• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: help me figure out which skis to demo?!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
hi there,

ski divas have been really helpful w/r/t figuring out what next skis to demo so i'm here to ask in my own thread what i should look at. i was really sold on the black crows captis birdie but it's another twin tip - and i already have one. i spoke to my seasonal instructor who's been teaching at Hunter and at Taos for the past 15 years and i ski with him and our group each week - he had some comments.

he says: "evo - you should have a pair in your quiver without a tail rocker. with your style and energy, I recommend a ski with some high energy rebound from the tail. maybe an elan ripstick or a stoeckli 95 storm rider. in any case, have fun in Washington! -smc"

he knows the blizzard black pearl is very well loved by women in general but he thinks it's too intermediate of a ski for me. but i know you all said that the 2018 is much different than previous years. i guess my question is - in what way is it different? would it be more suitable for an advanced skier or less suitable after the changes?

here is the list of skis i should try as determined by ski divas - is there anything i should nix or add given what he's said?:
Volkl Yumi 84s
K2 Alluvit 88s
Stockli Stormrider 85s
dynastar legend w88
k2 fulluvit 95
blizzard black pearl 98
nordica santa ana 93 or 100

someone in my group has both the fischer ranger 98w's (which i liked for floaty days) and she has the rossy sassy skis - she liked them both. i will try it if i can manage to try it.

my past comments on demos from last year:
"i've tried the head great joys - i didn't love it, felt it was too boring of a ski. i've tried the atomic vantage's 95 underfoot and i thought this ski is too fast for me - although it was fun to rip on those which i liked. and i've tried the fischer ranger 98w which i thought was really fun playful.

i like a really fun ride, i don't like to go faster than i'm comfortable with. i'm advanced but by no means not near expert territory. what 2018 ski would you recommend? i keep hearing about stockli, dps, black crows and the santa anas by nordica. thanks for any insight...!"

"i did feel the atomic vantage's have a mind of their own compared to my current ski which is a twin tip.

i'm just seeking a playful ski that can rip. unfortunately i don't know if the fischer ranger 98w can rip as i didn't get to test it down truly challenging terrain.

okay i'm guessing i'll be glad with whatever comes my way. i should also say i want to get down steep moguls with ease, and with skill, and to ski it well... any ski to encourage confidence would be helpful. soft bumps, i'm fine with. it's when those bumps turn into hard moguls, i'm not so much confident at all..."

elemmac

Angel Diva
Based on your descriptions above...I'd add the Armada Victa 87Ti to your list. Solid performer, you can definitely get some high energy out of the ski while carving, but it also has a pretty awesome playful side to it.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Based on your descriptions above...I'd add the Armada Victa 87Ti to your list. Solid performer, you can definitely get some high energy out of the ski while carving, but it also has a pretty awesome playful side to it.

thank you! this is so helpful. it's hard to know what to look for as i haven't really had a reason to shop for a new ski until now. i'm excited to hear about the awesome playful side to it....!

new revised list - he asked me to take out the K2 and the blizzard black pearls off the try-to-demo list, so i will for now:
Volkl Yumi 84s
Stockli Stormrider 85s or 95s
dynastar legend w88
elan ripstick women's 94
Rossignol Sassy
Armada Victa 87Ti

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I disagree that the BP 88 is too much of an intermediate ski. I'd put the Yumi in that category, however. Caveat: I have not skied the newest version of the Yumi. But the old version to ME had zero pop and energy. It was very blah. I was skiing a 2012 Black Pearl when I demoed them. There are a lot of female instructors at Snowbasin on various years' Black Pearls.

I have the Dynastar Glory 89s, which are similar construction to the Legend W88 I believe. I really, really did not care for the 5-point sidecut. I felt like there was no tip to engage. (I have mine up for sale--brand new.) I'd not take them off the list, though. I have a friend who rips all over the whole mountain on them. That 5-point design, though, on ice...ack!

Demoed the Victa 87 last year and like it a lot. I just felt it was a bit more work than the BPs, as was the Santa Ana 93, that being said, I also have new boots this year that magically make my skis that much easier to maneuver. I'm looking forward to testing these skis again next month. I own the earlier version of the Santa Ana 100, and it's a hoot in soft snow. To me, it skis similarly to the BP--solid, fun, easy, playful, but not lacking guts at all. But, I own the older version without metal, so can't comment on the latest version.

My thought is take out as many as you can. You might be surprised with some, and you might be disappointed with others. I would NOT take the BP 88 or 98 off the list. Read the reviews--yes, I'm biased; yes, I love mine and have probably 80 days on them so far. Yes, those rippin' chicks out there testing them also love them, for a reason. The newest version has changed the sidecut to make them that much more playful, and changed the shape enough that they are more serious in hard snow.

Demoing is fun! Make sure to take notes right after you ski them, and also, take out the ones that are top of the list more than once. The more variable conditions, the better!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
very interesting ok will take it out more than once if i can. the problem is - they're all on demand by a lot so i may not get to take it out more than 1x.

thank you for that in-depth thought / assessment... it's really helpful and gives me much to think about.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I own the earlier version of the Santa Ana 100, and it's a hoot in soft snow. To me, it skis similarly to the BP--solid, fun, easy, playful, but not lacking guts at all. But, I own the older version without metal, so can't comment on the latest version.

I actually typed out that I would add emphasis on trying the Santa Ana, but deleted it since I can't comment on the newer version (never skied it), and didn't want to steer @echo_NY wrong if they're not as playful as their predecessor. I will say I've only read good things about the changes though.

I skied the older version as a daily driver on the east coast for two seasons (now on their third season they acquired Kingpin bindings and are my AT ski). The ski can definitely grip and rip, but being 100 underfoot you definitely need to be able to put the ski on edge to make it grip on hardpack. They're pretty amazing in soft bumps...hard bumps...ehhh, not so much. I'd say they're a ski that gives you what you put into them. They can be quite forgiving when skied slowly, but throw energy back at you when carving aggressively.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually typed out that I would add emphasis on trying the Santa Ana, but deleted it since I can't comment on the newer version (never skied it), and didn't want to steer @echo_NY wrong if they're not as playful as their predecessor. I will say I've only read good things about the changes though.

I skied the older version as a daily driver on the east coast for two seasons (now on their third season they acquired Kingpin bindings and are my AT ski). The ski can definitely grip and rip, but being 100 underfoot you definitely need to be able to put the ski on edge to make it grip on hardpack. They're pretty amazing in soft bumps...hard bumps...ehhh, not so much. I'd say they're a ski that gives you what you put into them. They can be quite forgiving when skied slowly, but throw energy back at you when carving aggressively.
I agree with your assessment of them! Yes, easy to ski slowly and make stupid mistakes on, but up for the challenge when pushed. I feel that the BP 88s are very similar in that way. I remember commenting last season how easy it was for me to switch between the Santa Anas and BPs only because they had a similar feel to them. I didn't get a chance to test the newer Santa Anas, but hope to this time around. The conditions were such last year on testing days that we didn't stay out on the mountain all day like we'd hoped, so a lot of skis were left behind, so to speak. Hoping for better conditions this year!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I demo'd the old BP when I was already an advanced skier. But I'm pretty light weight and petite. That said, the current BP88 does not strike me as an intermediate ski. I was seriously considering getting a pair but was having fund demo'ing other options and not in a hurry.

As for the Stöckli Stormrider 85 or 95, there is probably only one downside to demo'ing them. You may really, really like them. They are pricey and used ones don't really exist. I demo'd the Stormrider 85 in PA, then again at Taos. Bought the Taos demo skis after a day. Quite a fun feeling when they start going around. I intend to keep these skis for a long time.

Took out the Volkl Yumi at Massanutten in early January. Enjoyed it much more than I expected given a previous experience with the Yumi a couple years ago. Quite responsive. Not sure if it was a function of my improved carving skills or a change in the Yumi.

K2 skis are fine for me but definitely not high energy.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
hi there,

ski divas have been really helpful w/r/t figuring out what next skis to demo so i'm here to ask in my own thread what i should look at. i was really sold on the black crows captis birdie but it's another twin tip - and i already have one. i spoke to my seasonal instructor who's been teaching at Hunter and at Taos for the past 15 years and i ski with him and our group each week - he had some comments.

he says: "evo - you should have a pair in your quiver without a tail rocker. with your style and energy, I recommend a ski with some high energy rebound from the tail. maybe an elan ripstick or a stoeckli 95 storm rider. in any case, have fun in Washington! -smc"

he knows the blizzard black pearl is very well loved by women in general but he thinks it's too intermediate of a ski for me. but i know you all said that the 2018 is much different than previous years. i guess my question is - in what way is it different? would it be more suitable for an advanced skier or less suitable after the changes?

here is the list of skis i should try as determined by ski divas - is there anything i should nix or add given what he's said?:
Volkl Yumi 84s
K2 Alluvit 88s
Stockli Stormrider 85s
dynastar legend w88
k2 fulluvit 95
blizzard black pearl 98

someone in my group has both the fischer ranger 98w's (which i liked for floaty days) and she has the rossy sassy skis - she liked them both. i will try it if i can manage to try it.

my past comments on demos from last year:
"i've tried the head great joys - i didn't love it, felt it was too boring of a ski. i've tried the atomic vantage's 95 underfoot and i thought this ski is too fast for me - although it was fun to rip on those which i liked. and i've tried the fischer ranger 98w which i thought was really fun playful.

i like a really fun ride, i don't like to go faster than i'm comfortable with. i'm advanced but by no means not near expert territory. what 2018 ski would you recommend? i keep hearing about stockli, dps, black crows and the santa anas by nordica. thanks for any insight...!"

"i did feel the atomic vantage's have a mind of their own compared to my current ski which is a twin tip.

i'm just seeking a playful ski that can rip. unfortunately i don't know if the fischer ranger 98w can rip as i didn't get to test it down truly challenging terrain.

okay i'm guessing i'll be glad with whatever comes my way. i should also say i want to get down steep moguls with ease, and with skill, and to ski it well... any ski to encourage confidence would be helpful. soft bumps, i'm fine with. it's when those bumps turn into hard moguls, i'm not so much confident at all..."
Try the Black Crow Camox Birdie - it's 97 underfoot and super fun... a couple divas here have various Black Crows...

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been skiing on Volkl 90eights recently (last year's version) and really like them. Really easy to control, very nimble in the bumps (bearing in mind that I bring enthusiasm rather than skill to moguls) and they seem ok in variable conditions too.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
wow this is all awesome to read and helpful!

@marzNC yes i saw that the stormrider is super pricey. this is partly why i haven't even thought about DPS skis. but my husband keeps saying they're quite good. i'm trying to ignore him. if i don't get to try stormriders i won't be too sad. ignorance is bliss! i will be sure to try the BP 88 then and keep the K2 skis scrapped.

@santacruz skier - does the 97 underfoot seem unwieldy at all? is it fast turning? i wanted the captis birdie as it's a little narrower at 90 and i think that tends to be my sweet spot (85 to 95) w/r/t width

@MrsPlow i have heard of volkl 90eights and have thought about adding them. perhaps then i shall switch out the yumi's for that...!

@elemmac and @contesstant thanks for your thoughts on the new BP and the santa ana 2017 or older. i am really curious to try these two. and that is great that the santa ana is playful. good to know about the 100 underfoot - maybe i ought to go for the 93. if i can, i will try both to see.

it's so helpful to read your thoughts. thank you thank you thank you!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
new revised list:
Volkl 90eights
Stockli Stormrider 85s or 95s
dynastar legend w88
elan ripstick women's 94
Rossignol Sassy
Armada Victa 87Ti
Blizzard Black Pearl 88, 98
black crows camox birdie 97

i'll try to pare down this list if i can...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wow this is all awesome to read and helpful!

@marzNC yes i saw that the stormrider is super pricey. this is partly why i haven't even thought about DPS skis. but my husband keeps saying they're quite good. i'm trying to ignore him. if i don't get to try stormriders i won't be too sad. ignorance is bliss! i will be sure to try the BP 88 then and keep the K2 skis scrapped.

@santacruz skier - does the 97 underfoot seem unwieldy at all? is it fast turning? i wanted the captis birdie as it's a little narrower at 90 and i think that tends to be my sweet spot (85 to 95) w/r/t width

@MrsPlow i have heard of volkl 90eights and have thought about adding them. perhaps then i shall switch out the yumi's for that...!

@elemmac and @contesstant thanks for your thoughts on the new BP and the santa ana 2017 or older. i am really curious to try these two. and that is great that the santa ana is playful. good to know about the 100 underfoot - maybe i ought to go for the 93. if i can, i will try both to see.

it's so helpful to read your thoughts. thank you thank you thank you!
The 90eights are a really fun ski, for sure. Good idea to try them. I have found that some skis that are 98-102mm underfoot are surprisingly nimble and playful for their width. The 90Eights are a bit more of a "serious" ski than the older variation of the Santa Anas.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearl is actually a softer ski than the Yumi (at last per my H's hand test when I demoed both), but you may not like the Yumi unless you're a smaller skier at your skill level. It seems more advanced skiers on here who aren't tiny like me don't seem to care for it all that much. They don't feel it's enough ski for them. For reference I'm 5'1" and 105 lbs. right now.

ETA: Most of the Yumi's pop and energy is in its tail. Probably the thing that makes it feel stiffer than the Black Pearl since the BP is rockered in the tail. Although, I haven't checked out the newer Black Pearl or Yumi so take all this for what it's worth.

Last edited:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't trade out the Yumi for the 90Eight. They are VERY different skis. If you just like the Yumi but don't love it, the unisex version Kanjo is just a bit stiffer wth a touch more pop. Stiffer yet is the Kenja/Kendo pair up.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You mean Stöckli Stormriders. DPS skis are also a bit pricey but depends on which version. Difference is that it's quite possible to find used DPS skis. At least the consignment stores in the SLC area always have a few pairs.

I like DPS skis. Always tempting to get a pair of the demo skis from Alta Ski Shop. They pro-rate the price based on how often a pair of skis has been used. Rarely have many DPS demo skis left by mid-March.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Black Pearl is actually a softer ski than the Yumi (at last per my H's hand test when I demoed both), but you may not like the Yumi unless you're a smaller skier at your skill level. It seems more advanced skiers on here who aren't tiny like me don't seem to care for it all that much. They don't feel it's enough ski for them. For reference I'm 5'1" and 105 lbs. right now.

ETA: Most of the Yumi's pop and energy is in its tail. Probably the thing that makes it feel stiffer than the Black Pearl since the BP is rockered in the tail. Although, I haven't checked out the newer Black Pearl or Yumi so take all this for what it's worth.
Based on short demo runs with the 2028 BP78, BP88, and the 2018 Yumi, I agree that the Yumi has more energy. The BP78 feels stiffer, but it's narrower so I suppose that's part of the reason. Haven't compared the turn radius for these models. I'm 5'0", 112 lbs.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I would put them on your demo list but would not recommend for east coast skiing particularly. I skied them for a week in Kitzbuehl last year on really varying conditions and thought they were great so purchased when I got back. That being said, I also skied the Great Joy the second week in Portes du Soleil which you did not like! Skied some hard packed pistes and chopped up ungroomed areas and both skis were really fun. The Black Crows do not have the super wide shovel that the Great Joys had. My Black Crows are 156 and 120-96-110 with a TR 18. The other sizes are 97 waist - thought mine was until I looked!.
It's great to get recommendations but I would agree to demo.

I definitely pay attention to reviews but we have threads here on "most hyped ski you hated" or "least hyped ski you loved"..... so you never know

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Demo Day is tomorrow! during a pow day who woulda thunk it. well i want an all mountain ski so i guess this works out. here's the short list, there are more to be added... i'm inquiring to see who else will be represented...

• Atomic
  • Dynastar
  • Fischer
  • Head
  • Line
  • K-2
  • Nordica
  • Rossignol
  • Salomon
Based on what's available, i'll try the
Nordica Santa Ana,
Dynastar Legend w88,
Rossignol Sassy

none of the other brands are listed here so i can't try them...

i'll also try 3 snowboards if i can :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna