• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never settled on a "perfect for skiing" mask. Non-skiing, the Primal Wear mask is hands down my favorite.

I sure was hoping we were done with the mask issue for skiing. I'm looking forward to my booster. I don't want to think about masking for skiing again.

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't want to think about masking for skiing again.

I am finding it harder to put the masks back on than it was the first time around. But I ordered more. I'm afraid we are in for more masking, plenty more.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, @newboots , I think you're right. I put my masked mice from Housemouse designs back on today. At least it was to get my first Maple Creamy in nearly eighteen months. I rationalized that I deserved a large! : )

altagirl

Staff member
I'm more and more comfortable in them - I wear them on walks when our air quality is garbage and my neighbors are like "oh - smart to not breathe the smoke!" And they really do help - my lungs are easily bothered by bad air quality and when it's in the "yellow" to lower "orange" range, I still go for walks and wear a KN95 to filter out the smoke (and to go in to the coffee shop - which might be the only place where masks are the norm here). I've found the KN95s fit me quite well, especially with little added nosepieces and clipping the ear loops together behind my head - and are way more comfortable on my nose than the N95s that I have. But that's all just personal face shape dependent, I think. I bought a decent supply of colorful KN95s once I realized they fit well.

The thing that's uncomfortable is going in someplace where no one else is wearing one and having people look at me like I'm a lunatic. (yay Utah....) Not that it's going to stop me... it's just annoying. I don't go in many places anyway these days. And outdoor events seem way too busy for my comfort level. A friend posted having gone to the U of U football game - they had a 90 minute weather delay and everyone in the stands crammed into the concourses and they were trapped shoulder to shoulder with almost all unmasked people the whole time and couldn't get out. Nope. Nope. Nope. (To be honest though - trapped in a crowd and not being able to leave is not something I would have ever been comfortable with....)

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
FWIW, I also did the command hook trick (little, clear decorative hangers, low weight) to the outside of the helmet. it made it easier to pull the mask up and down by giving me a pivot point that wasn’t inside the helmet/behind my ear.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I got another Primal 2.0 mask on sale. Also went ahead and got a Primal 3.0 with the neck strap.

I've been using a Primal mask in general when I'm going to be indoors for longer than 15-20 minutes or will be talking to people more.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I also did the command hook trick (little, clear decorative hangers, low weight) to the outside of the helmet. it made it easier to pull the mask up and down by giving me a pivot point that wasn’t inside the helmet/behind my ear.
I'm leaving the Command hooks on my helmet for quick runs into the lodge to pee and also the gondola, where I plan to wear my mask. **sigh** I was hoping we'd be beyond this point by now, but here we are. I suppose I can also use my buff although its level of protection is pretty suspect.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got another Primal 2.0 mask on sale. Also went ahead and got a Primal 3.0 with the neck strap.

I've been using a Primal mask in general when I'm going to be indoors for longer than 15-20 minutes or will be talking to people more.
Mine didn't mingle well with my goggles for some reason. My goggles are a little big and they had to lap over the top edge of the mask and that directed air in because of the edge. I found I needed a much flatter edge so the seal of the overlap was snugger.

I sort of doubt we'll be required to mask here this season. I'll probably use a good mask in the Lodge, but less of a mask outdoors. I need to figure out how I'll incorporate an FFP2 mask into things for my trip to Austria. I'll have to wear it on most lifts and probably will be taking it on and off a lot, which is not going to be fun seeing as I wear a balaclava under my helmet. I'm thinking maybe my old one with just fabric over my face being used to just hold the FFP2 against my face without the ear loops.

I really hoped we'd be past this point by now. But I'm surrounded by anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Last season I skied in usual balaclava under helmet with gaiter up over nose on the lift, and lower down for skiing if it was not cold. I kept a surgical type mask folded in dedicated pants pocket to pull out for any forays into the lodge, rest room ski shop, etc. Not a bad idea to have an extra mask in pocket anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga