• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2012-13

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking at the vertical for 7Springs, since you are skiing from Mnut Lift 5 mid station then nothing blue at 7Springs should be too much of a challenge. Mnut's full vertical is almost 1100 (top of Lift 6 to the base), while 7Springs is 750 top to bottom. Lost Boy sounds like fun, it's 6950' long, 332' vertical. Southern Comfort (Mnut's long green) is 2300' long, about 200-225' vertical.

If I get the Snowshoe $199 season pass, one reason would be to check out 7Springs next season since there is a free one-day there and Hidden Valley, and Wisp.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Conditions at Mnut were wonderful on Thu! Lots of fresh manmade all over the place. Cold enough all day so that there was very little ice after the sun went down. Had a great Senior Clinic with Walter, together with another couple. Observing an experienced Level 3 instructor get a cautious intermediate to get out of a death wedge in an hour is very enlightening. She was linking turns well off Lift 5 during the second hour. Her husband used to be a Level 2 instructor, but hasn't skied much at all in 10 years. He and I were trying to do basic drills s.l.o.w.l.y while following Walter as he made it look sooo easy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not at Mnut this weekend but wish I could be. It's snowing and 24 degrees as of 9:30am on Sat morning. Feels like Feb, not March!

https://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=728

Hope the weather forecast for the next week holds. Have a plan to head up for a day trip on Sun, March 24, with my daughter and a father & son I met at Blue Knob. They live pretty close to us but the timing has never been right to go together before. Hoping to get in one more Senior Clinic.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went skiing to Roundtop and the conditions were meh - lots of "sugar" snow and lot of icy spots. It was pretty nice in the morning, but closer to noon was getting really icy. I moved to greens slopes and the flat sides of the terrain park - snow was the best there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not at Mnut this weekend but wish I could be. It's snowing and 24 degrees as of 9:30am on Sat morning. Feels like Feb, not March!

https://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=728

Hope the weather forecast for the next week holds. Have a plan to head up for a day trip on Sun, March 24, with my daughter and a father & son I met at Blue Knob. They live pretty close to us but the timing has never been right to go together before. Hoping to get in one more Senior Clinic.
Oops . . . I meant March 10. Mnut plans to stay open until March 17 but only for day skiing after next weekend. Weather forecast looks good for there to be plenty of snow left. Might even get up to an inch of snow mid-week. :banana:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Decided to drive up Sat afternoon so will be at Mnut by mid-morning on March 10. Will wait until things soften up if it gets as cold overnight as predicted right now.

Late season rates started today.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From the Wintergreen snow blog this morning:
"Snow everywhere! Snow is expected to keep falling throughout the day ending sometime tonight. Total accumulation thus far is 10-12 inches with another 8-10 expected today."

Snowing hard at Mnut as of 7am. All schools in that area closed for the day some time late yesterday. Plenty of snow to be seen on the VA511 highway cameras. Could be as much as 18 inches before the storm is over late today! :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Amazing, Mnut had 18 inches as of mid-morning. Seems like 20+ is likely. I imagine Wintergreen could get 24+ inches.

Sounds like WV got a bit less, but still plenty to extend the season. Snowshoe is going stay open until March 31. Those people who bought the $199 pass should have no problem getting their money's worth even before the end of this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Final total posted today by Mnut was 22-24 inches as of 3pm. It hadn't stopped snowing quite yet. Crazy!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Local families are clearly taking advantage of the late season snowstorm. Also there is a special rate when local schools are closed due to snow. Mnut is relatively busy for mid-week. They groomed everything before opening except MAKattack.

Staying cool until the weekend. Perfect timing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
A few pics of Massanutten on March 9. Plenty of the 22 inches from the snowstorm left, even after temps in the 50's today.

Just enough snow left in the valley for a little sliding fun
IMG_1790_zpsaaed1151.jpg

Yes, can ski trees at Mnut ;-)
IMG_1805_zpsa290c34e.jpg

View from the top, some snow left on rooftops
IMG_1809_zps46822723.jpg

Deep at the end of the ramp near the base of Lift 4 for Southern Comfort
IMG_1812_zpsb81fb79e.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten will close after this weekend. Having a special contest on the big terrain park this weekend. Plus other St. Patrick's Day fun. Hope the rain isn't too bad.

Apparently Wintergreen is skiing well this week. Should be open through March 24.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The VA ski areas are enjoying the extended weeks in March, but won't be open long. Massanutten and Homestead have March 17 as the closing day. Mnut has a fun event at the terrain park Sun at 5pm. It's the Dummy Big Air Contest for inanimate skiing or boarding "dummies." Wintergreen moved the pond skim festivities to March 23-24 since they have lots of snow and it's going to rain there this weekend. Bryce is closing on March 22. Bryce is open 10-3 March 18-22 for $20.

There will be skiing in WV through March 31. Definitely at Snowshoe. Canaan Valley is the only place closing this weekend for sure. There is plenty of snow, but per usual people in the southeast aren't thinking about snowsports any more now that the bulbs are up and the flowering trees are budding out.

What's up in PA?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two (Whitetail and Roundtop) of the three resorts in PA, closest to DC/Baltimore area are closing tomorrow. :( The 3rd one (Liberty Mountain) is closing next weekend. I'm going to Whitetail for the last day of local skiing tomorrow and to get bindings on my new Kenjas mounted.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Winter isn't over yet in VA/WV. Been snowing all day at Mnut with the temp on the mountain holding at 32. Apparently steady snow a Timberline is making up for the rainy conditions yesterday for the Snowy Luau festivities. Got an inch between 5:00-7:30am according to the Tline website.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! Conditions at Whitetail were quite good today and I watched pond skimming for a while which was a lot of fun! Also got to ski my brand new Kenjas which are great, will post about them separately. So great day overall! It's too bad Whitetail is closing today, they have plenty of snow, but from what I understand not enough people come this late in season so the resort operation is not profitable

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pond skimming is certainly fun to watch. Wintergreen made a good call to push their pond skim to next weekend. Won't be open during the week and it's going to stay cool so there should be plenty of snow left.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna