• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: How's your first day of the season?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
litterbug, sounds perfect to me!! I'm planning to work on a lot more drills at Mammoth in a week and figure out which one(s) really click for me and will implement them in my daily ski routine. Glad you'll be joining us at Snowbasin!!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski coach won't let his instructors all the way up the hill on their first training day until they've spent an entire hour on the bunny slope. I figure he knows what he's talking about and have pretty much followed suit, especially after my spectacular yard-sale crash 2 years ago on the first day of my season.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski coach won't let his instructors all the way up the hill on their first training day until they've spent an entire hour on the bunny slope. I figure he knows what he's talking about and have pretty much followed suit, especially after my spectacular yard-sale crash 2 years ago on the first day of my season.
Oof! At least I saved my crashes until later on...

I spent a lot of time arguing with my left knee today because it just does not want to roll outward on left turns unless I'm zipping along with more angulation or counter or whatever it is, and even then it feels like I'm dragging or forcing the ski around instead it running parallel to my right ski like on my right turns. My left hip just feels stuck. :mad: Unfortunately my knee does not respond well to criticism, so I'm going to try some floor work to loosen up my hips, and do more outside boot touches and nose over outside toes to get my left hip moving inside the turn. It's kind if fun, actually, and I'm already feeling more at home on my skis.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And Christy informed me that that was probably the worst snow I'd see all season.

Well, after my second day of the season, I am back to report ... Christy was Wrong. I skied Mt Hood Meadows on Friday. It was frozen granular with spots of frozen non-granular. Much worse than anything we saw at Stevens Pass. Plus only 3 lifts were running. Plus one went on wind hold. This was all on the lower part of the mountain.

But then, maybe Christy was assuming I'd be smart enough to not go out in predictably bad conditions. Well, she was Wrong there too! I'm clearly not that smart.

For the limited time I was out, though, I did have fun. It took a while, but the old Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young song "Love the One You're With" came to mind while I was on the lift and I, uh, adjusted the lyrics ...

Don't be angry
Don't be sad
Don't sit there crying
Over good times you'd've had
Cause there's a trail right beneath you
Just waiting for you to do.

There's a pole in a fisted glove
And the chairlift runs right above
If you can't be with the run you love, Honey
Love the run you're with
Love the run you're with.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, after my second day of the season, I am back to report ... Christy was Wrong. I skied Mt Hood Meadows on Friday. It was frozen granular with spots of frozen non-granular. Much worse than anything we saw at Stevens Pass. Plus only 3 lifts were running. Plus one went on wind hold. This was all on the lower part of the mountain.

But then, maybe Christy was assuming I'd be smart enough to not go out in predictably bad conditions. Well, she was Wrong there too! I'm clearly not that smart.

For the limited time I was out, though, I did have fun. It took a while, but the old Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young song "Love the One You're With" came to mind while I was on the lift and I, uh, adjusted the lyrics ...

Don't be angry
Don't be sad
Don't sit there crying
Over good times you'd've had
Cause there's a trail right beneath you
Just waiting for you to do.

There's a pole in a fisted glove
And the chairlift runs right above
If you can't be with the run you love, Honey
Love the run you're with
Love the run you're with.

These guys took that sentiment to the extreme:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2014/01/video-of-the-day-monster-shredding-through-crap-snow/

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Laugh out loud LOVE the initial moaning groaning futile search for snow! :laughter:I do wonder what his bases looked like afterwards, but with a rack like that it probably doesn't matter.

Yep, even if he never used those skis again, I think he would've counted it a success. After a run like that, I suppose the thing to do is to hang them in a place of honour and treat yourself to new skis.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Finally had our first day today. We remembered to bring everything we needed, good news - we remember how to ski!

We also saw a bald eagle, the sun came out partway through the day, and I found $40 in my ski pants pocket.

All in all, a good day. I'm sure I'm ready for CO now . . .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna