• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hidden talents of the Ski Divas

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Is there something you're good at that no one really knows about? Or can you do something that's a little, well, offbeat? I thought it'd be interesting to see what hidden talents we have in our midst here on the forum.

For example, I can bake the world's best carrot cake. No lie. I will put my carrot cake up against anyone else's, any where, any time, and I guarantee this: I will win. It is that amazing. It's the one thing I make that is always, always, always a home run.

And second -- and this is a bit of a throwback -- I know shorthand. Well, a variant of shorthand called "Notehand," which looks a lot like shorthand but is a little bit different. I learned this way back in high school to help with taking notes college, and though there's quite a bit I don't remember, I use it to this day. (Added bonus: when I was in college, no one could borrow my notes; there was no way they could read them.)

So what about you?

I can juggle. Mainly socks or tennis balls, anything roundish or easy to hold in the hand. I learned in grammar school and never forgot. I still remember the steps in which they taught me how to do it. I can teach anyone.

I still remember how to read roman numerals. This came in very handy a couple years ago on a temp assignment with Random House books. We were doing this book inventory project in one of their warehouses and noting book information including book year into a spreadsheet. Most of the books used roman numerals for book publication year. I was the only one out of the lot of us that could read the year. I taught them the basics and they all asked me when they couldn't remember when going through the books.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I play piano and sing which I know is pretty ordinary. But the interesting part is that I often get asked to play at funerals- I'm sort of the funeral favourite, which is nice and not nice at the same time. They like me because I belt out a rousing song - fast and loud, not morbidly, and sing with a microphone so that people can sing along comfortably - people are not used to singing in public theses days, and they don't know the old songs very well.
Sadly I've had to go to lots of funerals though.

I know how to get stuck lambs out of their mother during a tricky labour.

I forgot I can also make myself burp. I had a girlfriend teach me in grammar school. I wouldn't win a belching contest but I can burp on command :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I am excellent painter (house kind) - I can take on any faux technique and pick it up the first time I try it. It probably comes from all the years of experimenting with set pieces and various crafts.

I also make jewelry -some of it quite complicated. I think my designs are quite beautiful.

alicie

Angel Diva
I have ridiculously good memory, unless I have to memorise something. I've never been able to memorise things like poems but if I was in a class or lecture and the teacher was going through a PowerPoint or something, I can remember pretty much anything from it almost exactly.

altagirl

Staff member
I can type 100 wpm and am something (or > was) of a "speed reader."

My typing skills vary a bit, but I've hit 100wpm on occasion.

I can also list (and spell) all the countries and capitals in the world (don't ask me to pronounce everything though). Inexplicably, doing timed online quizzes for this is relaxing to me.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My typing skills vary a bit, but I've hit 100wpm on occasion.

I can also list (and spell) all the countries and capitals in the world (don't ask me to pronounce everything though). Inexplicably, doing timed online quizzes for this is relaxing to me.
That's impressive, considering how they change a lot.

I can name the states in alphabetical order. But they haven't changed since Hawaii/Alaska ECM in, whichever one was last.

alicie

Angel Diva
I'm shockingly slow at typing. I only ever type with two fingers, could never get the hang of touch typing. I am ridiculously fast at reading though.

And not a talent as such but I'm an encyclopaedia for friends (the telly show). I've watched every episode of it too many times to count (and I mean hundreds upon hundreds of times).

And talent I have is pretty much useless, everybody gets good talents, mine are like the leftover ones.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Please, @alicie, like reciting the states in alphabetical order while I perform a medieval dance is useful, ever! (Not sure I could actually do them together, I still have to count steps, too, which would mess up everything.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna