• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Freak Ski Accident. Bindings Beware!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently heard a story about a girl who lost her virginity to a Look Pivot heel piece. Needed 60 stitches....

How'syourAspen?

Diva in Training
OK for all those doubters (by the way loving the great sense of humour some of you girls have!) google "ski bindings" and go to the Wikipedia link and you'll see a picture of a boot in a binding which was pretty similar to the one I fell on. Then stand up and see if you can pull your heel towards your crotch. I'm quite flexible but if you can get within about 10cm (the approximate length of the binding) of your crotch then bingo this could happen to you! Skin in that area is thin and can tear easily plus there's lots of blood supply down there. I think the surgeon described it as a blunt trauma injury. I'm very glad my pants didn't tear otherwise you would have seen all the blood on the outside which I'm sure would have attracted some very strange stares!
As for my "Ass" it's still a bit sore so I haven't let any fleshy pole like objects anywhere near it yet!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:faint: - about the best reaction to this injury.
Yikes and wow.

But I can see how it definitely could happen. I've had some curious abrasion and bruise injuries in years past that happened beneath all (undamaged) ski clothing. Even busted a watch crystal once. Had a perfect bruise-imprint of a binding toe piece (NOT mine) on the back of my knee once.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know of any binding that has a pointed tip that would be that sharp to puncture through multiple layers of clothing and then skin. Most have rounded corners. So IMHO the binding must have had something broken and really shouldn't have been in the rental fleet until it was fixed or thrown out. Without a picture we'll never know.

Glad to know you're on mend How'syourAspen.

Wouldn't have to tear skin to tear arteries (I do have pictures of one I worked on, required a four hour repair). Just needs to put pressure on just the wrong place at just the wrong angle. Google straddle injuries in women.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking at a ski buddy's Knee Bindings today. I bet they could do it. (They don't make demo bindings, but they're the right shape.)

newboots

Angel Diva
I was looking at a ski buddy's Knee Bindings today. I bet they could do it. (They don't make demo bindings, but they're the right shape.)

Aak! Maybe better for your knees, maybe bad for your labia!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Skiing medium soft bumps on front side of Heavenly black diamond.. Have skied this area called Hogsback many many times.. Must have turned fast on a bump somehow twisting my body as felt a weird "pull or tear" in hip/glute area on left side. This is where I have issues w bulging disc and annular tear.. Woke up this morning and could barely move..no skiing today! 9 days in a row of skiing so doing the following: ice, heat, massage tens unit, aleve and aleve pm.. Oh and wine. What the heck did I do? Paging @Obrules15 and @Gloria ...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sorry meant to stRt new thread on this. Mods, please feel free to move.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just yesterday I noticed that, after Day 16, my Marmot Gore-Tex (read, "not cheap") snow pants are frayed at the bottom and have a couple of tiny tears. The fraying is undoubtedly from walking on them, which I have stopped, but the little tears are from ordinary falls when the fabric rubs against the bindings. They are reinforced along the bottom, but the little tears are just above the reinforcement. Day 16? It gives me pause, and this thread is a clear indication of how close we routinely come to really getting damaged ourselves.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, or some ski pants have very durable material on the inside, like Kevlar (no joke). Edges are (should be) sharp!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing medium soft bumps on front side of Heavenly black diamond.. Have skied this area called Hogsback many many times.. Must have turned fast on a bump somehow twisting my body as felt a weird "pull or tear" in hip/glute area on left side. This is where I have issues w bulging disc and annular tear.. Woke up this morning and could barely move..no skiing today! 9 days in a row of skiing so doing the following: ice, heat, massage tens unit, aleve and aleve pm.. Oh and wine. What the heck did I do? Paging @Obrules15 and @Gloria ...

Um, I had a bulging disc that herniated when I crawled under a desk to install a router. Had had musculoskeletal back pain prior to that that but after disc herniation had difficulty moving at all, had a pronounced limp and felt like my pelvis was unstable. Because you had a preexisting tear and bulge, I'd get that checked out, maybe MRI'd.

Hope you feel better and it's nothing..........

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Um, I had a bulging disc that herniated when I crawled under a desk to install a router. Had had musculoskeletal back pain prior to that that but after disc herniation had difficulty moving at all, had a pronounced limp and felt like my pelvis was unstable. Because you had a preexisting tear and bulge, I'd get that checked out, maybe MRI'd.

Hope you feel better and it's nothing..........
Thanks! Felt a little better and skied a bit today in a blizzard and thought not a good idea.. so now chilling at wine bar.. going to Europe in two weeks so need to heal . Thanks for your response . I think it's a strain...

newboots

Angel Diva
That's probably your edges cutting the material. Keep your feet farther apart....just kidding...

Yeah, or some ski pants have very durable material on the inside, like Kevlar (no joke). Edges are (should be) sharp!

Duh - I didn't think of the edges. But it makes sense, especially the shape of the little tears. They look like tiny knife cuts. Hah, my friend tuned my skis, and my skiing got better and faster, but the pants are in trouble!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Duh - I didn't think of the edges. But it makes sense, especially the shape of the little tears. They look like tiny knife cuts.

By the way, these can also cut your jacket when you're carrying your skis. And cut your fingers if you're not careful. Ask me how I know ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna