• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How's your first day of the season?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Although they actually opened yesterday, I had an appointment, work and then my boss's retirement party. So, today was my first ski day of the season. I only intended to ski the morning to not overdo. Cataloochee (NC) had double the usual opening terrain open and much better conditions than usual-no time for ice to form yet and an 18-36 inch base. Early was quite good with few others around. As the day went on mostly snowboarders appeared and before noon so did light rain. But in spite of that, it was all I could hope for in an opening day and I hope to get 1-3 more days before Steamboat race camp in early December.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first weekend Ruka was open I was working :( but next weekend I went all in: I took a day off on Friday and stayed for three days to ski the WROD. All two runs (about 100 m of vert). Since I knew I would eventually get bored (and anyway my telemark would probably be all forgotten) I booked a few lessons. The instructor had been tele skiing for about as long as I have existed and even competed in world cup earlier. His name was Markku so he was called Tele-Markku :smile:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far the season has been great. Only 1 so so day out of 6. 1st day at A-Basin in Oct. had good conditions and was not crowded. Copper's opening day was snowy and the accidents on I-70 kept the crowds down. The 1 not so good day was last Friday at Copper (the day they announced the US ski team). A combination of racers and wanna be's made Main Vein pretty scary. Plus, my old boots were not working well so we left before the team was announced. Skiing Copper and Keystone this week was good. All areas here are slowly opening more runs. Snow this weekend is helping too. Oh and getting my new boots fitted this week made things a lot better, too.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First day of the season was good! Got to try out both the new Volkl race skis and Zipfit liners. We hit up Big Boulder for a couple hours today. They only have 1 trail/park open (Freedom Park), so it was a little busy at times, but not terrible. I would prefer my first trip out to not be in a terrain park, but I'll take what I can get. This is PA and it is November, after all!

Zipfit liners worked out well. Were pretty tight and stiff initially, but softened up and I think the cork moved around a good bit. They were feeling pretty comfortable by the end of the day. Also pretty pleased with the Volkl Racetigers. Was kind of hard to get a great feel for them given that I was still trying to find my ski legs for the season, and the park was pretty flat and crowded, so I never got much speed up on them. But from what I could tell they felt pretty smooth and stable, good edge grip. Volkl-esque!

Also of note is that we skied without poles today. We managed to forget them at home. :bag: Hey, makes for better technique, right?!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Tinymoose: "Also of note is that we skied without poles today. We managed to forget them at home. :bag: Hey, makes for better technique, right?!
]

Better you than me! I cannot even get to the lift with my crummy feet and no poles! I'm glad you two had a good first day out! "Yay!" on the Zipfit liners and the Vokl Racetigers! :clap:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Just enjoyed my first day of the season at Mammoth. It was a little icy with a few rocks or bare spots, but it was skiing and it was good.

Made about 10 runs. Didn't ski too hard. Met a couple of nice people to ski with.

Knee was good, no brace, no pain killers, no problem. :smile:

I am beyond stoked!

Broadway

IMG_20131118_153202_314_zps7164ff9b.jpg

Andy's Double Gold

IMG_20131118_154632_099_zpsc0bf67a5.jpg

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Skibum, good news on the knee! Is that scar tissue massage stuff (whatever it's called) doing the job, then?

Oh, and now that the weather here is colder I'm ready to ski, however my first day is still a few weeks away, so I'm now officially jealous of you all!

mustski

Angel Diva
That is good news SB! No knee pain is a good day! DH said to tell you that he didn't ski today, but his knees hurt anyway.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Yes, I've gained close to 15 degrees of ROM.

Oddly enough, one of the skiers I met today, who lives and practices in Mammoth, is a PT/chiropractor. He says he would like to see my knee and that he might be able to do even better. I may take him up on it; he's a lot less expensive than the PT I've been seeing.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I've gained close to 15 degrees of ROM.

15 degrees is excellent. Isn't that more than you were even hoping for?

Congratulations on your pain-free first day! I'm still not quite ready for the season. It's all of the unknowns ... not knowing people, the roads, or the mountain. I think a scouting trip may be needed.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Tremblant opens Friday, all going according to plan. And already the emails are flying back and forth among members of our little ski group. Who will drive with whom, what time, should we bring our lunch, what will be weather be, etc. etc. It seems to take countless emails for us to get ready for one ski day - this will go on all winter. Can't wait for the first day.

Jilly

Staff member
Lizzy and I are driving up Friday PM. I'll add to your emails later this week!!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Tremblant opens Friday, all going according to plan. And already the emails are flying back and forth among members of our little ski group. Who will drive with whom, what time, should we bring our lunch, what will be weather be, etc. etc. It seems to take countless emails for us to get ready for one ski day - this will go on all winter. Can't wait for the first day.

Yea for Tremblant! Let the e-mails fly!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Just one picture worth sharing. This is DH skiing down Saddle Bowl, which is the highest run currently open. Today was even better than yesterday; cooler, less windy, and the snow stayed great.

SAM_0297_zpsd57fcaba.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna