• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Freak Ski Accident. Bindings Beware!

How'syourAspen?

Diva in Training
Hi Ladies, I had what should have been a minor fall but ended up in emergency. I caught an edge on some ice and feel down hard onto the heel lever of my binding (which was sticking up as my ski did not release) right between my legs! I just thought I'd bruised my pelvic bone but when I stood up I could feel a rush of warm liquid running down my legs. Thinking I must have wet my pants with the shock I managed to ski to a washroom only to discover I was covered in blood from my waist to my knees!! The binding had a pointed tip which acted like a spear and tore through the skin of my labia rupturing a major blood vessel! I was rushed down in a banana boat to the hospital to get stitched up. I was lucky I didn't break any bones but I do wonder why my binding was designed with a pointed tip on the heel lever? Most bindings you see have a rounded tip or squared off tip. If the same injury happened to a man he could end up sterile. That might get the attention of the binding designers! So next time you hire some skis or buy some bindings look at the heel lever and avoid one with a pointed tip!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. My. Gosh.

I've never, ever heard of anything like this. What a weird and awful accident! Glad you're okay; you are, aren't you?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh. My.

On the one hand, I'm having a hard time picturing how this happened. On the other, it makes me shudder to think about it.

Hope you're doing well and heal fast.

newboots

Angel Diva
How awful! Sounds painful, too. I know my bindings don't look like that, but it makes me want to run down and double-check! Feel better soon!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh sh*t, I'm glad you're OK.

But I will say, the most apparently innocuous things can cause catastrophic consequences for women if you land just the wrong way (or are poked in just the wrong place by a fleshy object). I've seen girls in the ICU from a straddle fall over a bathtub edge.

So glad you realized what was going on in time and they got you care in time.

Hi Ladies, I had what should have been a minor fall but ended up in emergency. I caught an edge on some ice and feel down hard onto the heel lever of my binding (which was sticking up as my ski did not release) right between my legs! I just thought I'd bruised my pelvic bone but when I stood up I could feel a rush of warm liquid running down my legs. Thinking I must have wet my pants with the shock I managed to ski to a washroom only to discover I was covered in blood from my waist to my knees!! The binding had a pointed tip which acted like a spear and tore through the skin of my labia rupturing a major blood vessel! I was rushed down in a banana boat to the hospital to get stitched up. I was lucky I didn't break any bones but I do wonder why my binding was designed with a pointed tip on the heel lever? Most bindings you see have a rounded tip or squared off tip. If the same injury happened to a man he could end up sterile. That might get the attention of the binding designers! So next time you hire some skis or buy some bindings look at the heel lever and avoid one with a pointed tip!

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva

That's horrible, glad you are ok. I had a similar but not as bad injury four years ago, when I lost my balance dismounting a chairlift on my snowboard, and drove the back support of my binding between my legs, agonizing! Now I'm mostly skiing,and thinking about it,my Marker Squires have a pointy rear release lever! I will try not to fall on it!

Last edited by a moderator:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh sh*t, I'm glad you're OK.

But I will say, the most apparently innocuous things can cause catastrophic consequences for women if you land just the wrong way (or are poked in just the wrong place by a fleshy object). I've seen girls in the ICU from a straddle fall over a bathtub edge.

So glad you realized what was going on in time and they got you care in time.
I was just going to page you for your opinion... How awful.

How'syourAspen?

Diva in Training
Thanks to everyone for your supportive comments. I'm glad this is a women only forum as was rather an embarrassing situation. Looked like I was having the period from hell!!
Anyway the stitches have now fallen out so feeling almost back to normal. It has certainly knocked my confidence around though as after a few days off I was back on the mountain but skied terribly! Will just have to keep practicing. What a shame!
p.s. I don't know what brand the bindings were as they were just hire skis.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wowzers. That is the very definition of "freak accident"! So glad you're ok!

I've had to have stitches in my labia before which was decidedly uncomfortable... but I can't even imagine what something like that must have been like for you!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will admit I couldn't picture this incident, so my husband demonstrated to me how it was possible. Which ... okay, I got a good laugh out of watching him do it. I apologize!

Sounds awful. Glad you're more or less okay.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG! So glad you are recovering quickly!! that's frightening!! And Welcome to the Forum! Hope your future ski days are Much better!

Jilly

Staff member
If the skis were rentals, then it possible that the binding is missing "cosmetic" parts or something was broken off. It really should not be in circulation if there are sharp parts showing.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the skis were rentals, then it possible that the binding is missing "cosmetic" parts or something was broken off. It really should not be in circulation if there are sharp parts showing.

The binding wouldn't need to be missing any parts to do the damage. Fleshy pole like objects have been known to tear vulvar arteries, require multi-unit blood transfusions, 4 hour surgeries, and 3 day hospital stays.

Basically the vulnerability women face is in the fall, not the object you fall on. Ask any gynecologist, the straddle fall call is never a good thing.

So while I understand being leery about binding shape, trust me when I say falling on anything (and yes, I mean the innuendo) can cause damage which would scorch most women's retinas.

Don't be afraid of bindings, or skiing, it won't help. Really your choices are either lock yourself in a closet for the rest of your life with your legs strapped together or like everything else try to be safe and healthy and stay physically fit to reduce your risk of falls.

Jilly

Staff member
The binding had a pointed tip which acted like a spear

I don't know of any binding that has a pointed tip that would be that sharp to puncture through multiple layers of clothing and then skin. Most have rounded corners. So IMHO the binding must have had something broken and really shouldn't have been in the rental fleet until it was fixed or thrown out. Without a picture we'll never know.

Glad to know you're on mend How'syourAspen.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've gotten abrasions in falls without any damage to my clothing. Skin is fragile ... skin in that area .. more so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly