• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2013-14

Marigee

Angel Diva
Whitetail is 100% open now, but I suspect trail counts will go down with the warm weather. Also, most of Whitetail's slopes face south, so snow preservation isn't the best. This might be a good time to try Timberline. If you don't want to stay at Timberline you could try Davis, WV. It is very close and has a couple of good B & B's.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
thanks! I'm going to wait until next thurs. to book. Everyone has great last minute lodging deals and I can check the weather. potential for another coastal storm is brewing next week with another cold snap, so there is the chance that Whitetail MIGHT catch a glimpse of that if it doesn't stay out to sea.

Marigee

Angel Diva
FYI -if a winter storm does come through and you decide on Whitetail a good place to stay is the Sleep Inn in Clear Springs, MD. It is 6 miles from Whitetail -exit 18 off I-70. Many patrollers (including myself) use it when staying over for a shift. It is reasonable and has free wifi, breakfast. I think they may offer a reduced rate if you are skiing at Whitetail.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
FYI -if a winter storm does come through and you decide on Whitetail a good place to stay is the Sleep Inn in Clear Springs, MD. It is 6 miles from Whitetail -exit 18 off I-70. Many patrollers (including myself) use it when staying over for a shift. It is reasonable and has free wifi, breakfast. I think they may offer a reduced rate if you are skiing at Whitetail.
Thanks! that's a great suggestion. I'll have to look into it. Still hoping for that last hoorrah. I hope that low pressure hugs the coast, said it will be a big storm if it does.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think this must be a first, or at least is very rare, . . . Massanutten announced on their website they will be open until March 30! Between the new snowmaking capability added in the last few years and the helpful weather, guess they know they can keep enough snow on enough trails to make it worth doing.

THE SLOPES WILL BE OPEN DAILY THROUGH MARCH 30TH! If you have a season pass at another mountain, show your 13-14 season pass at the ticket window for 1/2 off slope-use ticket (not valid with other discounts).

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bear Creek announced they're closing March 30th. Which I don't really understand since all of their trails are still open, as is tubing. Oh, and by the way, their base depth is 31" - 57." WTH?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently Montage is closing next weekend too. What the? 48 - 68" base depth. Whyyyy??????

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well . . . Jackson Hole is closing April 6. Needless to say, the decision has nothing to do with the snow that's likely to still be around at that point.

Think about how many people are likely to go skiing after mid-March in PA. Takes a lot of lift tickets to cover the expenses of paying the staff needed to keep a ski area running. Season ticket holders aren't the ones who help cover the costs of an extended season. For some places, could be that seasonal workers have other work commitments after mid-March.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well . . . Jackson Hole is closing April 6. Needless to say, the decision has nothing to do with the snow that's likely to still be around at that point.

Think about how many people are likely to go skiing after mid-March in PA. Takes a lot of lift tickets to cover the expenses of paying the staff needed to keep a ski area running. Season ticket holders aren't the ones who help cover the costs of an extended season. For some places, could be that seasonal workers have other work commitments after mid-March.
Yep, that's what I was told too, it's the cost of having everything running, not just the snow conditions.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, but so much wasted good snow. :( Half the time in PA you have bare spots/thin cover most of the season. Lol

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@artistinsuburbia FWIW, I love Timberline. Just wish it was closer to us. Very good deals can be had via VRBO.com, too, especially if you don't mind a 5-minute drive. Food options are not the best in the lodge, so that's another reason why it's nice to have a place with a kitchen.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Marigee, do you know if Whitetail will have any discount days for people with season passes at other resorts? It's not too far for us, and we were thinking it might be fun to try someplace different just for variety. Plus it would be fun to see you if you're there that day and @Olesya Chornoguz and any other divas who might be around.

Also, how crowded is it in the spring? I'm not a fan of crowded slopes (still have flashbacks to snowboarder plowing in to me on a crowded day, resulting in an injury last season). I can ski around people just fine, but my enjoyment level rises when I can cruise and do GS-ish style turns the whole width of the mountain.

That said, in spring slush, I'll likely be going straight down and not carving much anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was skiing at Roundtop on 3/4 and it was very quiet. I can't say for weekends but I'd think it's not too bad/crowded since my local ski shop was all ready to put storage wax on my skis when I went in for a tune the following week. I think most people already quit skiing for this season.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last two weekends slopes were not crowded at Whitetail. I'll be there tomorrow with DH to ski in the morning then watch the pond skimming.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
There is hardly a soul here at HV. So much that they are closing chairs at 4:30. Makes me sad because that's when conditions will firm up. This is Baraccuda, still in decent shape for March 22. Note the empty chairs though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5

Marigee

Angel Diva
@Marigee, do you know if Whitetail will have any discount days for people with season passes at other resorts? It's not too far for us, and we were thinking it might be fun to try someplace different just for variety. Plus it would be fun to see you if you're there that day and @Olesya Chornoguz and any other divas who might be around.

Also, how crowded is it in the spring? I'm not a fan of crowded slopes (still have flashbacks to snowboarder plowing in to me on a crowded day, resulting in an injury last season). I can ski around people just fine, but my enjoyment level rises when I can cruise and do GS-ish style turns the whole width of the mountain.

That said, in spring slush, I'll likely be going straight down and not carving much anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

Whitetail won't be crowded this last week. Also, there is special pricing starting tomorrow and lasting through the end of the season. A lift ticket will be $45.00 and is good all day. I don't know if deals are being given to pass holders from other areas. You could call them to find out.

I will not be at WT. Currently I am at Big Sky with twin2! :dance: If my flight is on time Sat 3/29 ( always in doubt when flying United through O'Hare!) then I might be at WT for the afternoon on Sun 3/30 to help close.

Sorry I might miss you va_deb. But there is always next season!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Elk's last day is next Saturday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Calling for 1-2 inches of snow at Massanutten on Tuesday. Think I'll go there after skiing at Belleayre tomorrow.

Bryce, Massanutten, and Wintergreen in Virginia all open during the last week of March. That may be a first!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had a great spring ski day with DH at Whitetail. WT and Roundtop were doing season pass holders appreciation day - pass holders get free lunch and a soft drink, so we got a free lunch! Snow coverage is not great - bare spots in quite a few places on the blues, but snow was really good since the temps were not too high 45-47F. The black diamond slopes were in a better shape in terms of coverage. I even did the black moguls run once when DH took a break from skiing. I didn't ski moguls all the time, but was going in and out - thank goodness for the cat track on the side. Watched pond skim with DH and that was a lot of fun, will post some pics later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga