• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today was my company’s tournament, and my first time actually playing 9 holes outside of a 3 par course. My team won first place!!!! Thank goodness for best ball format though. Lol I didn’t have a great game, but it was fun! Also, the other beginner on my team was worse than me which was a welcome change. We had two guys who were really good and definitely carried us. I had 2 good putts to finish off holes though and a pretty good drive. My ball was actually best on this drive versus having to use an okay shot for the rule of using every player’s drive spot at least once. The best player told me while we were driving that he could tell I’d had lessons because I looked like I knew what I was doing and just needed more time to get the consistency. That made me feel good. I was so nervous the first few holes with people watching me that my hands were shaking, that certainly didn’t help my game. All in all a fun day though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
What?! Mr. “I’ve played twice in my life, the last time when I was 10”? THAT guy?

Huh, what a surprise . . . LOL!!!

lol I had kind of thought he was trying to make me feel better originally or that his guy strength would get him through. I was wrong on both.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When did you first play in a league? I was encouraged yesterday to do so, but I’m definitely not sure I’m ready. Best ball is one thing, but playing through is a lot scarier. I think I’d need to get a LOT better first.

altagirl

Staff member
When did you first play in a league? I was encouraged yesterday to do so, but I’m definitely not sure I’m ready. Best ball is one thing, but playing through is a lot scarier. I think I’d need to get a LOT better first.
It depends on the league. If you're talking Spark League... your third time golfing guy would fit right in. Everything from that to scratch golfer. It's extremely laid back and the league has a gimme rule that anything within a putter length of the hole you can just count as one stroke. (Lets be real, that's not necessatily a sure thing for me...) and you never count higher than a double bogey. But it speaks to the chill group vibe. The ladies leagues that I've played in are more serious about official rules and have rules clínics and such but still gladly welcome beginners. Read through the descriptions and see what's available and what seems like the right fit.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was a member of the local EWGA chapter for a year when I was learning to play. That merged several years ago to form the LPGA Amateur Golf Assoc. Like TSD, EWGA included some very good golfers who were willing to play casual rounds with beginners/intermediates. I found it very useful to get a sense of what "course management" meant by being able to see first hand how an experience golfer handled a difficult situation or decided on what club to use. There were opportunities to play 9-holes in the late afternoons on weekdays and 18-holes on weekends. Usually for very reasonable rates.

I would expect there to be one or more chapters in the Boston area.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does anyone have a good mosquito repellent spray they use on the course? Preferably something natural?

It wasn’t much of an issue this summer, until now. It’s starting to get darker out earlier and it seems the mosquitoes are much more active when I’m on the course. I found 3 bites this week after golfing Monday and Tuesday which was an unpleasant surprise.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
While I know some of you are still skiing, I have thoroughly moved on for the season and am starting to focus on golf. My league starts the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

Last fall I bought a lesson package (had to use up that health insurance incentive card!) and finally did the first private lesson this Saturday. The instructor is great, and she made a big difference in my swing already. I tend toward being overly stiff, and we are working on using the wrists more. She taught me to "sweep and scoop" which, for the Harry Potter fans in the house, I think of in the same intonation and cadence as "swish and flick."

I have two more private lessons coming up before my league starts and then 4 drop-in group lessons I can use anytime through fall. So I figure I will start off the season and then use the group lessons after I see more what I am struggling with on the course.

Anyone else golfing yet?

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I know some of you are still skiing, I have thoroughly moved on for the season and am starting to focus on golf. My league starts the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

Last fall I bought a lesson package (had to use up that health insurance incentive card!) and finally did the first private lesson this Saturday. The instructor is great, and she made a big difference in my swing already. I tend toward being overly stiff, and we are working on using the wrists more. She taught me to "sweep and scoop" which, for the Harry Potter fans in the house, I think of in the same intonation and cadence as "swish and flick."

I have two more private lessons coming up before my league starts and then 4 drop-in group lessons I can use anytime through fall. So I figure I will start off the season and then use the group lessons after I see more what I am struggling with on the course.

Anyone else golfing yet?
I’m still in post ski season depression, LOL, The weather l has been iffy here, so that is usually also a factor for me; I don’t love having to wear my ski baselayers out on the golf course, LOL! I suppose if I don’t get on the slopes this coming weekend, I will maybe hit the range to shake off the rust!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I’m still in post ski season depression, LOL, The weather l has been iffy here, so that is usually also a factor for me; I don’t love having to wear my ski baselayers out on the golf course, LOL! I suppose if I don’t get on the slopes this coming weekend, I will maybe hit the range to shake off the rust!
I should have clarified, my lessons are in at an indoor golf dome driving range! The weather here is still quite variable for a full game of golf. Though it was in the 70s today (and I managed to get sunburned at the outdoor driving range with my family), there are snow flurries and a low in the 30s predicted for Wednesday.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Hello golf divas! How's it going? What is new in golf land?

On my end, I got a new set of clubs this week and took them out to the range to try them out today. I have been taking some lessons and my instructor recommended based on my height and arm length that I should be using men's senior flex clubs. So I figured I might as well upgrade, instead of continuing to learn with clubs that are too short. (Ginna hang onto my ladies clubs in case I eventually succeed in getting my daughter to enjoy golf too.)

We are 5 weeks in to my 12 week league. It's been ... a mixed bag so far. Traffic days have made me arrive late a few times which meant I was super stressed and played TERRIBLY. So trying to work out my work schedule to arrive early enough to warm up and be more relaxed at tee time.

Wishing you all pleasant golf adventures this season!

altagirl

Staff member
I normally just am doing Spark League, which is super laid back, but had a golf tournament for work and had been stressing a bit. I was out practicing my short game and just did not want to be embarrassing as the token woman from my company. You never know who you'll be playing and the work element was new to me. It was a scramble and.... LOL the first tee, none of the guys on my team got their ball past the women's tee box, (omg pressure) and my drive went pretty close to the green (phew!) I think we used my shots more often than not and clearly i did not need to stress about it. We ended up with a par for 18 holes and were solidly mid pack., which I was perfectly happy with.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I normally just am doing Spark League, which is super laid back, but had a golf tournament for work and had been stressing a bit. I was out practicing my short game and just did not want to be embarrassing as the token woman from my company. You never know who you'll be playing and the work element was new to me. It was a scramble and.... LOL the first tee, none of the guys on my team got their ball past the women's tee box, (omg pressure) and my drive went pretty close to the green (phew!) I think we used my shots more often than not and clearly i did not need to stress about it. We ended up with a par for 18 holes and were solidly mid pack., which I was perfectly happy with.
That sounds like a great showing @altagirl ! I have a couple work scramble things coming up this summer that I am similarly hoping to not make a fool of myself at. Lol

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those work outings can be stressful, but always nice when the ladies tee gives an advantage & you end up out driving the men, LOL.

altagirl

Staff member
Those work outings can be stressful, but always nice when the ladies tee gives an advantage & you end up out driving the men, LOL.
I kept joking that I was at the cheater tees, but when you're playing best ball it is definitely nice! And I was luckily having one of my better days driving so it worked out well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly