• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Montana 2018-19: Big Sky, Bridger, Whitefish, etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So who is going to ski in Montana for 2018-19 season? I know there are a few Divas besides myself who are headed to Big Sky. For me, that means skiing at Bridger too. Anyone going to Whitefish?

There are also less well know places such as Red Lodge and Discovery in Montana. I may make it to one of them before heading to Bozeman.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the reasons I want to get back to Big Sky is to ride all the new lifts since I was last there in 2012. The latest new lift is the 8-seater bubble lift that replaces Ramcharger for Andesite Mt. Also means that Shedhorn will be a detachable quad. Same lift Ramcharger 8 is replacing but with some upgrades. Also means a bit more intermediate-friendly terrain off Shedhorn apparently.

https://liftblog.com/2018/10/25/meet-big-skys-innovative-new-lifts/

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am planning to finally ski Big Sky this winter! It’s only 2 1/2 hours away from me, so I need to finally get there. I was thinking about going for a few days, but the lodging is really expensive. Might do a few day trips instead. Does it get crowded there between Christmas and New Years?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am planning to finally ski Big Sky this winter! It’s only 2 1/2 hours away from me, so I need to finally get there. I was thinking about going for a few days, but the lodging is really expensive. Might do a few day trips instead. Does it get crowded there between Christmas and New Years?
Yep, no really inexpensive lodging within 20 min of Big Sky unless you can share with someone. Bucks T-4 isn't too bad. There are a few motels in Belgrade but that's an hour away. Includes a Super 8.

My daughter had a great time at Big Sky with another family for Christmas week a few years ago. No issues with lift lines at all.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I bought MCP and have Big Sky as 3rd bonus day. However, I don't know if my Big Sky trip will materialize due to work reason. I remain hopeful.
If I do get to go, certainly I will hit Bridger.
My preferred week will be in mid March during spring break if work does not interfere.
If work interferes, I may go end of Feb to early March. That will mean I may miss 2 classes.
I haven't made any travel plans besides lodging because of the work situation.

There are also less well know places such as Red Lodge and Discovery in Montana.
Good to know! I will let my ski friend, Eunice, know about these 2 places also. She was asking me the other day where else to ski besides Big Sky, I only mentioned Bridger Bowl. She will be going w/ her sister's family the week b/w x'mas and new year.

Ramcharger - to my knowledge, it is the only 8-seater in the U.S, can someone confirm?
U.S. is lagging behind in this regard. Austria has the highest # of 8-seater, followed by Switzerland, France and Italy (not in correct order, based on what I recall).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ramcharger - to my knowledge, it is the only 8-seater in the U.S, can someone confirm?
U.S. is lagging behind in this regard. Austria has the highest # of 8-seater, followed by Switzerland, France and Italy (not in correct order, based on what I recall).
Yes, first 8-seater in the U.S. Also the first Doppelmayr D-Line lift in N. America. That's why Peter of Liftblog made a trip to see the installation in person. In general, Europe is far ahead of N. America in terms of lift technology. That's one reason the Big Sky marketing tag line is "America's Alp."

The Shedhorn ride time will be 4 minutes, instead of 11. Sounds good to me!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, no really inexpensive lodging within 20 min of Big Sky unless you can share with someone.
I might actually do that.

My daughter had a great time at Big Sky with another family for Christmas week a few years ago. No issues with lift lines at all.
Very good to know! Not sure when I’m going yet, but it’s good to hear that Christmas week isn’t crowded.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
We dropped the ball on ski passes etc this year. So we've decided to do some short trips/visits to smaller ski areas in the northern rockies instead. We've got a plan to check out Snowbowl, Great Divide and Discovery - we may not hit up all of them, we may pick 1 or 2, and mix in some cross country skiing days in Glacier.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband & I got another couple we are friends with to split a condo at the base area with us, so I just booked a 3-day trip to Big Sky in February. Very excited! This will actually be the first trip away to another resort that I have done. (I always just get a season pass to Grand Targhee, plus maybe a couple of days at Jackson Hole and backcountry skiing, all very close to where I live. This June I did a weekend trip to ski Beartooth Pass and Beartooth Basin too, which was so much fun.)

courtski

Diva in Training
I'm looking to head to Big Sky for the first time in March. Anyone with any insight as to typical conditions in March? (I do realize this varies greatly). We were at Sunshine last year in March and it was divine...could have been January the conditions were so good.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Connections currently at Whitefish:

Not yet fully open. This is not unusual, but it's been a while since they weren't fully open by Christmas. Snow quality is excellent, but there's little pine trees poking through on many trails. Crowds started arriving December 21. In spite of the fact that Hellroaring Basin isn't open, there were no lines on the lifts I skied on today, but that's because I avoided the high speed lifts. There was far more traffic than normal on the trails I was on. Visibility up high was BAD. Visibility on the trails I went to was perfect. Definitely helps to be a local. Actively snowing, about four inches of fresh over corduroy on the trails I hit. Too soon for me to be off piste and given the sketchy coverage on some of the trails, you're taking a big risk off piste at this point.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm looking to head to Big Sky for the first time in March. Anyone with any insight as to typical conditions in March? (I do realize this varies greatly). We were at Sunshine last year in March and it was divine...could have been January the conditions were so good.
Are you aware that there are a couple of Divas who are instructors at Big Sky? Paging @Skisailor

I'm going in late February along with a few friends. The last week of Feb, which goes into March, is when a group gathering is happening for another ski forum. They chose the week because of the likelihood of good conditions at that time.

By the way, once you have enough posts, you'll be about to see the Meet on The Hill (MOTH) threads that are for Divas Only where people discuss the idea of meeting up for a few runs. Also the planning for what are called Diva Weeks that happen annually.

Last edited:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
As you say - conditions are unpredictable. We’ve had a couple of pretty dry Marches over the past 5 years and some really wonderful ones too, as far as snow goes. Ya never know. Fingers crossed.

Warmer temps and longer days make for some really great skiing weather though. And because Big Sky has so many aspects facing in different directions you can almost always find a place on that mountain that is skiing well.

If you like the statistics game, Big Sky has the lowest standard deviation for snowfall totals of any major US resort. So we have fewer highs and lows but more consistency in our annual snowfall amounts than many ski areas.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Christmas Eve morning on the Ant Hill

48406517_10156815066567488_4263323660590252032_o.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
The new lift for Shedhorn looks great! It's the quad that was moved over from the base as part of putting in the 8-seat bubble lift for Andesite Mtn. Riding Shedhorn gives a good view of the backside of Lone Peak. Can take the tram up without skis for the view, but can't see Liberty (easiest way down) walking around the summit.

Pics of the Shedhorn Quad
https://liftblog.com/shedhorn-4-big-sky-mt/

View of Liberty in Feb 2012, the little "ants" are people
Big Sky Liberty Feb20121.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know some people think that an 8-seat bubble lift is silly, but I'm enough of a geek to think the technology itself is pretty cool. Looking forward to riding Ramcharger 8 in February.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They moved Chair 5 to a new location here last season, climbing over very steep terrain. Now this terrain was always really challenging to me and with the new Chair it got increased visibility and it is now absolutely pounded all the time, so I've stopped skiing it. It was fine when it was nice soft snow and no one there, but now it's all moguled up, with lots of traffic, trees, cliffs, etc. Frankly riding that chair and looking at the terrain is discomfiting. Add to that, there's no foot rest and if it stops for any reason, my legs barely work to get off the chair as I lose circulation.

Well, today that chair stopped. Fortunately I wasn't on it because I don't do Christmas week. They were still unloading it three hours later. I can't even imagine how terrifying it must have been for some. It's all black and double black terrain it passes over.

NBC Montana: 140 people evacuated from Whitefish Mountain Resort lift.
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/140-people-evacuated-from-whitefish-mountain-resort-lift

IMG_9010.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna