• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Health Update from Ski Now -- Great News!

First I want to thank all of you that have posted on my previous threads about my medical conditions and to those of you who have PMd me about them. Now, the news.

First, the biopsies from the skin procedures that I endured 2 weeks ago revelealed that the sites tested benign, and the incisions have healed nicely, so I'm all set there.

Second, I met with the OB/GYN surgeon today for his diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Before he and I got into that, however, we talked about . . . what else? Skiing! I mentioned to the resident who conducted the initial interview that I wanted to hold off on any surgery until Spring because I'm a skier, and she must have told the doc because his first question to me was "where do you ski" with a broad grin on his face. He owns a place at Mt. Snow and 2 of his kids are on the race team there. That certainly got the meeting off to the right foot.

OK, back to my health. We talked about the condition, treatment options, and he conducted a manual exam and an internal ultrasound (think dildo with a headlamp if you'll pardon the image :becky: ). He confirmed that the fibroid is filling almost all of my uterus that is now the size of a 16 week pregnancy, and that the fibroid and uterus weigh just over a pound together. He confirmed that my bladder pressure is due to the uterus and not just my age, and he doesn't see a pattern of quick growth to the fibroid. He recommended the least invasive form of hysterectomy which will preserve my cervix and ovaries and just remove the uterus through the vaginal opening. It's called a Supracervical Laparascopic Vaginal Hysterectomy. They make three small inscisions, through which they see what's going on and insert instruments, detach the uterus, grind/chop it up, and pull it out. I'll stay overnight at the hospital 1 night and will rest for up to a week. He says I'll probably be at 60% after 1 week and regain 10% energy a week after that. I'll be able to return to work after a week.

And the best news of all is that he thinks it's fine for me to schedule the surgery for April after ski season is over! I'll see him in February and if the fibroid has grown, I'll go on Lupron (a hormone) which will cause menopausal symptoms but will shrink the fibroid so that everything's small enough for surgery. If there's been no significant growth, I'll have the surgery at my current size.

No more birth control, no more periods, and menopause will come in a few years on schedule without a surgical prompt. It's also a permanent solution to the issue and any potential fibroids that might grow in the future.

Really, it's about the best news I could have received. Tonight I'm going to the Warren Miller movie and tomorrow I'm driving to upstate NY to spend the day with my best friend since we were 12 who I haven't seen since April when we had lunch in NYC.

Thanks for listening! See you Divas out there on the slopes!

:yahoo:

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow , that is truly great news for you ! So glad to hear. Enjoy your weekend with the weight off your shoulders !

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Great, great news! And great you won't have to miss the season, too!

Enjoy the movie and seeing your friend. You deserve it!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is very good news!
There are a few things that come to mind from my personal experience.
1st
the bladder pressure. It is significant and will not get better until you have that sucker out! Be prepared for frequent bathroom breaks.

2nd
make sure you find comfy clothing if you're going to wait til April. You will find that your clothes will get more snug depending on the growth rate.

3rd
I'll see you at Stowe!!!! :yahoo:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL, You will not believe the strength and life this is sucking out of you until its gone!

You will be shocked at the amount of energy you have after this procedure!!!

Yes, the ski conditioning class I've been taking has been challenging at points. Jumping hurdles, doing slalom jumps, jumping on the Bosu ball, all of that creates a lot of bladder pressure! There are certain abdominal exercises that I can't do at all, but I'm able to do about 95% of the class and am in the best shape I've ever been in my life. If I feel this good now, I can only imagine how I'll feel after I've had that bowling ball of pressure removed! I just can't believe that I'm not only a candidate for the lower intervention procedure, but that it's ok to wait until April. Doesn't get any better than that.

This experience has really brought home to me how lucky I am to have access to first-rate medical care. There are too many people in the world who don't and who suffer unnecessarily. One day when the kids are grown, my husband wants to donate his time to help those in need in other countries and here in the US who don't have access to good medical care, and I'll be right along there with him as much as I can considering that I'm a squeamish wimp when it comes to blood and guts!

Thanks for your support Divas.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL,
Just saw your post. Congratulations. Glad it turned out the way that it did!!!!

Thanks again for all of your support Divas. I am tenatively scheduled for surgery on April 4, 2008. Today I learned that the surgery is not a vaghyst but a laparascopic procedure where they remove the uterus through a small incision in my abdomen (after grinding it up). Very wierd, but hey, I'll give it a try!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Really glad to hear this! I was the one who previously mentioned having had a vaghys many years ago. Either way you have it done, YOU ARE GOING TO FEEL ABOUT 1,000,000 TIMES BETTER :smile: I had a different problem, put off the final solution for about 3 years then threw in the towel. Freedom! Best decision I ever made, and I was skiing 5 weeks later. Hope you enjoy the ski season, especially knowing how much BETTER next season will be!!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck! I have a good friend who had the same procedure, and it went amazingly well. She was good to go SO quickly ....

:bump:

I had my pre-op appointment today. Although my surgery is 10 weeks (and a number of ski days) away on April 4, we scheduled the appointment early enough so the surgeon could determine if my uterus had grown large enough to require an intervention to shrink it pre-surgery. While no comparison was made to the size of my uterus in early November when he first examined me, Dr. Grow (yes, that really is his name) was concerned about how large my uterus is in terms of getting it out laparscopically, and wants it to shrink a bit before the procedure. Hence, I had a shot of Lupron today and will have another in a month's time. Lupron will essentially throw me into menopause any day now, complete with night sweats, hot flashes, and possible mood swings, dizziness, and nausea. Lovely. I was disappointed at first that I needed the shot, but am relieved that the risk is now gone of showing up on April 4 and being told I've grown too big and that I either need a full abdominal (as opposed to laparascopic) surgery or that I have to take Lupron for 2-4 months and return for the less invasive surgery. That and my insurance paid for it 100% (it's apparently a very expensive drug).

PLEASE no one tell me any horror stories about Lupron. I've read them all on line already, but if anyone has any upbeat news to share about it, share away!

Thanks Divas!:p

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL,
Glad to hear the good news about the insurance and the risk of more invasive surgery being eliminated. Can't comment on Lupron but have been exposed to enough drugs to know your reaction can be different from anyone else's (positive or negative).
As for menopause, I definitely have experience with night sweats and have had a few hot flashes (but never on a freezing cold slope). Luckily for me, it's been more annoying than anything else. Although I now search the web for bargains on wicking sleepwear!
I hope it all progresses smoothly!

Thanks Ski Spirit. I have begun to awaken early but would describe my body as clammy and uncomfortable, so I figure I'm on my way anyway. I just worry that the Lupron experience is going to be more of an express train than a meander into menopause....:fear:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear that everything sounds manageable, SkiNow. Hope the Lupron doesn't give you any trouble. Don't let the online comments get you down, it seems all drugs have a long list of complaints of side effects online. Think of it this way, people are a lot more likely to go online to a drug discussion site and rant about the troubles their having with it than they are to go to a drug discussion site and talk about how it was uneventful. So for all the complaints you see, who knows how many women had no issues? Hopefully you'll be one of those "no side effects" women.

I can't believe April 4th is only ten weeks away! And here I am barely feeling like the season's underway :eek:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The good news is that this is only temp. Thank goodness it IS winter - for you :smile: ! Do you know if you'll be doing HRT afterward ?(I've forgotten your age, it's that brain cell thing on my part :rolleyes: ) HRT will immediately take away those symptoms.

As I mentioned earlier, having gone through the laparascopic version, I can totally attest to its almost jaw-dropping ease of recovery. A couple of years ago, one of my college buds went through the same procedure (for fibroids), and she went back to work after THREE DAYS! You will have the teeny tiny laparascopic scars: one in navel to accommodate instrumentation, one just above pubic bone (2 more if ovaries are removed). This is defintely worth a couple of months of inconvenience versus the mandated recovery time for full abdominal.

My surgery was in mid-November (at age 43) - I had a regulation ski season and did a week in Utah (3 days at SOLITUDE, plus others) in March. Hang in there!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna