• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2023-24

marzNC

Angel Diva
A bit of cold before another blast of hot air moves up through the NC mountains into the Shenandoah Valley and into PA. Hopefully will another cold front will push into the southeast just before Pres. Day weekend and allow for more snowmaking.

Beech, Sugar, and Cataloochee got natural snow earlier this week. Beech got up to 6 inches!

January 31, 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
The saga of the re-imagining of turning Wolf into Hatley Pointe continues with plenty of attention to social media now that it's clear that the slopes won't open until the 2024-25 season. Sounds like there might even be mountain biking this summer. The food scene is quite vibrant in Asheville (college town, tourist destination, Biltmore house and gardens). The Hatley Pointe restaurant will have to work hard to compete.

There issues for the snowmaking infrastructure is explained at the beginning of the most recent video.

January 30, 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since I have a Special Value Pass for Massanutten, I forgot about the Last Chair Special. For locals, that's one way to help get a friend started who is a beginner of any age or is too busy to justify a season pass and/or season rental. It's good Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 3 to 5pm.

Monday Night Madness has been going on for years. That's the reason night skiing until 9pm still exists on Mondays, in addition to Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. What's new for 2023-24 is that season pass holders can ski off Creekside and Peak from 5 to 7pm on Thursdays.

Screenshot 2024-02-03.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Virginia and western PA have had snowmaking opportunities this week. Should mean decent snow coverage for Pres. Day weekend even after a warm spell coming up.

The expectation is that the season will last into March in the southeast.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten has the SkiSoutheast Summit on Feb. 9-11 on their website. It's been quite a while since I attended a SkiSE Summit (Snowshoe, Beech). Since I'm not skiing out west in February, I'm headed back to Massanutten later this week.

If you can't see the Massanutten MOTH thread, send me a PM if interested in meeting up this weekend.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.31.20 AM.png

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Reports are saying cold should return next week and hang around thru early March, high chances for snow. Hope so. I'm hoping to get a few days trips to Whitetail or Liberty to work on getting parallel again before the season ends. I was starting to find my groove at Timberline last week before the snow got all crappy and was that awful deep sandy corn between sections of ice by days 3/4. Timberline isn't great if you're a beginner because your stuck on Salamander and when it goes to #$!*, you run out of options. Hoping once the cold returns and we get some natural snow, a few midweek day trips to local slopes will help me find my legs again and the confidence to head to the blues. I have a few drills I learned during the private lesson I took on my first day last week that work best if I'm on a gentle slope with few people around.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a good time at Massanutten this weekend with the SkiSoutheast folks. Saturday is only rained lightly for about an hour at lunch time.

First Tracks this morning meant I, my daughter, and our teen friend, were able to see a view just before the clouds covered the peak.

Coverage getting thin and narrow in places but still 100% open, February 11
Mnut 11Feb2023 SkiSE First Tracks - 1.jpeg
Mnut 11Feb2023 SkiSE First Tracks - 2.jpeg

MarzNC Jr, MarzNC, NC teen friend
Mnut 11Feb2023 SkiSE First Tracks - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Took out your Floskis I see.
Yep. But switched back to the Volkl Yumis after a few runs. The Floskis are no fun on icy groomers. It was in the 40's and everything had been groomed. But without any snowmaking for a week, all the trails are relatively flat and fast. There are a few contours left but most of the snow whales have been pushed out to provide coverage.

I used the Floskis on Friday afternoon when the snow was pushed around sugar, which was a more reasonable fit for those skis. Always get a compliment or two from strangers about how pretty they are because of the wood.

marzNC

Angel Diva
With the new lift and trails on the upper mountain, videos of people skiing the harder trails are showing up on YouTube. These two videos were from last week, before the hot spell and rainy days. One is of a tele skier and the other shows the bumps on the left side of Showtime. No Hessitation under the Peak lift had been groomed out after the bumps got icy and there wasn't quite enough snow coverage side-to-side. Hopefully there will be good snowmaking weather in the next week for Pres. Day weekend.

February 8, 2024

February 9, 2024

marzNC

Angel Diva
With this awful winter, they definitely needed it
Oddly enough, NC and VA have done better than PA for weather this winter. Meaning more snowmaking temps in the last couple months. Since all the southeast resorts have essentially 100% snowmaking coverage, that matters more than actual snowfall.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage kinda missed out since the storm seemed to track farther south. They said they ended up with about 4 inches.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The second half of February is going to be much better than the last couple weeks when it comes to snowmaking in the southeast. WV will be the big winner when it comes to natural snow. Brad is calling the next system an Alberta Clipper.

Good timing for anyone going skiing over Pres. Day weekend. I'll be at Massanutten for a February long weekend for the first time in years. :smile:

February 14, 2024

HikenSki

Angel Diva
So flad it has gotten colder and they can make snow to add to some of the natural we've been lucky to get. Requested a personal day for next Friday. Looking at Whitetail. Hoping for a good day and that it won't be the last for the season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna