• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How's your first day of the season?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well today was my first day on skis since I zigged when I should have zagged at Snowbird last April during the PSIA National Academy. I had a major Boo-boo, large bucket tear of the meniscus, severed ACL, frayed MCL, several fractures of the Tibullus plateau, condial head, patella, and tore my quadriceps muscle. It totally sucked! I choose to do a ton of rehab and wear a brace. I trained very hard all summer and today I put on my big girl panties and went out to the hill. It went pretty well! Not ready to hit boxes, bumps or run gates but felt great to be sliding again without pain!!!!
Wow! Good for you to make it back to the slopes already. Did you have any surgery?

CTskigrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Wow. Everyone's posting these amazing pictures with fresh powder and snow covered peaks. I'm a little embarrassed to share about my first day seeing as how there was definitely more grass than snow covering the mountain. My official first day on snow was the Sunday before last at my little mountain (read:hill, barely) There were exactly 3 trails open - the bunny hill, the easiest trail from the top and the main intermediate run under the double lift. There were a couple hundred people out on the hill, pretty much all of them staff or kids in the race program. I think I got about 15-20 runs in, which means I probably skied a total of 1.5 miles. Typical CT machine made snow/ice mix but still tons of fun. This past Sunday DH and I made it up to Mount Snow. Very few trails, but what was open was covered pretty well and they were blowing snow like crazy. Hopefully temps will stay low this week so they can make more - looks like we may even get some natural stuff this weekend. Fingers crossed!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day today, at Mountain High in SoCal with Contesstant. I'm in grad school and have been behind a desk, reading and studying all fall so was VERY apprehensive about whether I'd even be able to do this again. Well, the muscle memory kicked right in and we had a super first day. We only skied the morning (no sense pushing it), but I was THRILLED to experience good things happening. My stamina is close to non-existent and my thighs got tired, so I will be working on that!

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All I can say is, wish I was there... just took my ski's to the shop to get the bindings mounted...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so happy to say I was not sore but just a tiny bit after my first day! Now, it wasn't a strenuous day per se, the snow was very smooth, but still, I'm happy!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day today, at Mountain High in SoCal with Contesstant. I'm in grad school and have been behind a desk, reading and studying all fall so was VERY apprehensive about whether I'd even be able to do this again. Well, the muscle memory kicked right in and we had a super first day. We only skied the morning (no sense pushing it), but I was THRILLED to experience good things happening. My stamina is close to non-existent and my thighs got tired, so I will be working on that!

I am so happy to say I was not sore but just a tiny bit after my first day! Now, it wasn't a strenuous day per se, the snow was very smooth, but still, I'm happy!

Today was my first day also. Conditions were far better than I expected in Northern Arizona so early in the season. No crowd at all. Lots of ungroomed--for preservation---and for my own personal challenge. My skis and I share a very cohesive relationship; we communicate quite well. So far.

GardenMary will be with me next week to compare notes and some more muscle engagement!! We're off and running.
It will be good for us both...all that studying gets monotonous.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Still waiting for my first day here. Last weekend was a washout since there had been rain and warm temps that ruined all the snow. This weekend is insanely busy with triple-booked stuff, so no go. Hopefully the 22nd, the day before I fly out on vacation, will be my first day.

Today was my first day also. Conditions were far better than I expected in Northern Arizona so early in the season. No crowd at all. Lots of ungroomed--for preservation---and for my own personal challenge. My skis and I share a very cohesive relationship; we communicate quite well. So far.

Badger, where in Northern Arizona do you ski? I'll be in Flagstaff around New Year's, planning to bring my ski gear with me.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Still waiting for my first day here. Last weekend was a washout since there had been rain and warm temps that ruined all the snow. This weekend is insanely busy with triple-booked stuff, so no go. Hopefully the 22nd, the day before I fly out on vacation, will be my first day.

I would say the snow is pretty good this weekend (Tremblant says they've opened some natural snow runs) but it's C-O-L-D! (minus 30 C in Morin-Heights this morning) I had hoped to go to the demo day today, but no way I'm going out in this. Getting way too wimpy in my old age! (Though I did want to test drive my new Canada Goose mitts - but I can do that in slightly warmer temps.)

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say the snow is pretty good this weekend (Tremblant says they've opened some natural snow runs) but it's C-O-L-D! (minus 30 C in Morin-Heights this morning) I had hoped to go to the demo day today, but no way I'm going out in this. Getting way too wimpy in my old age! (Though I did want to test drive my new Canada Goose mitts - but I can do that in slightly warmer temps.)

Yeah, I'm a wimp, too. I hadn't planned to ski today (too much going on here in the city) but even if I had, I probably would've crapped out due to the weather.

Isn't there a "how cold is too cold?" thread floating around somewhere? I'd say today qualifies.

Jilly

Staff member
I looked at the weathernetwork site for Tremblant -30C. That's too cold!! Glad I'm sick and really needed to get some work done at the office!! Snow coming.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just crested 0F here at 9 a.m. Balmy +4F now. Currently 0 at Sugarloaf, -10F with wind chill. Agree --- that's my lower limit anyway.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went for my first day at my home hill today (13th day alltogether for me this season). -15 C was the prognosis, so not too bad. The actual temperature was -22 C. That would have been ok too but I was dressed for -15 C. And it didn't help that the air was very humid. Very little wind though.

SkiSuki

Certified Ski Diva
My first ski day was on November 30th at my local hill (Mt. Holly) in Michigan... as it's only my second season ever, I was super happy that everything came right back and I haven't forgotten how to ski at all! :smile: I was afraid that maybe I would be overwhelmed due to having all new equipment and not having skied since March, but after a couple runs I felt great. Having my own boots and skis is absolutely WONDERFUL!

Also, I took my first real ski trip Dec. 2-5 thanks to marzNC! We had such a great time in Montreal at Saint-Saveur and Tremblant (a big thanks to SkiBam for hosting!) and Whiteface in New York was amazing as well. I paid for a group lesson there and ended up with a private since I was the only one, and the instructor said I was doing well enough that he'd take me on some groomed black runs, but there weren't any open. All in all, a very good start to the season!

Can't wait for more!!! :D

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had my first day of the season this morning at Mount Sunapee. It went pretty well considering it was 1 degree F at the base and I had to try out my new boots too. I didn't ski that great (annoying bad habits/technique issues) and only went for 2 hours but it was nice to be out skiing again. The boots were okay--at least they didn't give me the horrible shin pain the ones I got last season did. I'm not yet sure how they'll work out--I'll need to ski them a few more times. They are the worst ones I've had yet as far as getting out of when cold though! Granted it was super cold today but OMG, I could barely get out of them!
No crowds at all, which was nice and the conditions were pretty good. Pretty firm, but no ice at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My first ski day was on November 30th at my local hill (Mt. Holly) in Michigan... as it's only my second season ever, I was super happy that everything came right back and I haven't forgotten how to ski at all! :smile: I was afraid that maybe I would be overwhelmed due to having all new equipment and not having skied since March, but after a couple runs I felt great. Having my own boots and skis is absolutely WONDERFUL!

Also, I took my first real ski trip Dec. 2-5 thanks to marzNC! We had such a great time in Montreal at Saint-Saveur and Tremblant (a big thanks to SkiBam for hosting!) and Whiteface in New York was amazing as well. I paid for a group lesson there and ended up with a private since I was the only one, and the instructor said I was doing well enough that he'd take me on some groomed black runs, but there weren't any open. All in all, a very good start to the season!

Can't wait for more!!! :D
The blue from the top of the gondi at Whiteface is steeper and requires more ability than groomed blacks in some other places since parts are narrow and curvy, especially at the relatively fast speed you are willing to go. You are doing great for the number of days on snow so far! Happy to ski with you again any time.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I paid for a group lesson there and ended up with a private since I was the only one, and the instructor said I was doing well enough that he'd take me on some groomed black runs, but there weren't any open.
:D

Well, you DID get down Kandahar at Tremblant! (More runs opening up all the time, so be sure to come back!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna