, I agree with the suggestions to sell or return the Cheyenne skis. I have found the K2 skis much more forgiving than any of the Blizzard models. While personally I like the BP88 (old and new versions), the BP78 has never seemed that fun for whatever reason. At this point, I'm a solid advanced skier.

When I was a solid intermediate skier, I would sometimes take out longer skis at a demo day because there was nothing short enough for a petite woman. Longer skis were more work, but even at 10cm longer I didn't have issues with crossing tips.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you really have two choices at this point; Sell the Cheyenne and all the bad vibes they gave you. Or keep them, put them in a closest where you can't look at them and forget about the bad time you had on them...try them again next season when you have a bit more experience under your belt. You now have a ski set up for the season, so I'd say have fun and don't worry about trying to find a new ski quite yet.

Couple more ideas on where to start...
- Does the company you rent from have different models to rent? Or are they all the same ski? If they do have different ones, try something else. Better, worse, indifferent?
- Did you buy the Cheyennes online or at a brick and mortar store? If it wasn't online, take the skis back to the place you bought them, tell them about your experience and ask if they'll give you credit towards a different ski.

The bad vibes is why I went with a seasonal rental vs just the weekend rental. I have no intentions of hopping on those things again this season. I might change my mind but...:fear:.

As for your questions:
- The rental place does have other skis but I got a beginner package and IDK what else they have at that level. I think I saw a couple of Head options. They have up to demo level options as well if I wanted to go that route. Haven't really looked into it, so I don't know what exact models are available.
- I bought the Cheyennes online, so no luck returning them.

Honestly I'm leaning towards selling them and starting from scratch. I wouldn't mind a beginner ski if the fun factor is there. I could see myself using them 3 plus years as I don't get as much hill time as most of you ladies. The rentals are narrow (70mm), floppy, and beat up but I have fun skiing them.

elemmac

Angel Diva
- The rental place does have other skis but I got a beginner package and IDK what else they have at that level. I think I saw a couple of Head options. They have up to demo level options as well if I wanted to go that route. Haven't really looked into it, so I don't know what exact models are available.

I think this sounds like the perfect place for you to (re-?)start. If you ever feel like the skis you have are limiting you, try going up a size or see what they have for their intermediate ski package. Starting out is a lot of trial and error, and learning what you like and dislike. Good luck and happy skiing!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hunch is that you bought skis that are quite a bit too long for your current skill set.

That's what I think. I bought some 170cm skis once and on steep slopes I couldn't ski for **** on them - although I'm only 5'7.

My current skis are 160 (Rossi Temptation 80) and I think that's my ideal length.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NEW UPDATE!

During Diva West I decided to try the Cheyennes again because I have been skiing much better now compared to the beginning of the season. I took them to a green, got off the lift, and… they were ok. The tips didn’t cross and the squirrelly feeling was gone. I was shocked! I was nervous the whole time I was on them, just waiting for that horrible sensation to come back. Turning them still wasn’t the best but I could. I took them to a blue run and was so afraid of them I couldn’t ski properly. They had bad mojo all over them.

After my Demo Day, I went to a local shop to price new skis. Started talking to the tech about my problems with the Cheyennes and he was surprised. He said they should be the perfect ski for me. I said I had them with me and he said he would like to look at them. He checked the tune and said it seemed a little off. He proceeded to take a stone to them free of charge (I think it was a really slow day).

Decided to take them out one finally time. This time, I wasn’t afraid. I had been on 8 different skis with varying success so I knew I could get on different skis and just ski. These shouldn’t be any different.

I don’t know what the deal is with these. I took them down a blue run that I’ve done multiple times and it was not great. I felt like it took forever to get to the lodge. What is the deal?! I think they just may not be the ski for me:noidea:.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If someone recommends a ski as being a good fit for you, it may be worth demo-ing it. Once you've been on the ski you can then blissfully ignore all of the advice, reviews, and comments about that ski and simply decide whether you liked it or not. And if you don't like it, dump it like a bad date and don't let anyone try to tell you about it's good qualities or where it went to college.

I was bopping around the shops near Killington yesterday sort of halfway hoping someone had a demo pair of Volkl Kanjos they were selling cheap. I tried them out a few months ago and really enjoyed them. They would be a nice complement to the rather more intense RTM 84s, which require an alertness of effort and focus that I'm not always inclined to provide.

I bopped into one shop, and the two staffers immediately said "oh, we don't carry that ski. We just don't like it" and proceeded to insist that what I wanted was a Kenja. Which at my size contains two sheets of metal and is 5mm wider than the Kanjo. So basically I went in wanting a Jimmy Buffett-level of challenge and they offered me a Wagner opera, the one that takes like three days to listen to.

They were absolutely earnest in their advice, too. No bad intent. But boy was it ill-suited advice.

Last edited:

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so sorry to hear that the Cheyennes are not working out for you. I bought the same skis a year or two ago in size 163 (or 164). I'm 5'8" 125 lbs and now in my 7th year of skiing. I had a few seasons of 30-40 days here in Colorado but will be under 20 days this season. I too had some bad ski purchases during my first and second years of skiing. I bought the Cheyennes without a demo, and I love these skis! I ski mostly at Winter Park/Mary Jane and like to ski groomed runs and easier bump runs although I'll do the black bump runs on MJ with my kids (who are way better skiers than I am!). I have the Black Pearls (88 width) also, but I like the Cheyenne's better. I skied the Cirque last weekend for the first time (yes, I was scared!) and used the Cheyennes. It's a bummer than the Cheyennes are not working out for you, but it does sound like it's best to sell and switch to a different ski. I think I was just lucky with the Cheyennes. So many skis out there that it's tough to know what to get.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat 'dump it like a bad date and don't let anyone try to tell you about it's good qualities or where it went to college.' :rotf: Love it!

Re: new skis. I haven't liked any, really, since my old skis died. I have one day on a new pair, at a longer length. Not in love yet and may not be. But that's OK. I'm figuring out what I want is basically the same characteristics of the old ones. Short turn radius and mega forgiving. Doubt if I'll find a 2013 Nordica Belle to Belle that isn't beat to death, though!

If you don't trust them after a bunch of times on them, off they go!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first day out was no fun at all! I will leave out the play by play (even though I'm dying to vent about it) and get to the point.

I bought a pair of skis and I think they are too long for me at this stage. I was crossing tips all day. At the end of last season I was skiing mostly parallel and could hockey stop. Yesterday I was in a wedge mostly, couldn't hockey stop, or really even turn. I felt as if I was fighting them all day. I was so miserable and discouraged. Thought about renting on the hill but didn't want pay for the half day of use.

I called it early and just went home. My first day on skis wasn't as bad as yesterday. Maybe it's not the length but the ski in general? Regardless, I'm going to look at getting a season rental. There's no way I'm getting back on those things.

So should I:

1. Sell the skis while they are still in pretty good condition (though I nicked them a little from all the tip crossing) and not another year older.

or

2. Keep them and wait until I progress into them.

Stats:
Skis: 2016 Blizzard Cheyenne 170cm
Height, weight: 6'0" 165lbs
Previous Rentals: K2 Amp Strike 153cm
I just say this and don't want to jump start a thread that may already be settled, but...
Two things.

• The skis are the right size for your size but you're coming from a 153 to a 170 which is a big jump. You could have gotten on some longer skis incrementally to get you to the 170.
  • If you don't want the Cheyennes, I'll take them. (just kidding, but those are super fun skis if you get them figured out)

I skied the Cheyennes in 163 and loved them. Then someone gave me a pair of 170 Latigo's to try which have a little metal in them. WOW! I freaking Loved loved loved them!
I loaned them to a friend two years ago and have borrowed them back a couple times to play around, but she owns them now because she dint' want to let them go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna