• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2023-24

marzNC

Angel Diva
Considering a quick last-minute trip to NC based on the forecast. I haven't skied the SE since the 80s!!
Someone on SkiSE was at Cataloochee today and had a good time.

Of course, the NC resorts will be packed during the Pres. Day weekend.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Duly noted re: crowds. Plan is to check the weather again in the morning and then make a last-minute call. I had a full day at Sunday River in December but I would like to have more turns underfoot before I head out to Big Sky with our crew in March

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who have never been to Elk Mountain in PA, it can be worth the drive. Not much lodging close to the slopes but the drive from Scranton isn't bad since it's mostly flat roads with little traffic. The man who made the video started checking out hills that are driving distance from DC/NoVA a few winters ago. What I liked is that he showed the open shuttle from the parking lot and a few looks at the lodge.

Note that the video was made during President's Day weekend.

February 21, 2024

Lmk92

Angel Diva
For those who have never been to Elk Mountain in PA, it can be worth the drive. Not much lodging close to the slopes but the drive from Scranton isn't bad since it's mostly flat roads with little traffic. The man who made the video started checking out hills that are driving distance from DC/NoVA a few winters ago. What I liked is that he showed the open shuttle from the parking lot and a few looks at the lodge.

Note that the video was made during President's Day weekend.

February 21, 2024
I was just there yesterday, and conditions were amazing, even after the sun started to set!

Although I didn't eat, I did check out the prices on the menu, and they were very reasonable. ($12 for gluten free hamburger and fries). I also rode up on the lift with the wife of my ski instructor, and she really likes the sit down restaurant there. "We've got a chef and can get shrimp cocktail when I'm taking a break? Sign me up!" (Dang, I should have invited her to join the Divas!)

I also heard the owner is now 97 and likely will not sell before he dies. But after he dies, who knows? Best guess is Vail, who has had representatives visiting quite a bit. (My source on this was someone else I rode with on the lift, so take it with a grain of salt).

I was hoping for Indy. He has resisted Indy, which is a head-scratcher for me. But, he's 97 and "quite the character".

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would be disappointing to see the big two snatching up all the eastern PA resorts, but sorta feels inevitable.

Glad they showed the weird cattle pen open air shuttle. It’s…interesting. lol

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Would be disappointing to see the big two snatching up all the eastern PA resorts, but sorta feels inevitable.

Yeah, I think so, too, unfortunately. They will be the ones offering the biggest bucks, and let's be honest - Elk needs more upgrades than Jack Frost did. If it happens, I'll be focusing on the plus side - new lifts and crossing my fingers for some glades. But those crowds will ruin the place, sadly.

marzNC

Angel Diva

That shuttle was quite a surprise the first time I went to Elk. It was early January and in single digits. I was driving my daughter up to Lake Placid after winter break when she was at North Country School. We didn't last long.

I think Alterra would be a much better fit for Elk than Vail Resorts. Presumably given the age of the long-time owner, everyone knows there will be a transition one way or another some time in the next few years. Alterra does have resorts with limited access for Ikon holders, unlike VR and Epic.

When Snow Time Inc. (Roundtop, Liberty, Whitetail) was sold to Peak Resorts, I think it was a surprise that Peak sold everything to Vail Resorts only a few years afterwards. Irv Naylor didn't have anyone in the family interested in taking over. He created Roundtop in 1964, partially because he and his son liked to ski. But in the long run his son wasn't interested in the ski business.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Feels like all resorts will be selling season passes for 2024-25 in early March. Best to be on the mailing list to make sure of getting notified.

For instance, Cataloochee is having a flash sale March 1-3: unlimited single pass for $590, with blackout dates for $480, weekday only for $320.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For folks who live in or near eastern PA . . .

For 2024-25, there will be a season pass that covers both Blue Mountain and Camelback.

February 21, 2024
"
KSL Resorts will offer a new joint season pass product for the 2024-25 season called the Peak to Peak Poconos Pass that includes unlimited access to Blue Mountain Resort and Camelback Resort, its two properties in Pennsylvania’s Pocono Mountains.

Each resort is roughly a two-hour drive from both New York City and Philadelphia, and about 45 minutes from one another.

The pass will go on sale on Feb. 22. It includes access for the rest of the 2023-24 season at both resorts
. . ."

Skac1919

Diva in Training
Whitetail is open this weekend and next weekend, but closed midweek. Looks like Sunday the 10th will be their closing date.

Liberty has a “we’ll see” for next weekend.

A little hidden in their Instagram posts so I’m glad I checked before making weekend plans.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten made snow late last week whenever it was cold enough. Lots of snowguns on all Friday night. Just in time for Snow Moon Fest March 1-3.

After this weekend, any ski days are a bonus. Could have a few weekday suspensions before the season ends for good some time in the next few weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline in WV is encouraging pass holders to introduce the mountain to their friends starting March 4 for as long as the season lasts.

From an email sent out March 3, 2024:
"Bonus Days begin Monday, March 4th, and will be in effect for the remainder of the season!

During Bonus Days, Perfect Pass and Gold Pass holders can use their pass to bring a friend and get a free lift ticket! Silver and Bronze Pass holders can enjoy the slopes any day - including the weekend!

Bonus Day lift tickets are $20 off, and rental are $10 off! These discounted tickets and rentals must be purchased in person at our ticket windows in order to receive this special pricing."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Skiing continues in Virginia. Wintergreen closed on March 8. Massanutten and Bryce are still hanging on. Bryce is closed March 13-14, but plans to re-open on Friday, March 15. Massanutten has Southern Comfort and Showtime open on March 13, but is not selling any tickets online any more.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I was looking at the forecasts for next week, thinking, dang, skiing isn't over for the season, only to see Elk's last day is Saturday. :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe is determined to provide late season turns for the next couple weeks. They had to close Silver Creek a bit early. I've heard that snowmaking is not done yet in other parts of the resort.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 7.47.26 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the southeast and mid-Atlantic, the first deadline for the lowest price on season passes can be as early as late March. Although in some cases, passes aren't even available until early April. Best to check around the time your home resort closes if a season pass is of interest.

Note that sales for the Indy Pass 2024-25 started and ended in the last few weeks. Getting on the Wait List is a good way to stay informed if more Indy passes are sold in the fall.

The Indy Pass locations in the southeast include: Ober, Cataloochee, Wintergreen, Massanutten, Bryce, Wisp, Winterplace, and Canaan Valley. In PA, Montage and Blue Knob are the larger hills on Indy. The PA locations also include Tussey, Ski Sawmill, Ski Big Bear, and Shawnee.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna