• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Montana 2018-19: Big Sky, Bridger, Whitefish, etc.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ironically one reason I don't ski in the northeast in Jan-Feb is that it's often too cold. My memories of Stowe are skiing in single digits. Although with the dampness of the northeast, it feels that much colder than single digits out west. Found that out at Wachusett one day when I was definitely underdressed even though it was in the 20s.

I’m fine with most any temperature as long as I’m prepared.. One day in Aspen caught me off guard last week starting in the single digits, I had dressed for the high later in the day and it was darn cold regardless of the dryness! I think this was the first trip west I’ve ever felt cold which was new. Strong sun eventually warms things so nicely out there though and all is forgiven! :smile:

FoxyRoxy

Diva in Training
Starting to watch the weather forecast for Big Sky since I'll be there in a few weeks. Not so much for snow, although of course that's of interest.

According to friends who live in Big Sky Mountain Village and elsewhere on the mountain, Big Sky is UNDER-reporting snowfall of late. Guesses for why this might be so range from, “Skier count is high enough!” , to “Who knows? . But when Big Sky reported 2” over the weekend, one fellow was plowing 16” from neighborhood drives and another gentleman trudged through 18” to get to his car. Even in the Meadow, there were 30cm to contend with. It’s been warmer than usual for late January and early February, but they are skiing the trees with glee.

Enjoy your trip!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watching the Big Sky cams today and I noticed how cold it was. Not many bodies out there today! I thought both my recent visits were incrediblely comfortable for January. I also heard from friends who own out there that there was some scratching of heads on the official resort snowfall totals.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Lots of snow and lots of cold at the moment.

The temps should be moderating some over the next week. This is one of the few really cold snaps we've had this winter.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I’d like to get to the MOTH thread, will get there, I’m chugging along. It does appear we may have an opportunity to catch one another on 2/27.

Re: magic carpet. My bad, they call Ramcharger 8’s a loading carpet. My lift speak is awful, although we enjoyed following all the lift news, videos and pics coming out of Big Sky the last three years.

Re: Challenger. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the newer ride.

Look for a PM since you don't have enough posts to see my Meet On The Hill (MOTH) thread in the Divas Only section. I think my trip to Big Sky may overlap with your next trip.

Do you mean conveyor loading for Ram 8? When I see "magic carpet" I think of what beginners use. I'm used to conveyor loading because my home hill has had it for around 10 years now. Typically beginners get how to load with the help of conveyor loading faster than advanced skiers. At least, that was my observation when it was added to the Supreme triple at Alta before the lift was replaced completely.

What I'm looking forward to checking out is the Challenger quad. The ride on the old double was slow and a bit unnerving, especially the first time (six years ago) in low snow conditions when the landing pad was pretty small with lots of rocks around.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Look for a PM since you don't have enough posts to see my Meet On The Hill (MOTH) thread in the Divas Only section. I think my trip to Big Sky may overlap with your next trip.

Do you mean conveyor loading for Ram 8? When I see "magic carpet" I think of what beginners use. I'm used to conveyor loading because my home hill has had it for around 10 years now. Typically beginners get how to load with the help of conveyor loading faster than advanced skiers. At least, that was my observation when it was added to the Supreme triple at Alta before the lift was replaced completely.

What I'm looking forward to checking out is the Challenger quad. The ride on the old double was slow and a bit unnerving, especially the first time (six years ago) in low snow conditions when the landing pad was pretty small with lots of rocks around.

The "new" Challenger lift is a carpet loaded triple. It has shaved a few minutes off the ride which is nice. The dismount still needs you to pay attention though. It's a little wider with a ramp that is shorter and less steep. But the "box" - flat part of the platform - is short, so the dismount feels very abrupt, especially because the chair is now travelling faster. Be ready for it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The "new" Challenger lift is a carpet loaded triple. It has shaved a few minutes off the ride which is nice. The dismount still needs you to pay attention though. It's a little wider with a ramp that is shorter and less steep. But the "box" - flat part of the platform - is short, so the dismount feels very abrupt, especially because the chair is now travelling faster. Be ready for it.
Boy, that brings back memories of my first lift ride up the old Challenger lift. Right up the ridge line with a drop off on either side was pretty different to start with. It was a low snow winter, so the unload landing area was pretty small with lots of big rocks.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today's evolving snow report. I wasn't skiing anyway, it's a Saturday.

====
8:30 SPECIAL NOTICE: All Chairs will be closed today. The Base Lodge and Ed & Mully's will be open. Again, this is decision is based on the extreme conditions on the upper and lower mountain. Rest those legs up, hibernate for the day and get ready for tomorrow. With all this blowing snow, new snow, and snow from the trees, Sunday's going to be another great powder day!

7:15 Update: Chairs 1, 8, 7, 11, 5, and the T-Bar will not open today. Check back for possible closures on the frontside/lower mountain lifts. These conditions are not meant for humans or even a Yeti for that matter...

6:00 a.m. Report: Dispatch from the Rebel Base on Hoth... It's a full-on blizzard up here. Temperatures are in the negatives across the mountain and we're looking at a high of -9 for the summit today and a wind chill factor as low as -52 with sustained winds at 33 mph. Chair 1 (as well as all the lifts it services) will likely close today. While we'd like to have all normal chairs running, safety is our first concern. Check back with the Snow Report around 7:45 a.m. this morning for updated info on closures and conditions.

Please note that widespread blowing snow is likely playing with today's reported new snow and settled base numbers. Trails are being covered almost immediately after being groomed. Dry snow in the trees is being whipped off and adding to new snow totals. Depths across the mountain will vary widely.

Special Note: Night Skiing for this evening has been canceled due to the low temps, sustained winds and wind chill factors. Today's kids' programs are canceled due to weather as well. Group and Private Lessons will be available. Sunday kids' programs are still scheduled at this time, however we will update this report and contact parents if conditions change.

The Whitefish Whiteout Race has been postponed to February 23rd due to the extremely cold temperatures and will chill as well.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
“...These conditions are not meant for humans or even a Yeti for that matter...”

:brr:

skigirl72

Certified Ski Diva
I just got back from my trip to Big sky, so as requested by @marzNC... here’s my report:

It was COLD!! We got in Saturday evening and decided before we got there to not ski Sunday but just get our bearings. We were both severely sleep deprived even before the full day of travel to get there. It snowed a lot on Sunday, sometimes heavily, and at the end of the day some others were talking about white out conditions and falling because of not being able to see.

Monday was great. I don’t remember the exact temperature, but it didn’t feel as cold as the thermometer made me expect, even based on my experience with Colorado feeling much warmer than the east coast at the same thermometer reading. My bf is recovering from back surgery- can’t feel his left foot and has bad tendonitis in his right hip, so we didn’t want to wander too far in case he suddenly realized he didn’t have anything left. So we rode up the new Ramcharger 8 and hung out around that area, skiing back down various runs and then spending the afternoon on the back side riding the Southern Comfort lift and checking out the trails it serves. That lift line, El Dorado, was really fun, despite being a green. It was deep and soft and fast all in different areas. And the lift itself is relatively low to the ground which my bad (who HATES ski lifts) was a big fan of. There was something like 14” of new snow, which wasn’t exactly powder, more heavy and chewed up, at least where I was, but still soft and fun and awesome. Tuesday started out Sunny and beautiful (cold, but still not too bad) with conditions a lot like Monday. It started snowing really hard around 2pm and we headed in, not being that adventurous. (My biggest fear skiing is not being able to see where I’m going.)

Wednesday was our day off to snowmobile in Yellowstone National Park. The day started out -9°F but warmed up to a balmy 5° for a little while in the afternoon. Even in the down jumpsuit provided by the tour company I was COLD! Not sure what the slopes were like.

Thursday started out really cold again... I think it was -14°? Just walking out the door I could feel the hairs inside my nose freezing together, and by the time I had my skis on at the base area the water vapor from my nose had frozen on the hairs on my upper lip. I rode up the swift current lift and by the time I got to the top, my fingers and toes were very cold. I was wearing my warmest clothes, that kept me toasty in Banff last year, and still even my arms and legs were chilly. I found the conditions to be completely different from earlier in the week - not sure if it’s because I was in a different area or just because there hadn’t been as much snow as recently, but when I headed up around 9, there were not too many people and lots of fresh courderoy. I was glad I got a chance to ski that as well. I only wish it hadn’t been so cold. I got a few runs in but called it quits early due to not being able to feel half my body parts and to skiing alone, which isn’t my fave... the bad hip had had enough by that point, and we were leaving later that afternoon.

Overall I didn’t ski quite as much as I hoped, and really didn’t explore very much either, which I’m a little disappointed in, but I did have fun and the conditions were great. If I go back someday with a healthy partner, I’ll look forward to seeing more of the mountain.

Oh, and amazing views! I’ve never attached a photo before, but I’m going to try...

Shoot. The photos on my phone are too big. I’ll try resizing them on my computer and making another post

marzNC

Angel Diva
Big Sky getting snow this week, and then it gets frigid. I'll be in Bozeman by 2/18 if everything goes according to plan.

From OpenSnow:
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 5.39.53 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a lesson this morning together with Bill so took very few pictures. Learned a lot from Ric B. (L3, 20 years experience at Bridger), who I first worked with in 2012. Too cold in the afternoon to bother to stop for pictures, but plenty of fun skiing.

Views from the top of Bridger lift
Bridger views Feb2019 - 1.jpgBridger views Feb2019 - 2.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
It snowed more than forecast at Bridger last night. It's a "blue light" powder day! There is a little "blue light" icon on the daily update watch icon on the website.
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 6.44.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 6.42.17 AM.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna