• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Picture Organic coat you linked to has a hem that falls below the cuffs, which might make the upper body-lower body fit more difficult. A shorter waisted coat might help with fit, as it won't have to go over hips. Like this one https://tinyurl.com/29bfspuy

One thing to look for as well in stock photos, is how well does the jacket fit the model, and how tall is that model actually. I picked up a used coat online thinking it would hit mid-hip. Nope, much longer on me, and not what I was looking for. I took another look at the stock photos, and they all show the coat hitting mid hip, but the sleeves also hit above the wrist bone (tall, slim models, which I am not!) So on most people it would fit longer than shown in the body assuming most skiers want their sleeves to come down to their hands. That coat now needs to find a new home, and I now know that in that brand I really need to shop petite sizes (at 5'4 I can usually go with regular sizing for coats). Anyone interested in a used Obermeyer Siren, size 12, in blue? https://tinyurl.com/t723v7ky

Jenny

Angel Diva
The Picture Organic coat you linked to has a hem that falls below the cuffs, which might make the upper body-lower body fit more difficult. A shorter waisted coat might help with fit, as it won't have to go over hips. Like this one https://tinyurl.com/29bfspuy

One thing to look for as well in stock photos, is how well does the jacket fit the model, and how tall is that model actually. I picked up a used coat online thinking it would hit mid-hip. Nope, much longer on me, and not what I was looking for. I took another look at the stock photos, and they all show the coat hitting mid hip, but the sleeves also hit above the wrist bone (tall, slim models, which I am not!) So on most people it would fit longer than shown in the body assuming most skiers want their sleeves to come down to their hands. That coat now needs to find a new home, and I now know that in that brand I really need to shop petite sizes (at 5'4 I can usually go with regular sizing for coats). Anyone interested in a used Obermeyer Siren, size 12, in blue? https://tinyurl.com/t723v7ky
Hmmmm, was I a 10 or a 12 in Obermeyer . . . . must think.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have that Obermeyer 12P jacket posted for sale, grey herringbone. I'm 5'2" barely and it hits me above mid-hip, above where my bum gets, ahem, bigger.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
@skinnyfootskis - Not on sale at the moment, but that jacket is available at Evo.com

Thank you. I did note that one of the models was 5’10 in a small.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Under my shell (for cold weather around 0-10) 2 x wool baselayer, down vest sweater weight, down jacket sweater weight, shell. For warm (30-40) 1 base layer, sometimes a mid later (usually a thin fleece) or the down sweater weight vest, shell. In general I run hot as opposed to cold though. Under the shell pants it’s usually just a single heavyweight fleeced baselayer even on the coldest days. I really find double base layers on the bottom not comfortable at all.

I’ve been a shell outer layer wearer for a long time so hopefully I like the new insulated jacket I got for this season! Definitely will have to switch up my layering plan though….

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those of you who use a shell......what do you wear under it? Do you wear it mostly when it’s warmer?
Most days, just a base layer. I'm good down to about -6C (or a bit colder if it's sunny and not windy) with just a shell and baselayer (my most used one is a lightweight merino long sleeved top, 140gsm). If it's very windy, the wind seems to press the jacket shell material against me and suck out the warmth, so I'll add a mid layer (i have a midweight merino zip hoodie i got off ebay which works great for this). Same for if it's very cold. It doesn't get colder than about -12C here. -6C to 2C is probably pretty normal.

I do run slightly hot. It also helps that I have super warm mittens, so my hands are NEVER cold. :smile: I used to always feel overheated in insulated jackets.

Edit: under my shell pants, just base layer (3/4 merino leggings). I did buy an insulated mid layer pant but there have only been like two days that were cold enough to justify them, and I forgot to bring them both times. :tongue:

And yes, I am addicted to merino :bounce:

altagirl

Staff member
For those of you who use a shell......what do you wear under it? Do you wear it mostly when it’s warmer?
I run cold but still only ever use a shell jacket. If it's warm (barely freezing) I might just wear a baselayer or two. Normally a thin puffy jacket and wool baselayer If its really cold (below 0F) then a thicker puffy jacket or extra baselayers. Basically I make it an insulated jacket BUT I can adjust it depending on the day. I haven't had an insulated jacket in several decades but the shell jackets have always worked for me down to about -20F and windy which is really my limit anyway. I just look like a marshmallow at that point with my super thick puffy under my shell. But it works.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Under my shell (for cold weather around 0-10) 2 x wool baselayer, down vest sweater weight, down jacket sweater weight, shell. For warm (30-40) 1 base layer, sometimes a mid later (usually a thin fleece) or the down sweater weight vest, shell. In general I run hot as opposed to cold though.
This cold weather approach is similar to mine, but my warm weather approach is heftier as I can’t ditch a mid layer until it is seriously warm. For frigid (F single digits and below) I am putting these cold weather layers under my down insulated jacket, lol. Base layer and shell alone doesn’t happen for me until 40+F. Heck, my boot heaters and heated mitts are pumping until we hit the 40s!

Most days, just a base layer. I'm good down to about -6C (or a bit colder if it's sunny and not windy) with just a shell and baselayer
-6C = 21F and I am cold just reading this, lol. I am more than a bit jealous here as I thought it was just my hubby that was comfortable dressed like that!

altagirl

Staff member
This cold weather approach is similar to mine, but my warm weather approach is heftier as I can’t ditch a mid layer until it is seriously warm. For frigid (F single digits and below) I am putting these cold weather layers under my down insulated jacket, lol. Base layer and shell alone doesn’t happen for me until 40+F. Heck, my boot heaters and heated mitts are pumping until we hit the 40s!

-6C = 21F and I am cold just reading this, lol. I am more than a bit jealous here as I thought it was just my hubby that was comfortable dressed like that!
I'm the same. DH will ski in a shell and thin baselayer down to what I think of as very cold skiing... I've just never liked the feel of an insulated jacket compared to layering various down jackets under a shell. And then I can still use the shell when it is warm sping skiing (like 40-60F and sunny) and don't actually need the insulation. I think our temps vary so much I prefer the adjustability.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I've just never liked the feel of an insulated jacket compared to layering various down jackets under a shell.
Totally agree on preferring a shell and layers, but preference plummets with the temps. I ski in a shell/layers when possible, but when it is seriously cold, I put my wool layers and compressible down puffy under my down insulated jacket. If I could just have hot flashes at will, that would help, lol.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Layers, lots and lots of layers :laughter: In order of appearance here's what I wear :
Camisole
Base layer thermal
Mons Royale merino
Mons Royale midweight hoody (if its really cold)
Low profile slim fitting down jacket
Shell

In early season I sometimes switch out the shell for a full on down jacket if its realllllllly cold and as the season progresses and it warms up items such as the Mons Hoody and the base layer thermal etc get ditched. I have been known to ski in spring with just a camisole under my shell if it gets really warm !

elemmac

Angel Diva
I use a pretty basic layering system:
- Baselayer (t-shirt, or long sleeve...normally merino wool of varying weights)
- Midlayer (1/4 zip grid fleece or similar)
- Insulator (synthetic puffy)
- Shell (self explanatory)

It takes some time to really figure out what works for you. But once you put in the effort, have a few underdressed days, and a few overdressed, you can really work out a system that is customized to your specific needs.

For exceptionally cold days, I do have a down jacket that replaces the insulator and shell in my "system". But really...that gets a lot more use walking the dog than it does skiing.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a pretty basic layering system:
- Baselayer (t-shirt, or long sleeve...normally merino wool of varying weights)
- Midlayer (1/4 zip grid fleece or similar)
- Insulator (synthetic puffy)
- Shell (self explanatory)

It takes some time to really figure out what works for you. But once you put in the effort, have a few underdressed days, and a few overdressed, you can really work out a system that is customized to your specific needs.

For exceptionally cold days, I do have a down jacket that replaces the insulator and shell in my "system". But really...that gets a lot more use walking the dog than it does skiing.
This is my layering system with the midlayer and insulator being left out depending on temps. I like down when it's below about 15, and I have varying fill weights of down to boot. My favorite insulator is ArcTeryx Atom...can't remember if it's an AR or LT. It breathes so well.

I rarely wear insulated jackets or pants anymore.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, consider the environment in which you ski. Skiing in New England generally exposes one too cold damp air unless blessed with a bluebird and warm day. It seems to be the kind of cold that seeps into one’s bones. When I ski in Utah I am always surprised at how much warmer I feel in less gear at the same number temperature. The drier air just doesn’t make me as achy. I’ve learned not to cut some of my really heavy insulated stuff with me.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Most days, just a base layer. I'm good down to about -6C (or a bit colder if it's sunny and not windy) with just a shell and baselayer (my most used one is a lightweight merino long sleeved top, 140gsm). If it's very windy, the wind seems to press the jacket shell material against me and suck out the warmth, so I'll add a mid layer (i have a midweight merino zip hoodie i got off ebay which works great for this). Same for if it's very cold. It doesn't get colder than about -12C here. -6C to 2C is probably pretty normal.

I do run slightly hot. It also helps that I have super warm mittens, so my hands are NEVER cold. :smile: I used to always feel overheated in insulated jackets.

Edit: under my shell pants, just base layer (3/4 merino leggings). I did buy an insulated mid layer pant but there have only been like two days that were cold enough to justify them, and I forgot to bring them both times. :tongue:

And yes, I am addicted to merino :bounce:
Sadly I cannot wear wool. Only in socks.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Totally agree on preferring a shell and layers, but preference plummets with the temps. I ski in a shell/layers when possible, but when it is seriously cold, I put my wool layers and compressible down puffy under my down insulated jacket. If I could just have hot flashes at will, that would help, lol.
Yeah, but sadly those flashes don’t happen when you need them. Grrr lol

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sadly I cannot wear wool. Only in socks.
Ah! One of my local ski friends is the same. She's tried the high quality merino brands etc - just can't handle it against her skin, she gets an itchy rash.

Lots of great polyester (and other materials) base layers out there though :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Layers, lots and lots of layers :laughter: In order of appearance here's what I wear :
Camisole
Base layer thermal
Mons Royale merino
Mons Royale midweight hoody (if its really cold)
Low profile slim fitting down jacket
Shell

In early season I sometimes switch out the shell for a full on down jacket if its realllllllly cold and as the season progresses and it warms up items such as the Mons Hoody and the base layer thermal etc get ditched. I have been known to ski in spring with just a camisole under my shell if it gets really warm !
Look what I found

Thinking maybe I should purchase for Taos which is very very cold...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna