• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: help me figure out which skis to demo?!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fischer My Pro Mtn 86
Rossignol Experience 84/88
K2 I-can't-remember-the-name but K2's newest line up is REALLY nice!
Head Total Joy
Nordica--Santa Ana 93 vs 100 are VERY different skis, with the 100s being quite a lot of ski to maneuver, I think.
Bummer that Blizzard won't be there! I also got out on the BP 98s last Friday, and I LOVED them! And the Sheeva 9 is even better, IMO.

Have fun! Demoing is fun and can also be intimidating. I've gotten out on skis that either kick my ass a little, or I just do NOT like, and getting to the bottom can be a real adventure!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the point where I chime in and say "Volkl RTM 84!"
It rips, and it's wide enough for variable eastern conditions.

But I'm 5'8" 170 and tend to end up on men's skis. And I haven't tried all that many. But I thin the RTM 84 is worth a ride.
Also, if the Yumi seems underpowered to you , try the Kanjo.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Don't ignore the Rossi Temptation 84. I've just spent six days on this at Sun Peaks B.C. Loved it. (Had the 88s and like this more. ) I'm away now and will write more when I'm home. But try this ski.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
. I like DPS skis. Always tempting to get a pair of the demo skis from Alta Ski Shop. They pro-rate the price based on how often a pair of skis has been used. Rarely have many DPS demo skis left by mid-March.

@marzNC , if you have any experience on the DPS Uschi 85,I would love to hear it!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Demo Day is tomorrow! during a pow day who woulda thunk it. well i want an all mountain ski so i guess this works out. here's the short list, there are more to be added... i'm inquiring to see who else will be represented...

• Atomic
  • Dynastar
  • Fischer
  • Head
  • Line
  • K-2
  • Nordica
  • Rossignol
  • Salomon
Based on what's available, i'll try the
Nordica Santa Ana,
Dynastar Legend w88,
Rossignol Sassy

none of the other brands are listed here so i can't try them...

i'll also try 3 snowboards if i can :smile:
Likely too late for today, but:

Atomic Vantage 90 cti w
Atomic Vantage 95
K2 Fulluvit 95 (not sure why this fell off?)

Definitely Nordica Santa Ana 93!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC , if you have any experience on the DPS Uschi 85,I would love to hear it!
I've demo'd the Uschi a couple times, but it's been a few years. So not sure my experience is relevant. I took it out for one run during the April demo day at Alta in 2014 and 2015. Those were seasons where I was also skiing in the northeast, as well as having semi-private lessons with Level 3 instructors at Alta. So I was just starting to really work on my technique.

In April 2014, I thought the Uschi was fun on the groomers. But in 2015, there was a snowstorm after the usual Saturday demo day and a few brands decided to set up demo tents without any announcement. That day I didn't like the Uschi on the groomers. Could've been a bad tune I suppose or perhaps too long because the shortest available was 158cm. Although my BPs (2011) and Stormriders are 159cm and about the same width underfoot. (Petite, older, advanced)

I ski the wider DPS models in mid-160 lengths but of course those have tip rocker for powder and ungroomed snow in general. My go-to rental for Alta lessons and fresh powder <8 inches is the DPS Nina 99 @158. The new Nina A99 with Alchemist materials is even more fun than the Hybrid was.

For comparison, I like the 2018 the BP88 @145 and @152 on groomers and off-piste. Also have enjoyed demo runs on Rossi Temptation 84, Temptation 88, Dynastar Glory 88, Atomic Vantage 90W, K2 Oolaluv, K2 Fulluvit, and this season the Volkl Yumi @147 (groomers and bumps). Still quite happy with my Absolut Joys @148. Skied them out west for the first time a few weeks ago at Taos since the open terrain was mostly groomers until it started snowing.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing more relevant than what a bad tune can do for the demo experience. I'm really starting to learn to discern a bad tune, but what's unfortunate is you'll never really know what the ski is capable of unless you can get out on another one. Heck, my BF tuned my BPs recently to change the side bevel and I HATED it! I didn't want to ski them. He fixed them last night, so we'll see if they become my favs again.

I took out the new Experience 88W twice in two weeks, and the first seemed a bad tune (base high??) as they were like two squirrels on crack on my feet. Took them out a week later at a different demo, and they felt better, but I think the length was just too much. The shape and construction of that ski says I should LOVE it. I'm hoping to get out on a shorter pair at some point.

Moral of story: tunes matter! But it's hard to know if it's the tune or the ski sometimes!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh! Forgot to add the Line Pandora 94 to the list - especially if you're on the featherweight side. Super stable and great float for a sub-100 ski. I've been skiing the 95 this year and I love it, but it gets a little tip deflection in heavy crud that the new model is supposed to help with.

I'd also add the Sky over the Sassy if you're worried about skis being too intermediate. A lot of my mom-friends put their pre-teens on the Smash & Sassy lines since they're wider than most kids' skis, but less work to flex.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
But it's hard to know if it's the tune or the ski sometimes!
When I arranged to demo the BP88 at Taos, I asked if they would check the edges and put a fresh coat of wax on them. Was told that edges had many "rough" spots and yes they needed wax. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Also, a lot depends on the skier (are you tired the day of demo), the conditions, etc etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nothing more relevant than what a bad tune can do for the demo experience. I'm really starting to learn to discern a bad tune, but what's unfortunate is you'll never really know what the ski is capable of unless you can get out on another one.
Yep. The first time I demo'd skis that clearly had a bad tune was at Alta on powder skis from an indie brand during a free demo day with many tents. The woman who returned them just before I took them out said something about them not turning but I didn't really understand what that could mean. When I tried to turn on the wide groomer (Mambo off Collins), they wouldn't turn. I'd been demo'ing all morning on the same run so it was confusing. After that run, I took out my own skis for a run just to confirm that it was the indie skis, and that I still knew how to ski. It was that bad.

When I returned those skis, the rep grunted and said perhaps that pair really did have a bad tune as the other woman had said. :rolleyes:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
so we ended up having a power outage at hunter and demo day was canceled as a result. they won't be rescheduling. :(

i detailed my powder days in the catskill 2017-2018 thread if it interests you!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Surprised the Wild Joys or Great Joys haven't come up - definitely in the same realm of directional skis that are still & carve-y

i did try some of the Joys last season and while they are a nice ski, they are too carve-y for me. i need something that is more playful/fun but also rips.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Don't ignore the Rossi Temptation 84. I've just spent six days on this at Sun Peaks B.C. Loved it. (Had the 88s and like this more. ) I'm away now and will write more when I'm home. But try this ski.
thank you. if they come back i will. but i'm hearing it won't happen this year. if anyone knows of a demo day in the NE i am interested!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I just found out they have rescheduled demo day for this Saturday 3/10

Oh! Forgot to add the Line Pandora 94 to the list - especially if you're on the featherweight side. Super stable and great float for a sub-100 ski. I've been skiing the 95 this year and I love it, but it gets a little tip deflection in heavy crud that the new model is supposed to help with.

I'd also add the Sky over the Sassy if you're worried about skis being too intermediate. A lot of my mom-friends put their pre-teens on the Smash & Sassy lines since they're wider than most kids' skis, but less work to flex.

I’ll be sure to do this!!! Thanks

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Ok! I tried
2018-2019
1. Nordica Santa Ana 100
2. Nordica Santa Ana 93
3. Rossi Sky (probably a 90-95)
4. Rossi experience (88)
5. Head Kore (my instructor recommended it)
6. Dynastar Legend 96
7. Line Pandora 84
8. K2 alluvit (88 with a 96 shovel?)

Then I tried the 2. and 3. skis again because I was blown away by K2 alluvit and couldn’t decide.

In order I liked Nordica Santa Ana 93, Rossi Sky, and K2 Alluvit the most.

I felt I was on rollerblades with the Line Pandora. They didn’t have a wider one for me. Oh well. Head Kore was nice but too carvy still. Dynastar legend was great and is very similar to my ski now. I think my ski is the 89 version with a roxy name on it from 9 years ago.

Rossi experience was good but not as good as the atomic vantages 95 IMO.

The nordica Santa Ana 100 was much to wide for how I ski and the terrain I ski. The 93s blew me away.

The Sky was playful and responsive. Great in powder, so so fun. The Alluvit is super lively and rips. Super fun. The Santa Ana is like the Alluvit but more predictable than the Alluvit and it rips/cuts thru everything including crud and I’m told holds an edge on ice. It’s really a toss up between the three. For the kind of skiing I’m doing, the Santa Ana 93 is the ticket. Everyone was buzzing how they changed the 93 skis for the enforcers and Santa Ana’s this coming year. I didn’t know that til after I just tried what was available. Also that K2 is doing very different stuff this year. Maybe next year I’ll pick up an Alluvit

Thanks everyone for helping me find my ski!

Last edited:

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok! I tried
2018-2019
1. Nordica Santa Ana 100
2. Nordica Santa Ana 93
3. Rossi Sky (probably a 90-95)
4. Rossi experience (88)
5. Head Kore (my instructor recommended it)
6. Dynastar Legend 96
7. Line Pandora 84
8. K2 alluvit (88 with a 96 shovel?)

Then I tried the 2. and 3. skis again because I was blown away by K2 alluvit and couldn’t decide.

In order I liked Nordica Santa Ana 93, Rossi Sky, and K2 Alluvit the most.

I felt I was on rollerblades with the Line Pandora. They didn’t have a wider one for me. Oh well. Head Kore was nice but too carvy still. Dynastar legend was great and is very similar to my ski now. I think my ski is the 89 version with a roxy name on it from 9 years ago.

Rossi experience was good but not as good as the atomic vantages 95 IMO.

The nordica Santa Ana 100 was much to wide for how I ski and the terrain I ski. The 93s blew me away.

The Sky was playful and responsive. Great in powder, so so fun. The Alluvit is super lively and rips. Super fun. The Santa Ana is like the Alluvit but more predictable than the Alluvit and it rips/cuts thru everything including crud and I’m told holds an edge on ice. It’s really a toss up between the three. For the kind of skiing I’m doing, the Santa Ana 93 is the ticket. Everyone was buzzing how they changed the 93 skis for the enforcers and Santa Ana’s this coming year. I didn’t know that til after I just tried what was available. Also that K2 is doing very different stuff this year. Maybe next year I’ll pick up an Alluvit

Thanks everyone for helping me find my ski!
So the Santa Ana’s/ Enforcers are changing for 2018/2019? Those are the ones you tried ?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Yes I tried next years skis, there was talk that the 93 width was something to check out for this year. According to reviews they’re similar to last years so I can’t tell if anything has actually changed?

I was really happy trying the different skis. I totally would have loved to try elan rip sticks and the rest on my list, but only the vendors that are sold at the ski shop at Hunter came. And not all of them came either...! We were missing salomon and Fischer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna