• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

Amie H

Angel Diva
I suggest you take a look at DCSki.com . That regional forum has quite a few people from Pittsburgh, including parents who have been taking the kids skiing in that area for years.

It's not worth the extra driving time to Blue Knob. Not enough snowmaking and pretty slow lifts. Better off with some combination of 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel.
Thanks, I will check that out!

I only thought of Blue Knob as a possibility bc 1) closer for my sister and 2) near enough to Bedford Springs if a spa day is needed!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really enjoyed the terrain at Blue Knob the one time we went. Went with mr. tinymoose's buddy who lives in State College. But I've never been to the others to compare.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really enjoyed the terrain at Blue Knob the one time we went. Went with mr. tinymoose's buddy who lives in State College. But I've never been to the others to compare.
The terrain at BK is great when there is enough snow. Probably is that without enough natural snow, it can be a disappointment. I don't think it's a great place for a beginner. Slopeside lodging can be fun for night skiing after dinner.

Another resort @Amie H might consider is Wisp. Has the advantage of not being as close to a major city.

Amie H

Angel Diva
The terrain at BK is great when there is enough snow. Probably is that without enough natural snow, it can be a disappointment. I don't think it's a great place for a beginner. Slopeside lodging can be fun for night skiing after dinner.

Another resort @Amie H might consider is Wisp. Has the advantage of not being as close to a major city.
I had no idea there was skiing in Maryland! Looks fine for my beginner but my sister would probably get bored. Nice midweek beginner packages. It's under 2 hrs from the 'Burgh so that's a plus.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had no idea there was skiing in Maryland! Looks fine for my beginner but my sister would probably get bored. Nice midweek beginner packages. It's under 2 hrs from the 'Burgh so that's a plus.
From what DCSki folks have said about Wisp, it can be just as good as any of the other PA resorts for an advanced skier. They seem a little behind on snowmaking but should be getting caught up soon with the upcoming cold spell and snowstorm. But that's true for 7Springs and HV too.

For true variety good for beginners and advanced skiers, Timberline is probably the best option at the moment. Especially midweek because of the relatively new high speed detachable 6-pack that serves 100% of the terrain. There is also a quad for advanced beginners or intermediates taking a lesson. I was just there earlier this week.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
From what DCSki folks have said about Wisp, it can be just as good as any of the other PA resorts for an advanced skier. They seem a little behind on snowmaking but should be getting caught up soon with the upcoming cold spell and snowstorm. But that's true for 7Springs and HV too.

For true variety good for beginners and advanced skiers, Timberline is probably the best option at the moment. Especially midweek because of the relatively new high speed detachable 6-pack that serves 100% of the terrain. There is also a quad for advanced beginners or intermediates taking a lesson. I was just there earlier this week.
I second this. I was there (at Timberline) with @marzNC and I was really impressed with the place. Snow blowing everywhere, great staff, even had some pretty good food. The terrain that was open was not terribly challenging, and the groomers were there very late and again very early. My only disappointment was with my lesson - I kinda felt like my instructor was phoning it in. But it's not like I didn't need to hear what he was saying.

Conversely, Canaan Valley, which on paper appears to have the better overall terrain, was barely open. One trail (advertised as 4) was open. Not a lot of snow was blowing, either. Very slow lifts. WV really either needs to sell the place, or commit. So much potential there being lost.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I do think we were there after a good dump of snow. Lots of great bumps to practice and play on.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Thanks for the Timberline info, ladies. Looks like a nice resort, but their ski school seems geared to children. No group lessons for adults, no half-day, etc. My "kid" is 22 and really needs a few half-days of lessons to get going. I'm not keen on paying $120/hr for a few hours each day.

I'll look into it further...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thanks for the Timberline info, ladies. Looks like a nice resort, but their ski school seems geared to children. No group lessons for adults, no half-day, etc. My "kid" is 22 and really needs a few half-days of lessons to get going. I'm not keen on paying $120/hr for a few hours each day.

I'll look into it further...
Have you checked out Elk Mtn in PA? They have a good ski school, and it's a fun place, although not very big.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you checked out Elk Mtn in PA? They have a good ski school, and it's a fun place, although not very big.
Wrong side of state if they're wanting to ski out near Pittsburgh, though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If any part of PA was fair game, I'd have been plugging Montage :wink:
What is Montage doing in terms of lessons? Montage has good terrain progression for a beginner.

Must say that if I were heading up in that direction on a weekend with an adult beginner, I'd consider paying for private lessons at Plattekill instead of Elk.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
You're not going to find much challenging terrain close to Pittsburgh. Maybe check out Holiday Valley near Buffalo? It's a bit of a hike, but when my son was in college (State College, PA), the guys would try to get to Holiday Valley a few times and had fun. And if you're staying there, there's no commute to worry about.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is Montage doing in terms of lessons? Montage has good terrain progression for a beginner.

Must say that if I were heading up in that direction on a weekend with an adult beginner, I'd consider paying for private lessons at Plattekill instead of Elk.
Montage is currently still doing group lessons for levels 1-3. Anything beyond level 3 is a private.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're not going to find much challenging terrain close to Pittsburgh. Maybe check out Holiday Valley near Buffalo? It's a bit of a hike, but when my son was in college (State College, PA), the guys would try to get to Holiday Valley a few times and had fun. And if you're staying there, there's no commute to worry about.
Holiday Valley can get crowded on the weekends, but it always fun. I've always loved the Happy Glades. They are indeed Happy. They have a women's clinic that looks really nice; too bad it's so far for me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten opened the Meadow and Boardwalk trails for the first time ever today. That's the beginner terrain where the big terrain park was in the last decade or two (with the J-bar). The new long magic carpet is called the Flying Carpet. Boardwalk is the connector trail from the top of Meadow back over to the the bottom of Easy Rider (was Geronimo) and the teaching area with the other two conveyor lifts.

Meadow (green), with Flying Carpet on the left.
Screen Shot 2022-01-15.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Feels pretty cold today with temps in the 20s at Mnut today. Snowguns are on for Upper MakAttack.

MASSANUTTEN SNOW CONDITIONS
UPDATED 07:31am 01/15/2022

Mostly cloudy with highs in the mid to upper 20s. Day time snowmaking will be primarily limited to closed terrain today. Our new Flying Carpet lift is scheduled to debut today along with Meadow and Boardwalk trails. Our area is under a Winter Storm Watch for Sunday with 6" - 10" of snow possible. Forecasters are calling for it to start around lunch time on Sunday.

Amie H

Angel Diva

I'm not looking for challenging terrain, per se. I take trips out West for big mtn skiing (heading to Beaver Creek tomorrow!) This trip is more about family spending time together skiing, cooking, eating, talking, and bringing my daughter into the sport my sis & I enjoy!

Here's what we're looking for:

A variety of trails so sister & I not looping the same 2 all day. Greens & blues are fine!

Somewhere for my kid to have 2 half-days of lessons, preferably a rental/lift tix/lesson package (or the combo of those three not costing a zillion $.)

And finally, slopeside lodging w kitchenette and dining area for meals together. I think it's easier for my daughter to be motivated to get to her lesson if getting there is as easy as possible.

We were thinking near Pittsburgh so we can spend some time at my daughter's apartment and then shoot over to wherever w groceries for meal making, and my sister can meet us at whatever condo we rent.

She's (sister) is driving from Philly area. Trying to keep the driving to a minimum. Neither of us have much time we can take off work (we both work part time at small companies w no "vacation" per se.) This will be a 2 or 3 night trip.

To Seven Springs or Timberland, for example, is 4+ hours for her. If she wanted to start from the PGH apt with us on Saturday (to see my kid's neighborhood, etc.) then another hour or so would be ideal. It will be her call. She may not join us at all, in fact, if she can't get the time off or has other obligations w her kids, etc.

TBH if it's more than a 2 /2.5 hour drive, I'd rather just fly somewhere. Which is something my daughter and I would totally do, but my sister is not keen on flying, (esp w Covid.)

I started my inquiry here bc I found out lodging at Seven Springs was $$$ That is OK bc we can afford it if we are splitting 2 ways, and we won't have costs like addl airfares, rental cars, meals, etc. But it was a tad bit of sticker shock! LOL.

Blue Knob on the other hand is VERY inexpensive for lodging, lessons, etc. but I've taken note of the comments here about conditions, etc.

Wisp that @marzNC mentioned might fit our needs, too.

I really appreciate the suggestions/info!!! It's been ages since I skied in PA. :ski2:

One nostalgic sidebar: one winter break, (circa 1990-ish?) my dad rented a house for the whole family near the defunct Alpine Mountain in the Poconos. The house was kinda run down, and Alpine was not fancy ( compared to prior family trips to Killington & Mnt St Anne) but we kids had a BLAST! I think fondly on that ski trip often!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly