• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Heated ski boots (heated with lithium ion batteries) and TSA

anasky

Diva in Training
So I just found my most comfy ski boots ever and of course I opted with heated liners, but what happens with TSA when they see those boots with 2 batteries each and the whole wiring stuff. Now I have tried to contact TSA to get an answer but all they send you is a brochure to read. It says that rechargeable lithium ion batteries under 100Wh are admitted in checked and carry on, and to leave them where they are in the devices (laptop ect), however the connector should be taped to avoid accidental contact.
Now those boots are not really a technical device and imagine TSA looking at wires and those batteries attached it will be probably a nightmare. So has anyone had any experiences with this? And/or should I rather take those batteries and put them in a separate plastic pouch with connectors taped? I think that sounds more reasonable and if questioned I can explain and show them a print out from the company. Or should I just leave them at home to not lose them to TSA?
Any help is appreciated.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So I just found my most comfy ski boots ever and of course I opted with heated liners, but what happens with TSA when they see those boots with 2 batteries each and the whole wiring stuff. Now I have tried to contact TSA to get an answer but all they send you is a brochure to read. It says that rechargeable lithium ion batteries under 100Wh are admitted in checked and carry on, and to leave them where they are in the devices (laptop ect), however the connector should be taped to avoid accidental contact.
Now those boots are not really a technical device and imagine TSA looking at wires and those batteries attached it will be probably a nightmare. So has anyone had any experiences with this? And/or should I rather take those batteries and put them in a separate plastic pouch with connectors taped? I think that sounds more reasonable and if questioned I can explain and show them a print out from the company. Or should I just leave them at home to not lose them to TSA?
Any help is appreciated.
@marzNC has told me that she flies with hers all the time, so maybe she'll chime in.

Jilly

Staff member
Batteries should not be attached to the boots. Put them in a separate pocket somewhere. And they say to tape the area where the wire attaches too.

I've flown many times with mine, with and without the batteries too. No issues yet.

anasky

Diva in Training
That's really good news, I will put them in a zip lock with connectors taped. I am so glad I asked you guys, feeling so much better now. Thank you all very much

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC has told me that she flies with hers all the time, so maybe she'll chime in.
I don't have boot heaters. I always fly with my boots as carry-on on the way to start a ski trip. Sometimes I check the boot bag with the boots on the way home. I have a "boot suitcase" that looks like a carry-on size suitcase. I used my Transpack Sidekick without boots as a helmet carrier and backpack when flying. It fits under the seat with the helmet, after taking the helmet off when I reach my seat.

The lithium ion batteries I have are in Hestra heated glove liners (Thanks @lisamamot ). They ended up packed in my suitcase on the way out for the recent flight to Denver. I put them in my carry-on backpack for the return flight. The wires can be easily disconnected, which is what I do after a ski day to make sure they aren't on accidentally since it drains the batteries.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I don't have boot heaters. I always fly with my boots as carry-on on the way to start a ski trip. Sometimes I check the boot bag with the boots on the way home. I have a "boot suitcase" that looks like a carry-on size suitcase. I used my Transpack Sidekick without boots as a helmet carrier and backpack when flying. It fits under the seat with the helmet, after taking the helmet off when I reach my seat.

The lithium ion batteries I have are in Hestra heated glove liners (Thanks @lisamamot ). They ended up packed in my suitcase on the way out for the recent flight to Denver. I put them in my carry-on backpack for the return flight. The wires can be easily disconnected, which is what I do after a ski day to make sure they aren't on accidentally since it drains the batteries.
Oops - my bad. I thought you told me you had a set of portable boot heaters you carried when flying. :crazy:

anasky

Diva in Training
well, I will let you know how it goes. Have a tough time with the helmet, does not fit anywhere, its time they come up with a foldable helmet. And all this paying for bags thing and measuring if it fits requirements, pain in the butt , I just want to put everything in a big suitcase and be done. Flying non stop to Denver, how could they lose my stuff?

MissySki

Angel Diva
well, I will let you know how it goes. Have a tough time with the helmet, does not fit anywhere, its time they come up with a foldable helmet. And all this paying for bags thing and measuring if it fits requirements, pain in the butt , I just want to put everything in a big suitcase and be done. Flying non stop to Denver, how could they lose my stuff?

I always just clip my helmet to my carryon or purse strap to board and then stick it under the seat in front of me with my purse for the flight. I’ve never had an issue yet, don’t overthink it.

Sometimes one flies direct and their skis or larger checked bags don’t make it onto the plane. Ask me how I know? Lol

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
And all this paying for bags thing and measuring if it fits requirements, pain in the butt , I just want to put everything in a big suitcase and be done.
Southwest doesn't charge for up to 2 checked items, and you get 2 carry-ons. Here's how I pack every yr for my Taos trip: Checked - 30" suitcase, where I put clothes and my ski boots. Skis in ski bag. Carry-on: boot bag with helmet inside, and most of my ski clothes in the helmet and bag (mittens, goggles, balaclava, base layers, socks, etc), and my laptop. This fits under the seat, (and I've never been asked to measure a bag on SWA -- been flying SWA since they started out). I don't carry a purse, but that would be my 2nd carry-on.

So switch to Southwest if you can -- that will alleviate a lot of the flying hassles. :wink:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Southwest doesn't charge for up to 2 checked items, and you get 2 carry-ons. Here's how I pack every yr for my Taos trip: Checked - 30" suitcase, where I put clothes and my ski boots. Skis in ski bag. Carry-on: boot bag with helmet inside, and most of my ski clothes in the helmet and bag (mittens, goggles, balaclava, base layers, socks, etc), and my laptop. This fits under the seat, (and I've never been asked to measure a bag on SWA -- been flying SWA since they started out). I don't carry a purse, but that would be my 2nd carry-on.

So switch to Southwest if you can -- that will alleviate a lot of the flying hassles. :wink:

Eek, I would never check my boots though. I’ve had skis and/or my checked suitcase not make it to the destination on 2 trips west and once coming back home as well. I’m so nervous every time I head to baggage claims now lol. My boots come onto the plane with me no matter what. I’ve stuck them in a wheeled carryon, in a backpack carryon, over my shoulder, etc. but they don’t get checked. Granted the issues have been on trips where Southwest doesn’t fly, but I just wouldn’t risk it. Unless you have super “normal” feet and having to rent boots wouldn’t wreck your trip.. my feet are definitely not like that.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Good point; I guess I've been lucky with SWA. I think I've only ever had SWA lose my bag once or twice, in over 30 yrs, and they always delivered it to my door the next day. But I could put my boots in the carry-on boot bag, too, and put the other stuff into the checked bag. Either way, the bags are free, unless you go over 40#.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lucky you! I can't fly non-stop from RDU to any airport near skiing in the Rockies. Although I've flown on other airlines a few times for a ski trip, in the past decade I stick with Southwest. Getting 2 free checked bags is one reason. But I also really like how Southwest operates. I know some people don't like the boarding process because they want to know what seat they are getting beforehand, but it works well for me.

I invested in two items when I started flying more to ski about a dozen years ago. Then added a third. The first was a Sportube 2 that can hold 2 pairs of skis, or 1 pair of skis and other bulky stuff like snow boots or a small backpack. My first few trips out west starting in 2008 were with my daughter, so we brought two pairs of skis. Usually I only bring one pair. The second was a Transpack Sidekick. Then I found a rolling boot "suitcase," also made by Transpack at my local ski shop (North Carolina). It's designed to hold ski boots in place in one half, and the other half also has a zip cover to keep things in place. The Sidekick fits under a seat together with the helmet loose. I carry on the Sidekick and the boot suitcase on the way out. Sometimes I'll check the boot suitcase on the way home since it's heavier than my other small suitcase. But my boots are old enough that I don't worry about them as much. Never had an airline lose a check bag forever in decades of travel. But I want to have everything I need for a day or two of skiing to start a ski trip when I arrive at my destination . . . without renting boots.

The size of the other suitcase varies depending on the type of trip, but it's always a carry-on size.

From a trip in 2016: Sportube 2, Sidekick (helmet, goggles, not boots), black boot suitcase (boots, base layers, ski pants, etc.), small suitcase (regular clothing).

Transpack red red 2016.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna