• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help - another side of calf/boot pain issue

Jenny

Angel Diva
Me too, I'm 5'11 and look ridiculous with my leg:torso ratio. I'm all leg. And while some may say that's good genes, I say it's impossible (read completely impractical) for sports. And seeing as I'm an athlete and not a super model, it's a hurdle.

I didn't put heel lifts in my latest pair of boots, but I did see myself ski on video last week and that, combined with this thread have reminded me to see to that!!

I look like that 2nd picture too, only worse (and less male, obviously....) :becky:.

But aren't long legs good for hurdles??

B

B.E.G.

Toe lifts?

IMG_0965.jpg

Jeepmum

Certified Ski Diva<br>CSIA Level 1<br>
So sorry to go off topic here but what on EARTH is that animal in the picture? Is it a cat? An armadillo??

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Toe lifts?

IMG_0965.jpg

Aha, there's the image to complete the set!! Toe lifts. Give them a try. You'll be able to tell how much lift you need by adding 1mm at a time until you are aligned with the shoulders over the knees in the squat test.

Jeepmum

Certified Ski Diva<br>CSIA Level 1<br>
Oh they're gorgeous! Something with the shadow in the picture made it's tail not look like a cat tail, and with those unique markings...

B

B.E.G.

Hmm interesting! I would never have thought of toe lifts on my own. So can you tell me, what exactly would the toe lifts do? Do I have too much forward lean then, evidenced by my knees being behind my armpits? Is it a result of softer flex? (since I just had my boots softened) or something else?

Thanks!

B

B.E.G.

Oh they're gorgeous! Something with the shadow in the picture made it's tail not look like a cat tail, and with those unique markings...

LOL you're right! I didn't notice the shadow before - my cat looks deformed in that pic :laugh:

And thank you!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm interesting! I would never have thought of toe lifts on my own. So can you tell me, what exactly would the toe lifts do? Do I have too much forward lean then, evidenced by my knees being behind my armpits? Is it a result of softer flex? (since I just had my boots softened) or something else?

Thanks!

The toe lifts would align you better so it will be easier to get centred in the fore/aft plane. Yes, according to Ron LeMaster, you have too much forward lean for your build.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well at least I've got one proportion right--my armpits are just a hair behind my knees. When I take 'the position', that is.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shouldn't this exercice be done on the ski? Since a lot of women's skis have a heel lift in the bindings wouldn't that change the outcome? :noidea:

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shouldn't this exercice be done on the ski? Since a lot of women's skis have a heel lift in the bindings wouldn't that change the outcome? :noidea:

Skis are not flat, so no. It's principally a biomechanical thing. Ron didn't touch on binding ramp angles but I'm sure that would also be something to factor in. B.E.G. may need a bigger toe lift if she has ramped bindings. But I won't give an opinion on that because I don't know much about the technology and reasoning behind ramped bindings.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread, frenchgirl. Also interesting that even Masterfit bootfitters have different kinds of training. One remark in particular stood out--the idea that if something is misaligned, the effect on balance & position may be different at different angles of flexion in a joint. I never thought of that, but it makes sense. I'm really interested in how the body works, so all this is just fascinatin'.

B

B.E.G.

I don't think my bindings are ramped? They're the Rossi Freeski 110 XL I believe.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just skimmed that epic thread. Looks like some good information. This is particularly relevant to me right now as I have a back injury that I believe is a direct result of compensating for lack of fore/aft alignment. I was lazy with this pair of boots and didn't add lifts. To compensate, I had to exaggerate a rounded back and bend at the waist a lot to centre myself over my ridiculous legs. I'm paying for it now :(

B.E.G. I don't know anything about Rossi bindings so you'll have to confirm ramp angle with a pro.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna