• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Feeling the Fear...

Hsinski

Diva in Training
@bounceswoosh this weekend was full of skiers who were unpredictable and skied very close. My instructor also almost got mowed down by a dude who looked like he should have known better but clearly didn't.
I'm based in Colorado as well. I noticed that there are a lot of skiers coming from a merging trail or trees and they do not show any sign of slowing down and I am forced to make a long wide turn across my trail to avoid them. I thought merging trail needs to yield?

newboots

Angel Diva
The short answer is: the purpose of turning is to maintain speed, rather than to shed speed.

Ideally, you will be turning before you get to the point where you feel like you are going too fast; it is not the act of turning, but the average effective angle of your "slant" down the hill that determines your overall speed. Eventually, you hit a balance of speed and turn shape that keeps you down the hill at a fairly steady pace.

Oh, I understand. I have done both, and @bounceswoosh, certainly I do tend toward those hard braking turns. It is often the beginning of the turn that puts me in mind of slowing down ("Oh sh*t Oh sh*t!). I can't think of any other activity where you speed up (as you turn down into the fall line) in order to maintain your speed. It takes a lot of getting used to.

I'm happy to say, though, that I've had a number of skiing days lately where I'm not constantly focused on slowing down! Just finished day 22 on Sunday. It's getting easier!

newboots

Angel Diva
Welcome, @Hsinski ! We're happy to have you!

We easterners are home with a blizzard today, at least many of us are. Wishing for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off. . .

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Long before I hurt my knee, I had this response. Not "or die," but specifically, when I get to variable conditions, I think, "What if I twist my knee?"

I think actually blowing out my ACL has reduced that in a weird way - because it was such a violent fall. This isn't logically correct, but in my head it's like, "Well, falling here definitely won't be as bad as that was, so I'm okay."

My daughter has torn her mcl twice now (well, not the same one - two different knees). Maybe that's in the back of my brain? I dunno.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is often the beginning of the turn that puts me in mind of slowing down ("Oh sh*t Oh sh*t!). I can't think of any other activity where you speed up (as you turn down into the fall line) in order to maintain your speed. It takes a lot of getting used to.

I think there is more subtlety here, but I don't have the words for it. It's true that you can't avoid some amount of speeding up as your skis point straight down the hill.

I think everyone is worried about the top of the turn. After all, that's where you have to decide to commit to turning down the hill, which is scary. The thing is that the quality of the top of the turn determines the quality of the rest of the turn. So what I've been learning is that we tend to "hang on to" that uphill edge at the end of the last turn too long, and try to force ourselves into the next turn without allowing the ski to go through all the points in between. It's the hardest thing in the world to decide to tip our skis, and orient our bodies with that tip, and *allow* the ski to turn rather than forcing it to turn. Paradoxically, allowing the ski to tip and allowing the ski to progress through the turn without slamming it from edge to edge actually provides better control.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, because it's something I've been chewing on and may not understand fully. But what I do know is that holding onto the edge from the last turn is actually what makes the next turn feel so out of control.

The amazing sensation I experienced ("feel it again for the first time!") Saturday, skiing a steep bowl for the first time since last season, was this wonderful feeling of unweighting every time I turned down toward the fall line. I don't get that feeling when I'm skiing defensively and slamming on the brakes.

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
Long before I hurt my knee, I had this response. Not "or die," but specifically, when I get to variable conditions, I think, "What if I twist my knee?"

I think actually blowing out my ACL has reduced that in a weird way - because it was such a violent fall. This isn't logically correct, but in my head it's like, "Well, falling here definitely won't be as bad as that was, so I'm okay."
I do get what you are saying. I flew over my handlebars for the first time mountain biking last fall. I don't wish to do that again, but having done it I don't find the idea as scary as I did before ever doing it.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
The short answer is: the purpose of turning is to maintain speed, rather than to shed speed.

I will explain in more detail when I have more time, but perhaps I should defer to an instructor?

I think it would be more helpful to think of turning as our most effective and efficient method of managing the speed of our descent while skiing. That said, turns can be used to shed speed, to maintain speed or to increase speed, depending on how we decide to execute them.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think it would be more helpful to think of turning as our most effective and efficient method of managing the speed of our descent while skiing. That said, turns can be used to shed speed, to maintain speed or to increase speed, depending on how we decide to execute them.

Helpful!

Lately I've been skiing just to have fun (and one day to go fast, with my new Skitracks app. I'm turning it off!). I'll start paying attention to the whole shape of the turn again and see if I can feel it more clearly. Thanks!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
:party: Thank you,, thank you, thank you, Divas!
Using your tips from this thread and one referred to, I was better able to handle the powder (18+ inches) today at Okemo. I seldom get such an opportunity and so am ~not~ good at it, but you gave me some tools to work with and I also overheard an instructor working with a lady from North Carolina, obviously also ~not~ accustomed!
So, as a result, I had a surprisingly good day! Eek! :dance:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:party: Thank you,, thank you, thank you, Divas!
Using your tips from this thread and one referred to, I was better able to handle the powder (18+ inches) today at Okemo. I seldom get such an opportunity and so am ~not~ good at it, but you gave me some tools to work with and I also overheard an instructor working with a lady from North Carolina, obviously also ~not~ accustomed!
So, as a result, I had a surprisingly good day! Eek! :dance:

Nice job! 18 inches is nothing to sneeze at!

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
Newbie to the forum; my $.02 for what it's worth: I'm skiing again after about 25 years not skiing. Took a lesson our first day back, and it was so helpful. But I ski pretty "instinctively" if that makes sense, and I think the gear I have now makes a huge difference.

After two runs on that first day, my instructor suggested a steep bowl, blue run. He said keep your body facing downhill, and don't reach to pole plant, rather "overbend" (more like 45 degrees than 90 degrees) your arms at the elbows. He said the purpose of poling is just to keep your upper body in the right position over your skis. It really helped. There was quite a bit of snow that day, and I was also told (on a different run) to stay centered over my skis and just "ride it," rather than do the stupid hop thing I was told to do by my crazy ski buddies on my skinny skis back in the 80's (could never get the hang of that but I get now why we had to do it... our skis just sank).

If I stay focused on poling as instructed and keeping my body pointed downhill, I feel in control no matter how steep the run and how deep the snow. But sometimes I really have to focus... (and I vowed to quit every ski day with some gas left in the tank and always skip that "one more run")

Those are great videos, BTW (previous page).

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Newbie to the forum
Welcome!

Well, in contrast to what you and @snowski/swimmouse posted, I had an ego-negative day... Got stuck on a hill, and a ski patrol person helped me get over to the next trail over. Part of it was the quality of snow; I could not even glide across the hill without getting stuck. Part of it was that, after falling a few times, I had completely lost my nerve. Ah, well. :becky:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Welcome!

Well, in contrast to what you and @snowski/swimmouse posted, I had an ego-negative day... Got stuck on a hill, and a ski patrol person helped me get over to the next trail over. Part of it was the quality of snow; I could not even glide across the hill without getting stuck. Part of it was that, after falling a few times, I had completely lost my nerve. Ah, well. :becky:
Been there, done that! I can sooo relate. It's almost a different sport when the snow is that different. And it's definitely different muscles that all spoke up this morning!

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome!

That's a bummer! On that same day, right after our lesson, my husband blew his knee in the deep snow. It was only 12:00. He's in great shape, a personal trainer and a former Marine, and we weren't doing anything risky or difficult. Stuff happens.

Thanks for the welcome!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rather than "using the turn to slow down", think, instead, of using the SHAPE of the turn, and especially the END of the turn as the way to control your speed. Let your skis float into the fall line, enjoy your moments of hanging out there, feel the rush, THEN, gently steer the skis into the finish of the turn, and FULLY COMPLETE the turn so you're almost turning up the hill again. Once you feel yourself begin to slow down, then it's time to start the next turn.

By speeding through the belly of the turn (skipping the fall line), you're having to use your muscles to slow down, and you're most likely to over rotate your entire body, getting "stuck" in the turn, which makes it super difficult to start the next turn.

Take a moment and rewatch those videos with that mind set and try to "feel" what he's doing in the middle and end of each turn. Watch the patience he displays in each and every turn.

It's really is like driving a car - slow BEFORE the turn, start the turn, accelerate into the belly of the turn, and back off the accelerator at the end. Zoooooooommmmmm!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga