• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

k2 burnin luv comparison

skigirl009

Diva in Training
I'm interested in purchasing a pair of K2 burnin luv skis. I demo-ed them last year (previously skiing on Atomic racing skis) and absolutely LOVED them! They were like night and day compared to my Atomics. Sking in the east, I really need something that will bite into the crud and just plain ice without sliding all around. I'm leaning towards getting last years version if I can find a decent pair online (and I think I can) but I was wondering if there was a significant difference in the 09 model that would persuade me to get those. Any opinion on the subject or any comparison between the two years of skis would be appreciated!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The only difference that I know of between the older and newer models is that they 1) changed the graphics -- in my opinion, for the better; and 2) increased the waist size from 68 to 70. Pretty minor stuff, if you ask me.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 2009 is a completely different ski, not only a different waist, going from a 68 to a 70 but a whole new construction. The 08 model was a cap construction where the 09 is a sandwich design. Although I haven't skied the 09, it is a much more substantial ski. Here is a picture from Epic matching the 09 with the new Krypton Storm, they do look very nice together.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

*BTW, I have the new Krypton Kryzma, but now I want the Storm too, thanks to this pic. Isn't it BEAUTIFUL!

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What size are you looking for? I may be selling mine. Since I moved out west I no longer need an ice ski, and will probably be using wider skis. I have the 2007model (see pic) with the integrated Marker piston bindings, & I believe they are 163cm:
skis-1.jpg

I never really used them much, so they are in excellent condition. I'll probably try to get around $300 for them. PM me if interested... & I can take pics of the actual skis for you.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have read about the changes in the BL construction and am very curious about how the new model performs. Reason: this is an extremely popular "ice coast" ski, even in its former incarnation of cap construction. I see them everywhere. If you find a stellar deal on an 07 or 08 (deal above is :thumbsup: :D), I'd say jump -- you'd know for sure what you're getting, having demo'd. My experience is that K2's are way tough to find good deals on, as I hunted for one last spring without success.

skigirl009

Diva in Training
What size are you looking for? I may be selling mine. Since I moved out west I no longer need an ice ski, and will probably be using wider skis. I have the 2007model (see pic) with the integrated Marker piston bindings, & I believe they are 163cm:
skis-1.jpg

I never really used them much, so they are in excellent condition. I'll probably try to get around $300 for them. PM me if interested... & I can take pics of the actual skis for you.

Thanks for the offer - that is a really good deal - but I'd be buying either the 153cm or the 160cm.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only Diva who has skied both?

I have a pair of the original BL's (with the flowers) they are my all time favourite ski, I have demoed many different skis in many different conditions and have never found anything I'd rather ski on than my BL's.

This year I demoed the brand new ones, the rep did say the construction is different and they are noticeably stiffer. I found them just as nippy and easy to turn and stable and forgiving as my old skis, but when I got off them and back onto my BL's, I really couldn't say they are any better.

If you like to have the latest and greatest you could easily purchase the 09 model and be sure you are going to love them (I really like the new graphics), but if you find a good deal on the previous model I don't think you are missing out on a lot.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that's weird (maybe I'm just weird), I thought the 08-09 BL's were blue (?)

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:ski2:ah ha! thank you. I CANNOT wait to try my red BL's (07-08 model), [thinking of screamin red flashes flying down the slopes]

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^ Will confirm from personal experience that the above diva can move quickly on those BL's! :D

keddy

Diva in Training
hi all...been looking back on this thread with interest. (thanks for the great question, skigirl)
Here is a new twist on the issue...
What do you westerners feel would be the better Luv ski (I am mostly looking at the Lotta and BL) for someone who is fast and aggressive on the groomers, but wants to get better at mogul runs. I am not looking for a good powder ski..have that already and I usually board on pow days anyways...
Basically, I am an old ex-racer (38 yo. 5'5' 160lbs) who is at the hill 3 days a week. I board about half the time, but would really love to work on the blacks and move up from an intermediate bumper to an expert bumper. I currently ski on Salomon Scream Pilots, and have been spending my extra $ on boarding equipment for the last couple of years. I really want to get new skis, and have been able to demo Head Wild Thangs. I have also read a lot of info on the Atomic Foxy Mamas, and my DH thinks they are the ski for me... Sadly, none of the hills we are travelling to this year for kids races have much to demo besides Head, and we do not have demo days at our hill anymore :(
Any advice???

Jilly

Staff member
I took the Foxy's for a ride last year. I'm considering the Heaven's Gate for myself this year. Foxy is built off the Metron, but much lighter. Goes through the crud, carves great, likes ice and can take speed. Kinda like your X-screams. (Time to retire those!) You might like the Salomon Origin or Opal too. The Opal is built off the men's X-wing. I've only tried it on a small hill, want to take it for a ride at Tremblant. I have a demo day with the CSIA coming up the first week of December. Hoping both will be there.

keddy

Diva in Training
Thanks! Funny that I am back to thinking of the Foxy's...DH read the Ski Canada reviews and thought they fit my ski style, etc...but I HATED the name! Now that they have changed it to Heaven's Gate (or is it 7th Heaven...) I might try and have a look at them. One thing that I have read about the Salomon Origins is that they are more geared for a lighter lady. If I was thinking of sticking with Salomons, I might even look at a man's ski. Not sure. My big concern with the Origins is that they chatter when you push them to go fast. For me, that is an issue...I ski when I want to fly, and board when I want to float.
Good luck demoing. How is Tremblant? Would love to head out there one day.

Jilly

Staff member
Foxy is Heaven's Gate. 7th Heaven was the Suga Moma, check for the "pads" its built off the Nomad series. Last year the Salomon rep told us to sell the X-wing 10 to any lady that wanted the Origin, but couldn't take the flowers. Don't know, didn't try it. I live in Amer town. Atomic and Salomon have their Canadian warehouses here. So I can get lots of info, but never demo's!

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keddy - You may want to consider twin tips for bump skis. I used to have a pair of burning luvs as bump skis, but recently replaced them with K2 Missdemeanors. I love the additional control and return you get with twins in the bumps. Also (and this is just my opinion) I like a narrow ski in the bumps. My Phat Luvs at 87 underfoot always felt a little thick to me. My missies are 80 and that's a wide as I want to go for a ski meant primarily for bumps. Good luck!!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer my Lotta Luvs in the bumps/trees over my Burnin' Luvs.

I prefer my Burnin' Luvs on the groomers/early season/late season/hard packed conditions.

I like both of them in the powder and the steeps.

Haven't skied my Phat Luvs yet! probably have a month or two before the conditions are right for them.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi all...been looking back on this thread with interest. (thanks for the great question, skigirl)
Here is a new twist on the issue...
What do you westerners feel would be the better Luv ski (I am mostly looking at the Lotta and BL) for someone who is fast and aggressive on the groomers, but wants to get better at mogul runs. I am not looking for a good powder ski..have that already and I usually board on pow days anyways...
Basically, I am an old ex-racer (38 yo. 5'5' 160lbs) who is at the hill 3 days a week. I board about half the time, but would really love to work on the blacks and move up from an intermediate bumper to an expert bumper. I currently ski on Salomon Scream Pilots, and have been spending my extra $ on boarding equipment for the last couple of years. I really want to get new skis, and have been able to demo Head Wild Thangs. I have also read a lot of info on the Atomic Foxy Mamas, and my DH thinks they are the ski for me... Sadly, none of the hills we are travelling to this year for kids races have much to demo besides Head, and we do not have demo days at our hill anymore :(
Any advice???
For a fast and aggressive ex-racer definitely try the BLs. I think they are happiest on groomers. I'll also throw in another vote for the Salomon Origins that Jilly mentioned, although being wider all around I'm not sure how they would be in bumps? I bought some at the end of last season & I totally LOVE them overall, but have not yet gotten to try them in a wide variety of conditions. They would probably be comparable to the Lotta Luvs in some ways, but maybe a bit livelier. This is just a guess based on the brand differences though, as I have not skied the LLs.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought a pair of the BLs last season and love them. They are fabulous on the ice and hard pack and can handle a few inches of soft snow or crud. I also love them in the bumps! I have never tried the Lottas and everyone I know who has those rave about them. I bought the BLs instead because I have a pair of Phats and wanted a more specific second ski.

Mu daughter has the Missdemeanors - maybe I will have to "borrow" those :eyebrows:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga