• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Health Update from Ski Now -- Great News!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL,
I will add my name to the long list of Divas sending you good vibes all day today (especially around 11AM PST!). Good luck; I know it will go well for you but please confirm when possible!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I had a similar procedure done in 2000 to remove a grapefruit-sized fibroid weighing 6 lbs. (I couldn't figure out where the weight gain was from!) and another one a year later when it came back. As long as the pain is managed, it's OK albeit a little awkward with the loss of the abs, etc. It took me 3 weeks to recover from the first procedure and 2 weeks to recover from the second. It was FAR better for me to deal with all that than the discomfort I'd had for months prior, because I knew an end was in sight.

SNL, we're thinking about you! Have some good books and good movies handy and just relax!

NannyMin

Banned
I just talked to SNWL's husband. He has not yet been able to see her, but she is in recovery and doing well. I'll let her fill you in on the details.

YEAH!!!!! :cheer:
Thanks Nanny! I was waiting to hear how it was going! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
NM, thanks so much for updating us. I've been thinking about her all day.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see an excess of energy in snwl's future!
Val, I'm thinking of you in your recovery.
Don't forget to breath :wink:

Hello friends. :smile:

I'm home now and feeling ok. The procedure was somewhat long -- took 3.5 hours. Anyone who doesn't like medical details, stop reading now!

The fibroid was quite large, grapefruit sized, as so my uterus was also very large for this type of procedure. I have 4 incisions, 2 smaller and 2 larger ones. The fibroid had embedded into my uterus so it was a chore to remove. I was lucky to have such a skilled surgeon as this large a uterus would typically involve a vertical incision with a loooong recovery. There was one mishap -- because both of my children were born by caesarean, my bladder had been removed from my uterus and reattached twice. There was a lot of scar tissue to cut through yesterday when they detached the bladder again, and so my bladder tore slightly. They stitched it up, filled it with gas to make sure it's not leaking, but I have to use a catheter for a week (as in pee-in-a-bag) until it can be removed. This is to prevent bladder fullness stretching the stiches before I'm fully healed.

I was very, very ill last night, either from the morphine or the anaethesia. I woke up every 1/2 hour and wretched my guts out -- and there wasn't much to toss, that's for sure. Each time I awoke from my sedated slumber, I would sift through the tangle of tubes (oxygen in my nose, iv in my left arm, catheter tube, and lower leg pressure cuffs to prevent blood clots) to find the basin. At one point all I could think of was that I was part of the Borg (think Star Trek: Next Generation). By 4 am, the nurses were able to switch to to a 3rd type of anti-nausea med that finally worked and by 5 am, I started to feel more like myself.

I'm not in too much pain, all considering. Am using Ibuprofen only and hope I don't need to upgrade to Vicodin as I don't wan to risk any more nausea. I have some throat discomfort from the tube used during surgery and some shoulder pain due to the CO2 gas used during the laparascopic procedure, but compared to the pain following my caesarean births when I had to care for an infant (and a 2 yr old after my younger daughter was born), this is easy. DH just went out to get me some comfort food and I am beginning to have a little appetite, and I'm in bed resting and plan to get some shut-eye soon.

Thanks for all your well wishes! The discharge nurse today is a hard core skier (skied 46 days this season) and I told her about the site, so I expect she'll check it out. She mostly skis Mt. Snow and Jay Peak and describes herself as a 90% tree skier, 10% groomer skier.

Thanks again for all of your caring. It means a lot to me. :humble:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you're okay, Ski Now! Sorry to hear about the complications, but hopefully the bladder will heal quickly and fully.

How long is your recovery looking like?

Laying low at home for a week, should be 60% by next weekend, then back to work and will regain strength 10% per week. Should be back to normal by the end of the month, very do-able.

Num, you're surgery is early May, right? May 2? I might be coming to Chicago June 6-8 to celebrate my oldest daughter's 21st bday. Do you think you'll be up and about by then? I'd love to meet you.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, May 2nd. I should definitely be up for an early June meetup. Just let me know!

SNWL!
YEAH! :cheer:
You are on the mend! I love all the tubes. If you are groggy...they can really be fun to figure out which one goes where! (this is how the Brain Injured entertain themselves in the hospital....speaking as one!) :ROTF:

Oooo....prolly shouldn't make you laugh too hard!
Take care of that bladder! Cathaters are great at sporting events and bars, though! No lines! :D

Hang in there...and chin up!
HUGE hugs!
K

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
SO glad to hear that you are home and that it's over!!

Yes, it generally does take about this long for the procedure - mine was 4 hours. I've had the CO2 gas twice, it's weird. But I also had the nausea and retching, mine from the PCA.

The good news is that once you get past next week, the improvements should be by leaps and bounds!!!!

Will pm about the bladder stuff.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Humour forum area is officially off limits to you for the next 5 days!
None of this young lady :ROTF:

SN, you are so right. It only hurts when I laugh! So, I guess I'll do it virtually. :ROTF:

And Kelly, love your description of the "up side" of catheters. I figure it will keep me moving around my house a little slower this week then it would otherwise, and that's probably a good thing. I just want it off by Friday morning so I can get my legs waxed that day! Priorities, right?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I has surgery, I loved my catheter. I could drink and drink and not have to get up to pee :D
Then they took it out and I had to learn how to get up and go like normal people, with a sore ab wall :(

Update . . . started feeling very hot and achy later this afternoon. Am now running a fever. Called my surgeon and he's called in a prescription for me and DH is going to pick it up. Hoping whatever this post-op infection is will get under control quickly as I am very uncomfortable. Thought it was more hot flashes but no, it's a fever....

:mad:

Update . . . started feeling very hot and achy later this afternoon. Am now running a fever. Called my surgeon and he's called in a prescription for me and DH is going to pick it up. Hoping whatever this post-op infection is will get under control quickly as I am very uncomfortable. Thought it was more hot flashes but no, it's a fever....

:mad:

Oh shoot! Sorry bout that. If it makes you feel a little better, my SIL (an OBGYN) says that this is not uncommon. Hang in there and SLEEP!!!!!!! :love:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh no!! Hang in there!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna