• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today was my company’s tournament, and my first time actually playing 9 holes outside of a 3 par course. My team won first place!!!! Thank goodness for best ball format though. Lol I didn’t have a great game, but it was fun! Also, the other beginner on my team was worse than me which was a welcome change. We had two guys who were really good and definitely carried us. I had 2 good putts to finish off holes though and a pretty good drive. My ball was actually best on this drive versus having to use an okay shot for the rule of using every player’s drive spot at least once. The best player told me while we were driving that he could tell I’d had lessons because I looked like I knew what I was doing and just needed more time to get the consistency. That made me feel good. I was so nervous the first few holes with people watching me that my hands were shaking, that certainly didn’t help my game. All in all a fun day though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
What?! Mr. “I’ve played twice in my life, the last time when I was 10”? THAT guy?

Huh, what a surprise . . . LOL!!!

lol I had kind of thought he was trying to make me feel better originally or that his guy strength would get him through. I was wrong on both.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When did you first play in a league? I was encouraged yesterday to do so, but I’m definitely not sure I’m ready. Best ball is one thing, but playing through is a lot scarier. I think I’d need to get a LOT better first.

altagirl

Staff member
When did you first play in a league? I was encouraged yesterday to do so, but I’m definitely not sure I’m ready. Best ball is one thing, but playing through is a lot scarier. I think I’d need to get a LOT better first.
It depends on the league. If you're talking Spark League... your third time golfing guy would fit right in. Everything from that to scratch golfer. It's extremely laid back and the league has a gimme rule that anything within a putter length of the hole you can just count as one stroke. (Lets be real, that's not necessatily a sure thing for me...) and you never count higher than a double bogey. But it speaks to the chill group vibe. The ladies leagues that I've played in are more serious about official rules and have rules clínics and such but still gladly welcome beginners. Read through the descriptions and see what's available and what seems like the right fit.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was a member of the local EWGA chapter for a year when I was learning to play. That merged several years ago to form the LPGA Amateur Golf Assoc. Like TSD, EWGA included some very good golfers who were willing to play casual rounds with beginners/intermediates. I found it very useful to get a sense of what "course management" meant by being able to see first hand how an experience golfer handled a difficult situation or decided on what club to use. There were opportunities to play 9-holes in the late afternoons on weekdays and 18-holes on weekends. Usually for very reasonable rates.

I would expect there to be one or more chapters in the Boston area.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another avenue for women golfers is WomenOnCourse. They have golf outings, some skill development events. Can be a good way to meet other women who golf at various skill levels.

I just learned about this. Have not attended any of the local events yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does anyone have a good mosquito repellent spray they use on the course? Preferably something natural?

It wasn’t much of an issue this summer, until now. It’s starting to get darker out earlier and it seems the mosquitoes are much more active when I’m on the course. I found 3 bites this week after golfing Monday and Tuesday which was an unpleasant surprise.

Members Online