• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going Stockli: Can't decide Montero AS, AW vs Nela 80?

Lmk92

Angel Diva
One little nitpick I have centers on the binding. Three times I have had a bit of snow/ice in there and was unable to get clicked in properly. One time I thought I had broken the binding, so I finished a glade in one ski. Twice just this past weekend, I thought I was in, but apparently I was not, because on my first turn on a double black (!), the ski came off. Twice. As if I needed to add more to my anxiety.

Could the din setting affect this? I don't know the best way to prevent this mishap from occurring in the future.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
One little nitpick I have centers on the binding. Three times I have had a bit of snow/ice in there and was unable to get clicked in properly. One time I thought I had broken the binding, so I finished a glade in one ski. Twice just this past weekend, I thought I was in, but apparently I was not, because on my first turn on a double black (!), the ski came off. Twice. As if I needed to add more to my anxiety.

Could the din setting affect this? I don't know the best way to prevent this mishap from occurring in the future.
Funny you mention that. Do you have a small foot? I wasn't a fan of clicking into that binding...but with a 22.5 boot I assumed it was my boot size that made it hard (others have found that to be true on certain bindings). I find the binding on the laser SC easier for me and have Look Pivots mounted on my Nela 88's.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Funny you mention that. Do you have a small foot? I wasn't a fan of clicking into that binding...but with a 22.5 boot I assumed it was my boot size that made it hard (others have found that to be true on certain bindings). I find the binding on the laser SC easier for me and have Look Pivots mounted on my Nela 88's.
Not really. Size 8 shoe. I have never had an issue with other bindings.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Is it possible snow was sticking to your boot sole? Mine retain snow like a magnet I swear. I often not only have to bang them with my poles before stepping in but also have to scrape more off with the handle of my pole.

What is your din? Even if it's low I wouldn't expect it to constantly be popping off. But if you are skiing highly technical terrain in double blacks you should make sure your din is appropriate to your level and the terrain you are skiing. I'm sure you have, but talking to a shop about that to double check could be a good idea if things have changed since they were initially set or if you rated yourself too low when setting them or have any significant changes in weight or boot sole length etc.

Was just skiing with a very good early 20s skier who hadn't adjusted her din in the past several years through a growth spurt and such. She at one point took a turn into a steep bowl and one ski just popped off. Luckily it was all good though she got to climb back up to the ski and get it on in really steep terrain that I would have been unhappy about if it were me. We definitely guided that she needed to remedy that with the terrain she skis and she agreed. After recalculating she should have been another bump higher than she was. You do not want prereleases in super consequential terrain and no fall zones that's for sure.

Last edited:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Is it possible snow was sticking to your boot sole? Mine retain snow like a magnet I swear. I often not only have to bang them with my poles before stepping in but also have to scrape more off with the handle of my pole.

What is your din? Even if it's low I wouldn't expect it to constantly be popping off. But if you are skiing highly technical terrain in double blacks you should make sure your din is appropriate to your level and the terrain you are skiing. I'm sure you have, but talking to a shop about that to double check could be a good idea if things have changed since they were initially set or if you rated yourself too low when setting them or have any significant changes in weight or boot sole length etc.
Well, let's be honest - I'm rarely on double black terrain, lol. But I do think it was a combination of snow on the boot and maybe some ice in the binding. It was just strange that after many seasons of skiing, this is the first year this has been an issue for me. Likely a coincidence that it's a season with new skis/bindings.

marzNC

Angel Diva
DH had water freeze in his binding once (left in car for several nights) and it wouldn't click in. Had to take the ski inside to melt.
I had a similar problem at Sunday River with older skis during an early season trip. Rode up in a chondola cabin and couldn't click in. Had to ride the gondola back down. Ended up sitting on a bench in the rental area warming up the bindings in with my hands. After that, I was more likely to bring those skis inside after a day of skiing.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here. Left my skis in the car overnight and ended up with an ice jam in the binding. The nice guys at the mountain rental/repair shop fixed it in no time w/a handy blow dryer.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Maybe have the bindings checked? It seems odd that you keep popping out. DIN too low or forward pressure could be off?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well, let's be honest - I'm rarely on double black terrain, lol. But I do think it was a combination of snow on the boot and maybe some ice in the binding. It was just strange that after many seasons of skiing, this is the first year this has been an issue for me. Likely a coincidence that it's a season with new skis/bindings.
I skied with them for over a wk at Taos in various conditions and didn't have any issues with the bindings, FWIW.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos , good to hear. Salomon bindings have never been a problem for me before either, but as another petite-booted skier , I was a teeny bit curious about the difficulty of Lmk92. My new Montero AW arrived last week:wink:
Will you be able to get on them at all this season...even for a quick glide on something flat?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So... I may have an opportunity to get onto the Monteros in the next week or so. They are being mounted today. If I stick to the beginner slopes I think it's totally doable. The broken arm is still healing, but after exactly two months from the date of injury (today) I have much better use of the arm. Range of motion is still limited, but not so much now to prevent using poles if I am very careful.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So... I may have an opportunity to get onto the Monteros in the next week or so. They are being mounted today. If I stick to the beginner slopes I think it's totally doable. The broken arm is still healing, but after exactly two months from the date of injury (today) I have much better use of the arm. Range of motion is still limited, but not so much now to prevent using poles if I am very careful.
That would be great! Just stick to the bunny slopes and get a feel for them. Quit while you're ahead ;)

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Keeping in mind that this is a marketing video, Stöckli skis are designed to last a long time. There are variations of videos about the manufacturing process starting around 2018.

October 2023

I enjoyed the Black Pearls that I bought in 2012 and still have as rock skis. However, it was pretty clear after 2-3 seasons that the top sheet was chipped in more than one place. The camber was also not the same as when the skis were new.

The Stormrider 85s that I bought from Le Ski Mastery at Taos Ski Valley in 2017 after demo'ing them for a couple days are still in great shape after more than six seasons, averaging 25+ days on snow at destination resorts in the Rockies.

Note that I treated these skis with DPS Phantom in 2020 so they have not been waxed since then. I had a stone grind done before I treated the skis at home.

The instructors at my home mountain love the narrower Stöckli models. That's how I first learned about the brand when I was starting to demo skis more.

Such an interesting video, thank you for this! I demoed the Montero AW on Taos's closing day this season and walked away in love. Going to have them treated with Phantom too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna