• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help - another side of calf/boot pain issue

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, if you can find a product page for the skis, it might mention whether it's ramped or not. You never know--sometimes even old product info is cached somewhere.

For instance, I recently found a discussion of my 1987-era Fisher Europa Crown telemark skis, which is how I know they had a 55mm waist. They were double-cambered with fish scales in the pocket and challenging on the slopes compared with modern gear, but at 200 or so cm, their arc length was probably about 8 feet!

B

B.E.G.

Hmm...this is the binding... https://www.rossignol.com/US/US/freeski-110-xl-black_RC9A031_product_ski-men-bindings.html

From skis.com:

The Rossignol Freeski 110 comes with a 100mm brake and is perfect for fat skis. The binding features the high end Dual Action toe piece which releases 180 degrees. The Dual action toe has four points of contact on the boot for maximum power transmission. The toe piece also features high elastic travel for vertical and lateral movements to help eliminate inadvertent release and offers shock absorption. The heel provides a easy step-in design and the long lever arms make exiting the binding an effortless motion. The angled lateral arms apply greater pressure to the edge of the ski creating more power directly from the skier to the ski. The heel piece also has 25mm of elastic travel in the heel, the longest travel of any binding on the market, preventing unwanted pre-releasing so that your ski will stay on when you want it to. The 110 Binding is a great choice to fill your wide binding needs, at a great price.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One way to find out if your bindings have lift is to take another picture of you in the same position as the one above and then compare the pictures. If your bindings have any lift, then I would think that you would be more forward.

B

B.E.G.

Frenchgirl, I'll do that tonight. I keep recruiting my dad to take these pictures - I'm like, I NEED them to help my SKIING! :laugh:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oooh I have those bindings too! Let me know what you find out B.E.G (as clearly I'm too lazy to do it myself :becky:)

All of this is a bit of a revelation!

Must get my boots on and crouch down...

B

B.E.G.

Liquid Yellow, I love those bindings because they are so light! (Which is the whole reason we went with them :laugh:)

Ok, I'm totally curious about this but I'm going to have to wait until I get home from yoga/zumba to do this, since my skis are in my car and my boots and camera are at home.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One way to find out if your bindings have lift is to take another picture of you in the same position as the one above and then compare the pictures. If your bindings have any lift, then I would think that you would be more forward.

That's not going to work unless you figure out a way to factor in the camber of your skis. And I'm no engineer so I can't figure one out for you!!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Liquid Yellow, I love those bindings because they are so light! (Which is the whole reason we went with them :laugh:)

Indeed (and in my case, also because the next ones up were a lot pricier!)

My skis are still pretty heavy though.

I think all this is getting a bit technical for me, I'll just see how my new boots work with the skis, find out if anything hurts/aches - then see where I go from there...

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Frenchgirl, which bindings do you have?

All of the skis I have in my house have integrated bindings.

Atomic Cloud 9: Marker Tix, has probably a 2mm lift

Dynastar Exclusive Legend: dynastar Exclusive Legend Fluid bindings same as the Look/Nova (red/white) bindings with lifter has a 6mm lift

Volkl Luna: Marker bindings(not sure of the model), bio-logic series. It has a zero ramp angle. Actually what they did is they added a toe lift to compensate for the heel lift I think.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The system bindings on my Tierras have a toe-lift built in (part of the "bio-logic" thing). They say it promotes a more natural stance. I can't say I disagree, but I also can't begin to tell you how much confusion that has sown when my instructors are analyzing my stance. Especially since I'm tall and have long legs.

B

B.E.G.

That's good to know Frenchgirl & Serafina. I knew Volkl had the Biologic system and integrated bindings for their frontside skis. I have no idea if this plays into this at all, but I didn't really gel with either the Luna or Estrella. You would think if they have a toe lift built in and my stance is too far forward...? BUT then again, there are way too many variables - it was a while ago that I demoed though, and before my boots were softened up, and statistically it's too small a sample (WISH I had tried the Sol). But I wonder.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I threw some heel lifts in my boots tonight. Did the tuck test, felt sooo much better with the lifts. Felt very different standing in my boots because I've skied all season without them. I'm not fully committed to having them back permanently yet so they're just duct taped, but I'll give them a test drive tomorrow......

B

B.E.G.

Just to let you guys know - the Rossi bindings I have ARE ramped. I talked to my ski guy today about it. I don't know for sure how much though.

And I do have heel lifts in my boots already. Hmm...

B

B.E.G.

Isn't it weird? Talking about all this seems totally normal on Ski Diva but when IRL I am officially in Ski Crazy Country (according to well, everyone). Even my ski guys says I'm way more technical than most skiers he'll ever see - but it's all normal here!

Now I wonder if I'm over-ramped? Between the heel lift, the binding ramp and softer flex boot. Hmm...

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't it weird? Talking about all this seems totally normal on Ski Diva but when IRL I am officially in Ski Crazy Country (according to well, everyone). Even my ski guys says I'm way more technical than most skiers he'll ever see - but it's all normal here!

Now I wonder if I'm over-ramped? Between the heel lift, the binding ramp and softer flex boot. Hmm...

Do you know why you have a heel lift?

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I try to tone down the tech talk when I start dealing with a real pro, though I always make sure to add the disclaimer that I want them to tell me what they think and that I really want their advice. They seem to appreciate that, and so long as I don't start yammering away they appear to enjoy dealing with someone who understands some technical lingo.

But some gear experts are like introverted engineers and hate talking, although so far I've run into two bootfitters who sometimes stare deep into my eyes when explaining stuff. Maybe they think they're snake-charmers, although I'm far older and more beat up than either one!

B

B.E.G.

Do you know why you have a heel lift?

My boots are actually a little too big still (they're a 21) and I was feeling a lot of up and down heel movement in the beginning. Plus I don't think I was forward enough initially (this was before we softened the boots) so heel lifts went in. I'm not sure if I still need them. My ski guy did see me ski and said I'm fine in terms of stance right now so I don't know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna