• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

High speed pivot slip?

abc

Banned
Totally agree. Slide slipping is an important tool, I put these skills to good use down some steeps chutes yesterday when turns were not an option.
Those are the typical side "slip" I'm thinking of. I bet you were engaging your edge A LOT in those situations though!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe the the edge release misunderstanding in only a confusion in drill names :noidea::

Side Slip = sliding sideways straight down the hill, working edge angles and weight distribution to control speed and direction.

Pivot Slip = edgeless side slips joined at regular intervals with 180 degree edgeless direction changes within a narrow corridor (each direction change means you're facing the opposite direction).

Falling Leaf = Directional side slips using weight distribution fore and aft to change direction while sliding on the same set of edges (you're always facing the same direction but sliding towards the tips or tails of the skis).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ Thank you, vg. Finally, someone with the real definition distinction, in concise form. Up until this post, it's all been about splitting semantic hairs. My goodness, a side slip can be for 1 or 2 feet, to get into position for an entry into steeps. Not altogether talking about side-slipping an entire run here, just what the actual skis are doing that defines it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga