• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Health Update from Ski Now -- Great News!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL!
YEAH! :cheer:
You are on the mend! I love all the tubes. If you are groggy...they can really be fun to figure out which one goes where! (this is how the Brain Injured entertain themselves in the hospital....speaking as one!) :ROTF:

Oooo....prolly shouldn't make you laugh too hard!
Take care of that bladder! Cathaters are great at sporting events and bars, though! No lines! :D

Hang in there...and chin up!
HUGE hugs!
K
Always looking on the bright side. :D

Update . . . started feeling very hot and achy later this afternoon. Am now running a fever. Called my surgeon and he's called in a prescription for me and DH is going to pick it up. Hoping whatever this post-op infection is will get under control quickly as I am very uncomfortable. Thought it was more hot flashes but no, it's a fever....

:mad:
Take care of yourself. I'm glad to hear you're okay, but go easy. No need to rush recovery. Feel better!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Awake after about 7 hours of sleep. No fever, padding around my house easier, ate some Jello, on the mend! :smile:
Small steps, friend----how nice to hear this! Settle in with a good book or movie and pamper yourself. I'll take a run in your honor today :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ The "small steps" line being one of my favorite--from the movie "Contact."

Morning all.

:injured:

I'm feeling really wiped out still. I've been running a low grade temp which I guess is not atypical, especially for me who is "Miss Sensitive" when it comes to my body, so I don't have a lot of energy. Just took a shower and DH has gone to work, so I have a whole day ahead of me. It's really pretty out and I plan to bundle up and spend some time out in my backyard which is totally wooded and private, good thing since I'm still carrying that darn catheter bag :doh: .

However, I am ticked pink to see my old figure back. Honestly I've lost like 2 sizes around my middle and since the rest of me was in pretty good shape, I feel like I'm greeting an old friend in the mirror. I think I've been carrying this fibroid in some size and fashion for at least 2 years, and the last year it was huge, and then the last few months it was unbearable as it decomposed from the Lupron.

It's been great hearing from you Divas and being able to check in on the boards during the day -- helps keep the lonely feelings away.

:love:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL,
Glad to hear how much better you are. Sounds like the lack of energy is part of the process of healing but you are so much better off at this stage! Really happy to hear it!

Jilly

Staff member
Take your time. The doc's were in there poking and proding. So you're going to take awhile to start feeling better. At least psyh wise you're feeling better. I hate mirrors right now!!

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL, just rest and take care of yourself. Don't do ANYTHING!! I'm happy to read all is going well for you. Just relax and rest.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The back yard sounds like the perfect place for you to be. I hope you're feeling well enough to enjoy the time out of the daily grind. Rest up to heal up!

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However, I am ticked pink to see my old figure back. Honestly I've lost like 2 sizes around my middle and since the rest of me was in pretty good shape, I feel like I'm greeting an old friend in the mirror. I think I've been carrying this fibroid in some size and fashion for at least 2 years, and the last year it was huge, and then the last few months it was unbearable as it decomposed from the Lupron.

It's been great hearing from you Divas and being able to check in on the boards during the day -- helps keep the lonely feelings away.

:love:

Hey, glad to read that everything went well and that you're improving daily! I'm sure seeing that smaller waistline helps, too. Take it easy and enjoy your down time.

And Kelly, love your description of the "up side" of catheters.
Leave it to NVG to find something positive about having a bunch of tubes coming out of your body. :love: :becky:

Well, I actually decided that after 3 days of bed rest, it might help if I were more active, so I've been up all morning doing organizing projects (switching my seasonal clothes, doing a little bit of laundry, organizing photographs to get back to scrapbooking, that sort of thing). I even walked down to the mailbox to get the mail and it's spring out there! I'm moving slowly but feel stronger in my core and can hold my abs in a little better.

I certainly don't feel any worse, and I think I'm feeling a little better. This afternoon I'll return to the couch and relaxing, and tomorrow I'm going to change my cath bag to the one that can be strapped to my leg and concealed and take a nice walk -- it's supposed to be very mild here. We still have some piles of snow in our yard, but the coming season can't be denied!

Make no mistake, this is a profound operation from a physiological and emotional standpoint. Because my cervix was left intact, they essentially burned the end to seal it, so my body has experienced a lot of trauma. I plan to keep my expectations of myself very reasonable for this whole month of April and to check in with myself before I take care of someone else's needs before mine. Who knows? Maybe it'll turn into a habit? :thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
check in with myself before I take care of someone else's needs before mine. Who knows? Maybe it'll turn into a habit?

I think that's the best idea yet. Couch is good too!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SO glad to hear that you're up and about and taking on little projects - now THAT is a good sign :smile: -- hope you're able to take a walk. The air feels and smells like spring in New England! Even here!

Update . . .

Today I used my smaller catheter bag that straps to my leg, put on real clothes, and went out into the world a little bit (DH drove me to a hair appt. and to the drugstore). Made dinner for my DH and kids too. Jeez, I'm whooped! Next week it's back to work and I'm gonna have to take it much slower than usual. I'm finishing up that trial Wednesday morning and am going to ask my client to wheel my trial box over to the Courthouse while I just walk. I'm glad it's only a couple of blocks away from my office.

Tomorrow am I am freed of this catheter -- my in house doctor (DH) is scheduled to remove it at 6 a.m. and I can hardly wait. Anyone who has had to come home from a surgery or procedure with one of these and use it for a week has my deepest sympathies.

Meanwhile I stopped taking the Premarin a week ago to counteract the menopause symptoms caused by the Lupron and now those symptoms are returning -- hot flashes (though much weaker), feeling sad, the works. I'm just going to let it ride without more hormone therapy to counteract it and hopefully by the end of this month my body will be free of all of the hormones and medicines that have invaded it for the past few months and the recent week.

Make no mistake, this is a big surgery, even with laparoscopic surgery. It will take me the full month to recover. Thanks for all of your good wishes and PMs and cards. It's really meant a lot to me! :smile:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay, you're soon to be catheter free! I know what you mean when you're recovering from something, and you do a few simple things and are just exhausted. It seems as though your progress has been fantastic, considering what you're body has just been through. Hope it's nothing but upward from here!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad you are doing well. Listen to your body and rest when it asks you to. I had similar surgery last Sept and it does take a lot out of you. Don't be tricked by the days when you feel awesome...you'll do too much! If you try to rush things the whole recovery will be longer. Take breaks when your body says you need them, especially when you return to work. You are likely expecting more of yourself than others around you; be sure to cut yourself the same slack you would give others in your situation. Continued success with your recovery. You'll be back to 100% soon!

OMG I'm free! The catheter was really, really hurting me jduring the past 72 hours and I'd pretty much stopped sleeping because of discomfort except for a few hours each night. Dr. SNWL took it out at 6 am today, I did a little jig, and I feel fabulous! Now I will enter the recovery phase of having to remind myself to take it easy, because except for some dull aching around the incision sites, I feel really, really great, kind of giddy in fact! And it no longer hurts to laugh so I plan to do a lot of laughing this weekend!

:laughter:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
YAY!!! You're free, you're free!!!!

Sounds like the tough stuff is behind you now. Glad to hear you're feeling so much better. Keep it up!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:yahoo: :clap:
Hope it's all clear sailing ahead!!!
The toughest aspects are all most definitely OVER!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna