• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Christy

Angel Diva
Congrats on the first day of the season! Doesn't it feel great to be back on the snow? Crystal looks like it has great coverage!

It did feel awfully good. I was prepared for a lot of hassles and annoyances and just went in with the attitude of, today will be about patience. So that helped when dealing with the fact that the upper lifts were on wind hold in the am, and the open lifts had long lines until more lifts opened, etc. And coverage is good for early season. I think Crystal is saying they have a 42" base, which is good enough to have a lot (but not all) of terrain open. No storms in the forecast though.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I have skied at Hunter for 3 days this past weekend, I tried 3 different face coverings: Bioskin earloop mask, Seirus Evo Dana and Buff gaiter with filter. Bioskin mask remain may favorite, Seirus was alright, got a little soggy. Buff gaiter with filter - the filter would bunch up inside the mask, it was really annoying me to adjust it. Yes, Abom goggles worked well too to prevent defogging. :smile:
Are you only using the Bioskin for outdoor, distanced activities, or do you wear it when you are potentially near people, too?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you only using the Bioskin for outdoor, distanced activities, or do you wear it when you are potentially near people, too?
Both actually, indoors and outdoors. But I had limited indoors time during my vacation - getting take out or a short trip of getting snacks from the convenience store, all probably under 5-10 min.

If I am indoors for extended time and in close contact with people I wear N95 with goggles.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I was happy with my buff filter mask when skiing yesterday. As others have noted, the filter does bunch up a bit. It did get damp, but I usually wear a neck gaiter and keep it over my mouth and nose on lifts, so I'm somewhat used to that feeling. So it's not perfect, but I thought it worked as well as anything would. It wouldn't wouldn't be my pick if I had to be in close contact with someone indoors, but I felt fine about it for outdoor use where I'm not having close conversations with people.

The real success of the day was the Abom goggles. They worked perfectly. No fogging. Thanks to @Olesya Chornoguz and others who recommended them.
thanks for the report on the buff filter mask. I just got my XS/S filter tube yesterday and tried it on sans filter. it seems like a good fit for me under the ponytail and over my nose. It is better for skiing so far than anything else I have in the house.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I got my Seirus evo dana mask/gator in the mail today and it is just what I wanted. However, think @Olesya Chornoguz said it will get soggy. And I'm sure it will as my nose runs and I drool with masks ! But it feels unencumbered without straps everywhere..... no filter though but do I need one while skiing? Maybe as someone here mentioned to put a mask in my pocket for running indoors for potty stops.
Also, I saw on the news we are about to have a shelter in place with travel restrictions. Our governor listed what we should/could be doing outdoors. Skiing !!!!! Yes guess that means I can leave the county?

newboots

Angel Diva
I also just got the Seirus Evo Dana mask/gaiter. I ordered the small and wish I had the medium, but it's workable. Smells like synthetic a LOT - I washed it and we'll see. I like that it has an antimicrobial fabric (supposed to be odorless!). And it seems like it will cooperate with going up and down as necessary for lift lines, and so forth. I expect to bring a mask in my pocket, too. Actually, I always carry a mask in my pocket. Sometimes I put it over my existing mask. Other times I carry it to replace the existing mask due to my nose dripping. My nose drips all winter! I might need to put one in every pocket!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I also just got the Seirus Evo Dana mask/gaiter. I ordered the small and wish I had the medium, but it's workable. Smells like synthetic a LOT - I washed it and we'll see. I like that it has an antimicrobial fabric (supposed to be odorless!). And it seems like it will cooperate with going up and down as necessary for lift lines, and so forth. I expect to bring a mask in my pocket, too. Actually, I always carry a mask in my pocket. Sometimes I put it over my existing mask. Other times I carry it to replace the existing mask due to my nose dripping. My nose drips all winter! I might need to put one in every pocket!
Just threw mine in the bathtub with me!

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I road tested the Outdoor Research adrenaline mask today - it has a filter and is made in a way that it stays off the mouth while still enclosing the entire lower face. I really liked it! It’s pricey, and I look like a bit of a duck with it on, but I didn’t have a wet face at the end of the day and breathing was super easy! Also, the ear loops connect in the back, so there was minimal strain on my ears. I think I’ll be getting one for DH as well, as it’s the best option I’ve found so far, especially with the warmer days we’ve been having so far!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I road tested the Outdoor Research adrenaline mask today - it has a filter and is made in a way that it stays off the mouth while still enclosing the entire lower face. I really liked it! It’s pricey, and I look like a bit of a duck with it on, but I didn’t have a wet face at the end of the day and breathing was super easy! Also, the ear loops connect in the back, so there was minimal strain on my ears. I think I’ll be getting one for DH as well, as it’s the best option I’ve found so far, especially with the warmer days we’ve been having so far!
I have this mask. Did your filter stay in place? I've had trouble with that.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just checked out the OR Adrenaline mask, @ski_hat , on your recommendation. Lots of reviewers seemed unhappy with the filter falling out with exertion, especially since the mask without it was very lightweight and not protective. Your experience?

Also, I wondered about the clasp (or whatever that's called) in the back - isn't that an issue under the helmet? I'm on the hunt for the perfect protection. . .

kiki

Angel Diva
Is everyone actually feeling the need to use filters in masks outside? I have a couple of masks that have filter pockets, but being that they are multilayered and being used outside I haven’t bothered with adding the filter piece yet.
I am using the filter, does not seem to prevent breathing

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have this mask. Did your filter stay in place? I've had trouble with that.

I didn’t have any trouble with my filter, but I also never took my mask off. I’ll definitely give a more thorough review after a few more days of usage!

I just checked out the OR Adrenaline mask, @ski_hat , on your recommendation. Lots of reviewers seemed unhappy with the filter falling out with exertion, especially since the mask without it was very lightweight and not protective. Your experience?

I would absolutely NOT use this mask without the filter. It has zero protection (I can see right through it, and it’s only one layer of mesh). With the filter, however, it seems fine, but again I’ve only had one day on it so it sounds like more testing is necessary :ski:

Also, I wondered about the clasp (or whatever that's called) in the back - isn't that an issue under the helmet? I'm on the hunt for the perfect protection. . .

I didn’t notice it at all, and it was under my helmet. I should note that the ear loops served as the primary method of attachment, so the attachment behind the head may have been sitting lower on the back of my head. I shall report back!

All of these are excellent questions, Divas! Given how pricey the mask is, I’m happy to do research for y’all. (Especially if it requires return trips to the mountain :wink:)

Christy

Angel Diva
Is everyone actually feeling the need to use filters in masks outside? I have a couple of masks that have filter pockets, but being that they are multilayered and being used outside I haven’t bothered with adding the filter piece yet.

I did with my Buff because, why not, or just in case I was on a lift with someone coughing or yelling, and also because the Buff fabric seems rather thin on its own.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I grabbed a small fanny pack at the store in which to put such needf items. I really don’t want to start skiing with a whole backpack but if it comes to that so be it.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did with my Buff because, why not, or just in case I was on a lift with someone coughing or yelling, and also because the Buff fabric seems rather thin on its own.

I would not expect that Buff, without a filter in, to do much of anything. I just tried the test of blowing out a match and except through the filtered section I can blow a match out through the fabric. That makes it pretty porous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna