• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2021-22

marzNC

Angel Diva
My frend is at Massanutten with her son and non-skiing husband for a long weekend. The teen has Feb. 14-15 off from high school. Per usual, JF has great luck with snowy weather. She sent this picture earlier today as I was waiting at the ABQ airport to head home after a week skiing Taos.

IMG_1085.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like Mnut has figured out what capacity works for slope use and rentals during holiday weekends and for Monday Night Madness. There was an overload on MLK Day for rentals.

Rock Drop is the relatively new black under the Ridge Triple. It's pretty steep and narrow so needs some extra base to hold enough snow to keep from hitting the rocks underneath. Note that while can be snowmaking using portable snowguns on Rock Drop, it can't be groomed. Need to know how to ski bumps to ski Rock Drop.

MASSANUTTEN SNOW CONDITIONS
UPDATED 09:04am 02/14/2022

9:05 UPDATE: Rock Drop will be closed for snowmaking today.

5"+ new snow yesterday and overnight snowmaking makes for an awesome Monday. Snow making will continue today in select areas with highs in the mid to upper 20s. Monday Night Madness tonight! $25 Slope - Use and $25 equipment rental, purchase online to reserve your spot.

Keep an eye out for Cupid on the slopes today!

We have reached online capacity for day and night sessions Saturday, Feb 19 and day session on Sunday, Feb 20. We recommend purchasing your slope use and rentals in advance online to reserve your spot. Once online capacity limits are met on busy days (holidays & weekends), we will have limited availability
for walk up ticket purchases and ski & snowboard rental may not be available for purchase. If tickets are unavailable online, we strongly recommend choosing another session or day.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Whitetail again yesterday. Apparently the high speed quad was down again the day before, but I experienced only one delay (about 10-15 minutes). The slopes were in pretty good shape. Those slopes that were groomed were done well and the non-groomers were good fun and not terribly icy.

It was 50 degrees when I woke up this morning, so I've decided to work instead of trekking back over to PA. Tomorrow looks more promising, so I'll ski either Whitetail or Liberty and then head to The Nutt for the long weekend.

And, btw, contractors at The Nutt have begun cutting the new trail from the top of Lift 6 (I think they are calling it Peak Quad now, but it'll always be "6" in my heart). :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Could hear the machinery in the woods working on the new trail off the peak this afternoon at Massanutten. Looking beyond the ski patrol hut it's easy to see where that trail is going to start.

The snow is deep on all trails, with side-to-side coverage and plenty of snow whales on the upper mountain. Snowmaking is expected Fri and Sat nights during the holiday weekend.

Not only is Sat sold out for day tickets and rentals, so is Sun for the first time. They decreased the max number of lift tickets by about 10% based on experience from the last few weekends. Glad my friends who are heading to Mnut for Pres. Day weekend have season passes for the first time this season.

Discovered today that when there is enough snow, Geronimo aka Easy Street is groomed out so that the top section doesn't have a double fall line. With that and the new Meadow trail (separate long magic carpet), Mnut is an even better place for beginners.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I skied Liberty today. Temp was in the 50’s, not quite spring-like conditions. The front was hard and a bit icy in the morning. The back was soft but not (yet) slushy. The mountain was basically empty. Yet these two yahoos still straightlined down Lower Strata and blew by within 2 feet of me. If I didn’t turn when I did, they would’ve taken me out. Really?! :mad2:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline in Davis, WV has started sales for 2022-23 season passes. Lowest price until April 1, 2022. Will NOT be good during the last few weeks of the 2021-22 season.

"Next year's winter season may feel far away, but the best time to grab your season pass is now! You can purchase a season pass at the best price offered before next winter arrives. All season passes will be 40% off for the 2022/2023 winter season beginning today! This best price is only available through April 1st, 2022. These 2022/2023 season passes are only valid for next winter, not our current 21/22 winter season."

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's been pretty warm, but Massanutten has enough base on the core trails and more for their Snow Moon Fest this weekend, March 4-6. I think some snowmaking happened on Thursday night when temps got into the 20s. There are actual ice patches on Paradice, as in New England style ice, which is unusual.

Lower MakAttack under the Ridge Triple
Mnut 04Mar2022 - 1.jpeg

Showtime is a core trail with side-to-side coverage. Still some counter so the snow whales haven't been all groomed flat yet.
Mnut 04Mar2022 - 2.jpeg

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
I was at Whitetail yesterday and the conditions were pretty good on the trails I saw. They are in much better condition than they have been at nearby Liberty which has been a slushy mess the last two times we went.

I have NO IDEA how they can stay open after two days in the 70s, but I see nothing on the resorts saying they are closing for the season yet as we are having one more cool down.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I was at Whitetail yesterday and the conditions were pretty good on the trails I saw. They are in much better condition than they have been at nearby Liberty which has been a slushy mess the last two times we went.

I have NO IDEA how they can stay open after two days in the 70s, but I see nothing on the resorts saying they are closing for the season yet as we are having one more cool down.
HEAVY rain forecasted for our area (probably yours, too) Monday. Fingers crossed it won't force too many trail closures! Overnight temps still below freezing for the most part, and even some snow possible for later in the week. March is depressing (as are the meteorologists on tv getting giddy about warm temps)

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Backside of Liberty skied reasonably well yesterday and this morning. The race kids took over White Lightning until about noon yesterday. This morning was in the 60’s but cloudy so the snow actually held up longer than expected. The rain never came while I was there until noonish. Lower Strata is getting bare and it will likely close very soon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Still not raining at Massanutten on March 6 at 6pm.

Even though temps were in the low 70s, since there was cloud cover the snow was still quick skiable by the time I quit around 3pm. A friend drove out from DC and we did quite a few runs before he left at 1pm. The top needed an hour or so to soften up. Especially the bumps on Paradice. Later in the day, the remaining bumps on Upper MakAttack were interesting for me. I could tell that what I learned at the Taos Ski Week a month ago really made a difference when it came to planning where to go next.

Meadow was open over the weekend. That might not make it much longer. Same for Lower MakAttack. All the other trails are still deep enough to groom.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Elk is not selling tickets past March 14. I'm not sure if they just aren't releasing those tickets yet, or if they're giving up. We are forecasted for a stretch of warm, rainy weather, so they're likely taking a "wait and see" attitude. I haven't been up, so I don't know how the crowds have been. I think joining Indy would really help them, especially during the week.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Do you mean it go later? Or that the season could end sooner at Whitetail?
Definitely not later. Slope coverage is looking a bit thin. Whitetail has committed to making snow whenever possible until end of season, but not much opportunity. All depends on weather. I’ll know more after this weekend. I’m heading up today, and will be at WT through Sunday.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna