• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: My New Skis are Miserable

What do you think?

• Sell the Skis

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Keep the Skis

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
I don't have quite the experience these ladies have, or their impressive knowledge of different skis (it is pretty amazing) but I think that they all have very good points. You are way early in the season and are still working on your basic technique and trying to stay out of bad habits.

I'm not the one trying to go down the hill on those skis. I can't tell you if you are doing something wrong of if the skis are off or just off for you, but I can say that you are able to take this in hand and get it resolved.

I would take the skis to the shop like they suggested and make sure everything is set up right and tuned well. I would also go with a rental ski for at least a little bit to make sure that you have yourself back together and that the boots are not the issue.

Lastly, take lessons. I've been skiing almost a quarter of a century with 10 years as a patroller and even a season of instructing, and you know what, I still take lesions as often as practical. Last night my favorite instructor, who is also a patroller, and has been skiing professionally for over 35 years, was taking a lesson.

We can always learn something more and we can always improve. Work on increasing your skills and at least have yourself back comfortable to where you were last year, then come back and visit these Cheyenne's again. If by the end of the season you don't think they are going to do it for you, then look to find them a new home.

That's my 2 cents (and that may be overcharging. lol)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't tell you if you are doing something wrong

And you know ... even if she is doing something wrong, that doesn't mean she should have skis that punish her for being imperfect. (But I still think she should take lessons, because everyone should take lessons!)

Lastly, take lessons. I've been skiing almost a quarter of a century with 10 years as a patroller and even a season of instructing, and you know what, I still take lesions as often as practical. Last night my favorite instructor, who is also a patroller, and has been skiing professionally for over 35 years, was taking a lesson.

Instructors take more lessons than anyone ... except maybe racers. Lindsey Vonn has an instructor - they're just called "coach."

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
And you know ... even if she is doing something wrong, that doesn't mean she should have skis that punish her for being imperfect. (But I still think she should take lessons, because everyone should take lessons!)
Instructors take more lessons than anyone ... except maybe racers. Lindsey Vonn has an instructor - they're just called "coach."

You are absolutely right on all counts. I don't advocate skiing on skis that you are miserable in, I would just want to make sure it was the skis that were making me miserable.

(and yes instructors are the only ones who take more lessons than patrollers. Well good instructors take lots of lessons, the bad ones.....)

marzNC

Angel Diva
My first day out was no fun at all! I will leave out the play by play (even though I'm dying to vent about it) and get to the point.

I bought a pair of skis and I think they are too long for me at this stage. I was crossing tips all day. At the end of last season I was skiing mostly parallel and could hockey stop. Yesterday I was in a wedge mostly, couldn't hockey stop, or really even turn. I felt as if I was fighting them all day. I was so miserable and discouraged. Thought about renting on the hill but didn't want pay for the half day of use.

. . .

Stats:
Skis: 2016 Blizzard Cheyenne 170cm
Height, weight: 6'0" 165lbs
Previous Rentals: K2 Amp Strike 153cm
So new boots too, correct? What trails did you start on? Green? Did you try just sliding across the hill to get used to the longer length? I assume you were skiing a mountain you know pretty well. Is that the case?

I just had my first experience on tele skis last weekend. The way the instructor got things started made a big difference in how quickly I gained confidence. We spent 10-15 min before riding a lift. Each slide distance was no more than 15 ft. It definitely worked better for me to have an instructor suggesting baby steps with new equipment. We did each exercise 2-3 times until he could tell that I had the basic idea. For what it's worth, I never fell during the 2-hour lesson. Did get in a few easy tele turns by the end of the lesson.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, thank you ladies. Helpful as always! I've decided to get the skis tuned but also rent another pair of skis for comparison.

When getting them tuned, how will you know if they did it right? Should the skis get a 1/1 to make them easier? Right now they have a 2/1, I asked the shop to check just in case I wanted to tune them myself one day.

So new boots too, correct? What trails did you start on? Green? Did you try just sliding across the hill to get used to the longer length? I assume you were skiing a mountain you know pretty well. Is that the case?

Trails... two bunny slopes/beginner areas and an easy green at which point I threw in the towel. As for knowing the mountain, not really. Besides learning there on the same bunny slope, never been on any of it's actually trails.

Didn't mean to make seem like I hate lessons. Completely understand their importance and plan on taking more for sure but sometimes I just want to ski. I want to unplug and just go for it.

I might need to give a little more background. I feel like I'm not explaining it right... I'm only on my 6th ski day ever. Skiing felt natural that first day and I think it's because of all the rollerblading from my youth. I never struggled and that's what made it fun. I was always one of the better students in my lessons (I've had 4 so far). In 5 days I went up 4 skill levels (out of nine). Please don't take this as me bragging because I know there are better progression stories out there but where my excitement for the sport comes from. I was thrilled to finally find something I was naturally good at and believe me I've tried a lot of things.

The sensations yesterday were a whole different beast, if it had been my first day it would've been the last.

Brenda T.

Certified Ski Diva
Well, thank you ladies. Helpful as always! I've decided to get the skis tuned but also rent another pair of skis for comparison.
Didn't mean to make seem like I hate lessons. Completely understand their importance and plan on taking more for sure but sometimes I just want to ski. I want to unplug and just go for it.
I was thrilled to finally find something I was naturally good at and believe me I've tried a lot of things.
The sensations yesterday were a whole different beast, if it had been my first day it would've been the last.

My first time skiing, I was 16 and had been talked into helping with the Winter Special Olympics. At the end of the day they gave me a ski pass. I ended up going with my best friend and I planned to spend the entire time on the bunny slopes but after about 30 minutes, my friend came up and said "We're going to the bottom" (we're an upside down resort). So I started down and basically would go 5 feet, fall, go 10 feet fall. and kept that up all the way to the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom I didn't think I'd ever ski again. Still due to the help I'd been with the Olympians, I'd been offered a job in Ski Rental. That came with a free ski pass and so I started playing. I also talked to people and after finishing High School working there, I got pretty good.

My point is that, you'll have good days and bad day. Sometimes the bad days are really bad. Don't be discouraged. Everything is a learning experience and you can overcome anything.

Remind me to tell you someday about the AWESOME yard sale I had in front of the Ski Patrol director and the senior tobogganing instructor on my first run down the hill on my first shift as a member of the Ski Patrol. It was EPIC. lol. :yardsale::rotf:

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My point is that, you'll have good days and bad day. Sometimes the bad days are really bad. Don't be discouraged. Everything is a learning experience and you can overcome anything.

Remind me to tell you someday about the AWESOME yard sale I had in front of the Ski Patrol director and the senior tobogganing instructor on my first run down the hill on my first shift as a member of the Ski Patrol. It was EPIC. lol. :yardsale::rotf:

Thank you @Brenda T. Yesterday wasn't the end of the world just.... confusing. When I have my first epic yard sale, I'll think of your story and say a least my job wasn't on the line :hail::laughter:!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

When getting them tuned, how will you know if they did it right? Should the skis get a 1/1 to make them easier? Right now they have a 2/1, I asked the shop to check just in case I wanted to tune them myself one day.

Trails... two bunny slopes/beginner areas and an easy green at which point I threw in the towel. As for knowing the mountain, not really. Besides learning there on the same bunny slope, never been on any of it's actually trails.

I might need to give a little more background. I feel like I'm not explaining it right... I'm only on my 6th ski day ever. Skiing felt natural that first day and I think it's because of all the rollerblading from my youth. I never struggled and that's what made it fun. I was always one of the better students in my lessons (I've had 4 so far). In 5 days I went up 4 skill levels (out of nine). Please don't take this as me bragging because I know there are better progression stories out there but where my excitement for the sport comes from. I was thrilled to finally find something I was naturally good at and believe me I've tried a lot of things.

Okay, six days and 2/3 of them in lessons - I understand your point about not always wanting to take lessons!

Remind me - day one this season - was it in the new boots? You said day one was good, didn't you?

marzNC

Angel Diva

Does help to know more about your experience so far. The first few levels of the nine commonly used by ski schools are meant to help get people into a compatible group. To jump up to Level 4 or 5 quickly is normal for athletic adults who don't have fear issues. People who like rollerblading, ice skating, ballet, or gymnastics often make very fast progress the first few times on skis. Especially with good instructors.

While bunny hills are where initial sliding needs to happen, going slow can make it more difficult to turn skis that are designed for more experienced skiers. Given your height/weight, the construction of the Cheyennes is probably more related to how they ski than the length. As others have mentioned, not really meant for a beginner. But you should keep them for a season at least.

Have you read the thread about ski length? It's the one where some Divas shared their stats and ski length(s), not really a discussion about how to choose the right length.

When my daughter was learning, I would make her do a day of ski school by the second or third day back on the slopes. Even when she was skiing the blacks at our small hill (more like blue out at a big mountain). Helped avoid developing bad habits.

Although I learned to ski a long time ago in middle school. I remember very clearly how much fun it was. And I had to hike for every run and was using straight skis that were over my head. That was the normal length back then. I was very, very sore the next morning but couldn't wait to do it again. Didn't ski much until I got my daughter started just over 10 years ago. By then I was in my 50s. Had I known what I know now about ski technique fundamentals that I've learned from good instructors, I would've started investing in lessons for myself when I put my daughter in ski school. Fair to say that skiing blue runs is more fun than greens. I had fun on blue groomers for decades as a working adult with not that much vacation time or money for ski trips (live in North Carolina, not exactly ski country).

You'll get it. I can tell you are hooked already. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New boots+new skis that are MUCH longer than you are used to would definitely = a pretty frustrating experience!
Definitely take one variable out, as has been suggested, and ski the new boots on a shorter ski. You made a HUGE jump in length. I'd not even spend money on a tune just yet--get out on the new boots on a shorter ski first. My hunch is that you bought skis that are quite a bit too long for your current skill set. Attempting to work those skis could create some defensive skiing habits and trust me (speaking from experience!) you don't want to develop defensive skiing habits, as they will haunt you for a very long time.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:grouphug:Thanks for the sanity check everyone! Love this community!

Okay, six days and 2/3 of them in lessons - I understand your point about not always wanting to take lessons!

Remind me - day one this season - was it in the new boots? You said day one was good, didn't you?

Yeah at this point I want to free ski some to be able to describe to the instructor issues to work on directly. The lessons so far have been just basic instruction, none of the nitty gritty details I know that comes with higher ski levels.

As for the boots, they are leaps and bounds above my sloppy rentals. Snug everywhere without pain, yet. Some circulation problems but it may be that my feet aren't used to the confinement yet. I'm going wait before panicking on that front.

Does help to know more about your experience so far. The first few levels of the nine commonly used by ski schools are meant to help get people into a compatible group. To jump up to Level 4 or 5 quickly is normal for athletic adults who don't have fear issues. People who like rollerblading, ice skating, ballet, or gymnastics often make very fast progress the first few times on skis. Especially with good instructors.

Admittedly, my progression has been by brute force not finesse. Muscling the skis around, way too much upper body rotation, not patient with my turns, etc etc. While it's fun, I know it's not proper technique. The goal was to work on these things this season, but not from zero!

So... my new plan is going to be leave the Cheyennes alone for now, rent some shorter skis, and see how it goes.

It's irritating but I know I'm not the first person to make a bad ski choice.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO, those skis are not the right ski for you--way too stiff. Sell them. According to this review, they are stiff skis for advanced to expert skiers who want power and control:
https://www.skis.com/Blizzard-Cheyenne-Womens-Skis-2015/362932P,default,pd.html

This one says intermediate advanced.
https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/blizzard-cheyenne-womens-2016

I had a class with a woman who was on a pair of incredibly still Black Diamond skis and they totally owned her. I loaned her a pair of my skis and not only should she ski on them, she had fun. Like you, she thought it was her and was beating herself up about it. Getting on a new pair convinced her otherwise.

Having the right ski for your level is KEY to enjoying skiing.

mustski

Angel Diva
If you had Goldsmith’s check the tune, it’s highly likely the tune is fine. Those guys have been doing this for years. Anyone can make a mistake, but it’s more likely too advanced a ski at this point. Hang in there! It will get better!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for the boots, they are leaps and bounds above my sloppy rentals. Snug everywhere without pain, yet. Some circulation problems but it may be that my feet aren't used to the confinement yet. I'm going wait before panicking on that front.

Right. I'm just trying to isolate whether the problem could also relate to the boots, which has nothing to do with fit, necessarily. So, were you in the new boots on the first day when you had fun?

Admittedly, my progression has been by brute force not finesse. Muscling the skis around, way too much upper body rotation, not patient with my turns, etc etc. While it's fun, I know it's not proper technique. The goal was to work on these things this season, but not from zero!

Early in my ski life, an instructor told me that my technique was "very athletic." It took me years to realize that this was NOT a compliment!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm from the school of thought that the wrong skis too early in a skiing career will hold people back. There's been discussion on this in this forum. These skis may be good later in the season/your ski career, but if they were so challenging the other day, you should give serious thought to using other skis until you have more than 6 days on the snow. :smile:

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yea the thing is the specs on this ski was all over the place. I believe there's a recent thread asking about how to interpret ski reviews.

This review on Evo has them as beginner-intermediate. It's the 2017 but the dimensions haven't changed, I think the materials might have.

This review from Ski Canada Magazine says: With a soft tip and a light feel, the Cheyenne was in no rush to get on edge or race to the bottom. “It would work for someone who likes to relax and smear her way down the hill,” wrote Anne Terwiel. Several testers noted difficulty getting this ski to carve, making it more suited to intermediate to advanced skiers who are happy skidding and smearing turns, where it’s responsive, forgiving and smooth on and off the groomers. “Easy turn initiation and feels like butter underfoot, but don’t overpower this one,” said Nina Gretzmacher.

Relaxing and smearing is where I'm at!! As for the intermediate-advance rating, I didn't want to buy a beginner ski that I would out grow quickly which is the advice here a lot of the time.

Eh... I took a gamble and lost I suppose.

newboots

Angel Diva
So you’re the second person this week to be completely confounded by these online reviews. This is tough - we could walk into a shop and hope we could trust the sales person. We could ask each other. (+1!). We could read even MORE online reviews and try to synthesize them, or determine which are the most reliable.

My BF tunes skis, and calls his approach “introducing people to their edges.” He asks a lot of questions about how they ski, what kind of terrain they prefer, when their skis feel best, and tunes accordingly.

When I was floundering around trying to figure out how to choose a ski to buy, I read reviews, talked to shop folks, and compared specs. I wanted skis before the season started, and didn’t demo. The best help I got was from @SnowHot , who asked me a bunch of questions that I was surprised I could answer, and made a series of recommendations. I also found the manufacturer’s website really helpful, comparing their skis. And of course, great discussions here that helped me figure out how to think about this.

I’m in my second season, and bought Blizzard Quattros 7.2. So far, great! I’m still getting my Ski legs back but I can tell they’re going to work well!

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right. I'm just trying to isolate whether the problem could also relate to the boots, which has nothing to do with fit, necessarily. So, were you in the new boots on the first day when you had fun?

Early in my ski life, an instructor told me that my technique was "very athletic." It took me years to realize that this was NOT a compliment!

Um... new boots and new skis on the same day. I never tried the boots on the shorter skis when I had fun.

As for the athletic skiing ...:ski: I probably look like this dude! Twisting and laughing all the way down. But I'm looking to actually improve so I'll try to refrain from it.

So you’re the second person this week to be completely confounded by these online reviews. This is tough - we could walk into a shop and hope we could trust the sales person. We could ask each other. (+1!). We could read even MORE online reviews and try to synthesize them, or determine which are the most reliable.

I've seen on this site and on Pugski where they were compared to the Volkl Yumi which was recommended to lower level skiers as well (whether or not they should IDK). Like this review from Ski Essentials of the Yumi: Overall the Yumi retains its strength as a great choice for intermediates or less aggressive skiers of any ability levels. In fact, it’s so approachable we think athletic beginner skiers could even get on a pair right away and would probably be fine.

:noidea: Maybe they aren't so comparable...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna