• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2012-13

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking good for next weekend as far as the weather goes. The cold returns in time for snowmaking before the crowds hit the slopes. Going up to Mnut with friends and family earlier on Friday than usual because the kids have a 4-day weekend. We'll probably ski mornings and night sessions to avoid the lift lines because the guests are beginners. I'll do the Senior Clinic again on Sun afternoon.

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DS and I are heading to 7 springs for the holiday weekend. Looks like they are going to get a little snow this weekend. The resort is expensive but its super convenient. The condos are a pretty good deal if you have a group.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going to Snowshoe with DH for a week on Sunday - really excited! Looks like it will snow there this weekend hopefully conditions will be good! Question for everyone: anybody know whether it's possible to demo skis at Snowshoe? If yes, where/which shop?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Going to Snowshoe with DH for a week on Sunday - really excited! Looks like it will snow there this weekend hopefully conditions will be good! Question for everyone: anybody know whether it's possible to demo skis at Snowshoe? If yes, where/which shop?

Looks like you may get new snow to play on!

The Snow Barn just outside Silver Creek has demo skis. Not exactly right on the slopes so would only be able to swap out a couple times.
https://www.skibarn.net/ski-snowboa...rt-wv/snowshoe-ski-snowboard-rental-snowcreek

May also be something in the village.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saw snowflakes at Mnut this evening! First a little rain around 5:30. Then a mix, with perhaps 20 min of snow. A couple hours later, the rain/snow clouds were gone and the moon was out.

I seem to have created a Diva family. My friend who came up in early Jan. is back. She is gung ho . . . meaning she and the kids were quite ready to get back on the slopes for another hour even though it was raining. Was quite nice when it turned out to be snow instead.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Skiing in VA can be so variable. Yesterday Massanutten had spring conditions with temps in the 50's. This morning was pretty nice. In the mid-30's with good coverage. Guess frozen granular is the best description. Did have some snowmaking at the top of a couple runs. We skied 9:00-12:00 with minimal lift lines, even for the beginner lifts. Went back to the condo just as the lodge was filling up to capacity. Went back at 4:00. Lift lines were under a 2-min wait. But colder temps meant there was ice pretty much everywhere.

Supposed to be in the teens night, with highs in the 20's on Sun. What a roller coaster!

VASkier

Certified Ski Diva
Did anyone else go to 7 Springs this weekend? We were there Friday - Monday. Sunday and Monday were amazing!

I know this is a bit late (sorry, I didn't see the thread), but we've been skiing as a family at 7 Springs for 5 years now. It's my husband's home mountain, and where my kids are learning. I grew up skiing in Western NY and the Adirondak Mts, so for me the vertical feels a bit short? But there are a variety of trails, the lift lines are never ridiculously long, and we never get bored with it because the mountain is so wide. My only complaint is that the green trails are not great for true beginners. Each one seems to have a stretch that is both narrow and steep at the same time, and they can get REALLY crowded. So crowded that I feel scared that someone will smash into me or my kids - it's happened there before, usually with out-of-control boarders. Overall, though, we really enjoy it! It's too far from Northern VA for a day trip, so we either stay with my inlaws who live right outside of Pittsburgh, or for weekends like this past one, we rent a ski-in/ski-out townhouse with one or more families. It's expensive but worth it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who who ski with a mixed ability group or want 850 vertical with no lift line, consider checking out Massanutten some time. 2.5 hours from the west side of DC with no mountain driving. From Fredericksburg, Richmond, or points east, can cut across the mountains north of Charlottesville without ever getting into Charlottesville traffic. Cheapest way to test it out is $18 Monday Night Madness, which is 4-9pm. All trails are lit for night skiing.

The progression for beginners and intermediates at Mnut is very good. The ski school is stellar for all ages. I've been taking full advantage of the Senior Clinic on Sunday afternoons. $30 for 2 hours with a Level 2 or 3 instructor. Have had a private twice. Also have a 2 hour Ladies Clinic Thursday morning and a Senior Clinic Thursday afternoon.

I've been skiing at Mnut with my daughter since 2004. Ski school had her on black runs in the SE in her third season after 5-10 days on snow her first two seasons (ages 4-6). After checking out a lot of places within a half-day drive of Raleigh, my conclusion is that I like Mnut best for weekends because we get to ski more and wait in lift lines much, much less. The friendly local staff, including manages who have been there for decades, is a plus.

marzNC

Angel Diva

For anyone who wants to ski at Snowshoe during 2012-13 late season and 2013-14, there is a major deal being offered Feb. 19-28, 2013. $199 for an extended season pass. Assuming the resort swap with Wisp, Hidden Valley, and 7Springs happens again next season, could also get 1 free ticket next season plus 50% off later visits (restrictions apply) to those three places in MD, PA. Since Snowshoe is owned by Intrawest, apparently would get $25 off lift tickets at any other Intrawest ski resort (Blue Mtn, Tremblant, Stratton, Winter Park, Steamboat).

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at 7 Springs this weekend and it was awesome!! Everyday was fun. Saturday was fun, Sunday was amazing with all the snow and Monday with that beautiful Sunshine!. I go up virtually every weekend, look for me I have blue feet on my ski poles

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm at Snowshoe and we had a powder day today! I got to ski 4-5 inches of untouched powder in the morning instead of fresh corduroy. :smile: It was a great experience, I just wish I was better at skiing powder. As it turns out I suck at it and skiing pow is very different from skiing firm groomers, which I was getting to be pretty good at.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are going to 7 Springs for the first time on Saturday for the day. Can you rank the blue slopes in terms of steepness for me please? Also are there any greens and blues that are less crowded than others?
Thanks!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe has had a lot of natural snow the conditions are great! I got to ski Western Territory's Cupp Run and Shay's Revenge (the longest and steepest runs at Snowshoe) when they were freshly groomed and that was amazing! Also got to demo Nordica El Paco and Volkl Kendo. Couldn't find women's demo skis in length longer than 160 cm, so had to try men's skis. Will post the reviews later.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm back at Mnut. They are continuing to make snow at night on quite a few trails. It stayed pretty cold all day so there were relatively few ice patches tonight. Of course, there were probably few people around during the day to ski off the new snow made on Tue night. Paradice was pretty nice. Should be very nice Thu morning. :becky:

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tryin2Ski: Where have you been skiing before? I am just curious to give you a frame of reference. A good beginner blue is Wagner Slope - it is the main slope on the front side and is visible from the and isn't very steep for a blue in the mid-atlantic area.
In order of steepness at 7 springs I would rank the blues in the following order Easiest to Most difficult
1. Wagner
2. Alpine Meadows
3. Sunbowl
4. Sunset
5. Giant Boulder
6. Stowe - also has some bumps on it as well
7. Tyrol
8. LIttle North Face
AS for greens, Lost Boy is a nice long run (It is the longest run at 7 springs.) Phillips and Fawn Lane are the two runs that are popular.
Boomerang, another Green run, is also nice except to get back to the main lodge you will need to take Cortina trail (a very easy blue that empties into Wagner bowl back to the lift, or walk from the Avalanche lift back to the main lodge (see the trail map) - I only walked back twice when my husband was still learning to ski several years ago

marzNC

Angel Diva

Turns out that there are several special events at Mnut this weekend, Feb. 23-24. Sat night there is a terrain park competition between three local colleges, JMU, UVA, VT. The SARA race U15-21 championships are Sat & Sun mornings until 1:30pm on Diamond Jim. Sunday there is a race for adaptive skiers called the Independence Cup.

Glad the weather is cold enough for plenty of snowmaking before the weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna