• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got some masks from OR that have a replaceable filter. I took my kids skiing yeasterday afternoon after our schoolwork was done. It was a little challenging, and my kids were a little uncomfortable trying to manage the masks, goggles, etc. But we are going to try to troubleshoot and figure things out for them. Its fortunate that it was pretty quiet and nice and sunny.

On another note I was shocked at the number of people bunching up in the lift line, when there was PLENTY of space to spread out. AND a good number of people with no masks, and no enforcement on the side of Snowbasin. I do sympathize, as many of the workers are not exactly highly paid and expected to be enforcing these additional things as well. But if this is how a quiet day is going to be, I am worried that the whole season will be over before it even has a chance to get started.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Skida tied masks can be tied at top over the helmet, and secured under the goggle clip. When not needed it hangs fairly loosely around the neck when pulled down. And to simplify life for kids, you can leave the top tied and attached to the helmet, and just untie the bottom strap behind the neck. For that you would need to buy an adult mask that ties top and bottom. The kids masks only tie at the top. But the adult small is the same as the kids I think.
https://skida.com/products/skida-mask?variant=31759466922007

Reactions: alr

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Doh- you could still get the kid Skida mask and put the non-tying side under the goggle strap, and only tie at the neck, assuming the shoe lace is long enough.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Ladies, I think I have found my goldilocks mask for this ski season!

https://www.tommiecopper.com/2-in-1-community-wear-face-mask-gaiter/

This is a gaiter style mask with an extra layer of fabric over the mouth and nose. It has a nose wire, and an elastic band which can either be worn as ear loops, or tightened in the back to prevent slipping. I've skied 3 (warm) days in it so far, and love it! I picked mine up at home depot.

I have a large nose, so traditional buffs and gaiters either smush my nose or slide down, but this was comfortable on my nose, stayed in place, and I didn't have any major fog issues, even when wearing it under my goggles. The elastic ear loops were not the most comfortable after a few hours, but they are the best way to prevent slipping for me. I just removed them on solo lift rides to give my ears a break.

I ordered one of these today. I liked how it was both a gaiter and had ear loops.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I ordered one of these today. I liked how it was both a gaiter and had ear loops.

That's the style I used until my last day when I tried my STE mask. It's great because if you do need to pull it down to breath it still stays in place easily to get it back up due to the ear loops. :thumbsup: Looking forward to trying this one as well.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Please report back. Those are intriguing because they don't appear to look like they'll suffocate. I think Russell Wilson of the Seahawks was wearing something very similar last night on Monday Night Football.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Arrgh...$75 to ship to Canada.....
WHAAT? For a mask, or s set of skis? If it's the mask, Mission masks are available on Amazon...

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Ladies, I think I have found my goldilocks mask for this ski season!

https://www.tommiecopper.com/2-in-1-community-wear-face-mask-gaiter/

This is a gaiter style mask with an extra layer of fabric over the mouth and nose. It has a nose wire, and an elastic band which can either be worn as ear loops, or tightened in the back to prevent slipping. I've skied 3 (warm) days in it so far, and love it! I picked mine up at home depot.

I have a large nose, so traditional buffs and gaiters either smush my nose or slide down, but this was comfortable on my nose, stayed in place, and I didn't have any major fog issues, even when wearing it under my goggles. The elastic ear loops were not the most comfortable after a few hours, but they are the best way to prevent slipping for me. I just removed them on solo lift rides to give my ears a break.

I've also skied in a disposable surgical mask, which I did indoors at Big Snow in NJ. After about an hour, the condensation inside the mask was dripping onto my chin. These are by far the easiest to breathe in, but they don't offer much warmth, and would realistically need to be changed out throughout the day.

Please share what else is working for you. This will absolutely be an interesting season, but for now I'm choosing to see this as an opportunity to buy more gear!
I just bought the family these. I hope it solves my goldilocks issues too!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got some masks from OR that have a replaceable filter. I took my kids skiing yeasterday afternoon after our schoolwork was done. It was a little challenging, and my kids were a little uncomfortable trying to manage the masks, goggles, etc. But we are going to try to troubleshoot and figure things out for them. Its fortunate that it was pretty quiet and nice and sunny.

On another note I was shocked at the number of people bunching up in the lift line, when there was PLENTY of space to spread out. AND a good number of people with no masks, and no enforcement on the side of Snowbasin. I do sympathize, as many of the workers are not exactly highly paid and expected to be enforcing these additional things as well. But if this is how a quiet day is going to be, I am worried that the whole season will be over before it even has a chance to get started.
I'm worried about it, too. They are still holding group lessons with up to FIVE people. I don't anticipate skiing many Saturdays.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
OK, Proof of Concept:
I noticed that my helmet has insulated fabric ear-covering, so I dug up a couple of pin-on buttons as in, political-type buttons), and pinned them on, using any old mask I had laying around. I think it works!
IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1180.jpg IMG_1181.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm worried about it, too. They are still holding group lessons with up to FIVE people. I don't anticipate skiing many Saturdays.

Received an email today regarding the adult seasonal program I’m signed up for, and it stated that they wanted to keep groups from 4-7 people each week. Sometimes some groups can be a little bigger depending how popular something is like race clinic, stumps and bumps, women’s etc. I feel okay about it all theoretically, hopefully I will in practice as well. Starts 12/12 and will run Saturdays and Sundays from 9:30-12:30 through March. Assuming the season stays open of course.. I’m getting tested weekly, so I guess I’m hoping it’s mostly out of state people who have to do the same or are living there. Neighboring NH doesn’t have to test or quarantine, but has a rate higher than MA right now for positivity and are also approaching us in cases per million per day.. so while I don't feel like a threat to anyone, I’d like to feel that a little bit reciprocally even though I treat everyone as if they are infected anyway..

Christy

Angel Diva
I was happy with my buff filter mask when skiing yesterday. As others have noted, the filter does bunch up a bit. It did get damp, but I usually wear a neck gaiter and keep it over my mouth and nose on lifts, so I'm somewhat used to that feeling. So it's not perfect, but I thought it worked as well as anything would. It wouldn't wouldn't be my pick if I had to be in close contact with someone indoors, but I felt fine about it for outdoor use where I'm not having close conversations with people.

The real success of the day was the Abom goggles. They worked perfectly. No fogging. Thanks to @Olesya Chornoguz and others who recommended them.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have skied at Hunter for 3 days this past weekend, I tried 3 different face coverings: Bioskin earloop mask, Seirus Evo Dana and Buff gaiter with filter. Bioskin mask remain may favorite, Seirus was alright, got a little soggy. Buff gaiter with filter - the filter would bunch up inside the mask, it was really annoying me to adjust it. Yes, Abom goggles worked well too to prevent defogging. :smile:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was happy with my buff filter mask when skiing yesterday. As others have noted, the filter does bunch up a bit. It did get damp, but I usually wear a neck gaiter and keep it over my mouth and nose on lifts, so I'm somewhat used to that feeling. So it's not perfect, but I thought it worked as well as anything would. It wouldn't wouldn't be my pick if I had to be in close contact with someone indoors, but I felt fine about it for outdoor use where I'm not having close conversations with people.

The real success of the day was the Abom goggles. They worked perfectly. No fogging. Thanks to @Olesya Chornoguz and others who recommended them.
Congrats on the first day of the season! Doesn't it feel great to be back on the snow? Crystal looks like it has great coverage!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna