• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't skied at Liberty but the advantage to Whitetail is that the beginner, intermediate, and advanced terrain is relatively separate. Whitetail did some major renovations of the base buildings several years ago. That was before it was sold to Peak Resorts and then Vail Resorts. The terrain is pretty much the same I think.

Maybe we can get @alison wong to stop by. She's skied both Liberty and Whitetail. She's also done the multi week lesson program for women at Liberty.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you have any feedback on what you think is better for advanced beginners, I would love to hear it.
The input I got from a parent on DCSki is that the blues at Whitetail are comparable to Liberty but are somewhat longer. His youngest spent a full day on a Whitetail blue last week and had a good time. It's his second season skiing.

It used to be that pass holders could start skiing a bit early on weekends. But I don't know if that's still the case.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The input I got from a parent on DCSki is that the blues at Whitetail are comparable to Liberty but are somewhat longer. His youngest spent a full day on a Whitetail blue last week and had a good time. It's his second season skiing.
@berryblondeboys : another DCSki member added that the chair for the blues is relatively fast at Whitetail. So when the line isn't too long, can get in more slope time than at Liberty.

Can start on the lift that only serves green trails as a warm up. It's easy to see from the lodge.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
@berryblondeboys : another DCSki member added that the chair for the blues is relatively fast at Whitetail. So when the line isn't too long, can get in more slope time than at Liberty.

Can start on the lift that only serves green trails as a warm up. It's easy to see from the lodge.
We got midweek passes only. And I realized yesterday another reason we have't gone to Whitetail - their hours. Midweek they only go to 5 pm. Since we drive there in the monring, that would leave too little time on the slopes and I don't wake my teen too early. (homeschool teen with autism).

marzNC

Angel Diva
We got midweek passes only. And I realized yesterday another reason we have't gone to Whitetail - their hours. Midweek they only go to 5 pm. Since we drive there in the monring, that would leave too little time on the slopes and I don't wake my teen too early. (homeschool teen with autism).
Next season you might consider the Indy Pass. That could cover 2 days at Bryce and 2 days at Massanutten. Plus 2 days at Canaan Valley if willing to do a longer drive. Bryce and Mnut have night skiing.

Whitetail is open until 9pm Thursdays and Fridays.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
We can look around, but that is a hike for us. Maryland and Penn. is much more convenient and we really try to avoid the crowds on weekends. It is one of the beauties of homeschooling - we can easily do that. Then, my partner works for the govenment and since he has a lot of years in, he can take days off during the week for skiing to eat up some of his vacation time.

And the biggie - my 86 year old mother in law lives with us and she has dementia. We just can leave her for long. For us to go, I have to make sure sure she has EVERYTHING set up. We can't go anwhere overnight. We'll have to hire someone soon for help for her, but she can take care of simple things for herself now (of course she thinks she can do all of it - but that involves doing things like getting herself water and going to the bathroom and eating - but she doesn't know now to turn on the stove or oven or microwave, etc.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Hey all - We live in MD and we do all our skiing at the most local resorts. We have had passes to the three resorts: Liberty, Whitetail, and RoundTop. My son and I have only skied at Liberty as we thought it was the closest to our house, but we realized Whitetail is about the same distance. My partner has been there once and he said that for him, it had nicer advanced runs for advanced skiers (he's an experienced, good skier), but he wasn't sure how it was for advanced beginners (or plain beginners) and he wants to be sure there is enough for my son and me. When we ski at Liberty, we always go on the blue run on the front side of the mountain (Which is easier blue). On Thursday, we will try the backside Blue which is a longer run and a bit more difficult. My teen and I aren't ready for black or double black diamond). My partner could do any of those, but he felt the runs were better at WhiteTail for him than Liberty, but it's been YEARS since he's been there and we have no idea if the resort has been updated in all these years or if the routes have changed.

If you have any feedback on what you think is better for advanced beginners, I would love to hear it.
I’m not aware Liberty has a front-side blue except for the terrain park. The backside blues can get choppy quickly, especially at Upper Heavenly. I haven’t been to Whitetail yet this season (not sure last season either), but in the past, Whitetail blues are a little steeper than Liberty but long and more even pitch. Liberty blues can get a little rolly, depending on how well they groomed.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to miss the stellar conditions this weekend to go to an effing conference in effing Vegas. I'll make up for it by skiing Whitetail/Liberty during the week when I get back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Massanutten might sell out for Sat, Jan. 29. The blurb warning people to buy tickets in advance online has become standard on the daily snow conditions report.

Wintergreen is already sold out for day tickets for tomorrow as of 9:30am on Fri, Jan. 28.

MASSANUTTEN SNOW CONDITIONS
UPDATED 07:51am 01/28/2022

Mostly cloudy with highs in the mid 30s, light snow moving in this afternoon with 1" - 2" possible. The Terrain Park team has added third park with 5 freestyle features on Lower Mass Transit. The slopes are in fantastic shape and any new snow this afternoon will be icing on the cake. Saturday day session tickets are nearly sold out, please purchase in advance to reserve your spot.

We anticipate reaching capacity this weekend and we recommend purchasing your slope use and rentals in advance online to reserve your spot. Once online capacity limits are met on busy days (holidays & weekends), we will have limited availability
for walk up ticket purchases and ski & snowboard rental may not be available for purchase. If tickets are unavailable online, we strongly recommend choosing another session or day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have to miss the stellar conditions this weekend to go to an effing conference in effing Vegas. I'll make up for it by skiing Whitetail/Liberty during the week when I get back.
Ah well. Let us know how Whitetail and/or Liberty are next week.

I considered taking my friend's tween for a bonus weekend, but getting ready to fly to NM for Taos next week. Hoping that the Mnut season goes into mid-March given how deep the snow is on all the slopes already.

Marigee

Angel Diva
FYI - Whitetail and Liberty are experiencing staffing shortages. You can only eat indoors at Whitetail on Fri/Sat/Sun. You must show proof of Vax to eat indoors. The only place to eat indoors is the Marketplace. There is an outdoor grill available during open hours. Mostly grab and go, chili, hot dogs, etc.

You can warm up/boot up in the Daybreak Cafe for 15 minutes without proof of Vax. No leaving boot bags there. You can use the restrooms across the breezeway from Marketplace without proof of Vax. Masks required at all times when indoors. No cubbies available for storage because that area is closed. There are lockers in the rental area.

You need to book a lesson ahead of time - no just showing up. I have hear from friends who work at Liberty that they have similar constraints, but I don’t know exactly what is going on there.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. This is my 15th season working there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
FYI - Whitetail and Liberty are experiencing staffing shortages. You can only eat indoors at Whitetail on Fri/Sat/Sun. You must show proof of Vax to eat indoors. The only place to eat indoors is the Marketplace. There is an outdoor grill available during open hours. Mostly grab and go, chili, hot dogs, etc.

You can warm up/boot up in the Daybreak Cafe for 15 minutes without proof of Vax. No leaving boot bags there. You can use the restrooms across the breezeway from Marketplace without proof of Vax. Masks required at all times when indoors. No cubbies available for storage because that area is closed. There are lockers in the rental area.

You need to book a lesson ahead of time - no just showing up. I have hear from friends who work at Liberty that they have similar constraints, but I don’t know exactly what is going on there.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. This is my 15th season working there.
Thanks for the update about Whitetail!

Have the lift lines seemed longer on non-holiday weekends in the last few weeks?

marzNC

Angel Diva
There was plenty of snow in the southeastern mountains in the past 24 hours. Here's the report from SkiSE from early in the morning on Sat, Jan. 29. Pretty cold so the snow will certainly last for a few days before the next warm up.

The grass in my front yard was white this morning but nothing stuck to the driveway. Melted by lunch time.

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.54.11 AM.png

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thanks for the update about Whitetail!

Have the lift lines seemed longer on non-holiday weekends in the last few weeks?
I have not been at Whitetail on the weekends this season. But I have heard from others that crowds are bad this season. Kind of like weekends before Covid. Last season guests were spread out over the week, plus reservations were needed. It was actually kind of nice.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx for the update/info @Marigee . I hope to ski Whitetail during the week next week. Do you know if the downstairs lockers are available (to the left and down if you are facing out to the slopes)? I'm one of those peeps who doesn't like to walk from the parking lot in my boots.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thanx for the update/info @Marigee . I hope to ski Whitetail during the week next week. Do you know if the downstairs lockers are available (to the left and down if you are facing out to the slopes)? I'm one of those peeps who doesn't like to walk from the parking lot in my boots.
I don’t actually know if the downstairs lockers are available right now. They do have the lockers in rentals. You can boot up in the Daybreak Cafe. While you are only supposed to be there for 15 minutes, I don’t think they time you - particularly on a weekday!

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Well folks, season is done for me. Full ACL tear is the verdict from my fall at Timberline. Fortunately a nice clean tear and no other damage to the other ligaments or tendons with only bone brushing and a little fluid. So surgery is order with a summer of rehab and recovery. So bummed but looking to come back stronger next season to get those turns in. Be careful out there and have fun for me!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Whitetail last Wednesday. Things looked promising until I discovered that the highspeed quad which services the more challenging terrain was kaput. The maintenance folks looked to be doing an amazing job fixing what ailed it, but I was consigned with all others to a gentle blue for the first 2+ hours. That said, I had fun, I did drills, I met many lovely peeps on the chair. Everyone that I encountered was respectful and in control considering the limited terrain. All in all a good day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna