• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you stretch?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Either before or after you work out?

I generally don't, though I do sometimes, just because I like the way it feels. Yet opinions on stretching vary. Some people say it's better before working out, some after. Some say it has no effect on reducing injuries, some say it's critical.

Now there's a study being conducted by USA Track & Field to determine the effect of pre-run stretching on running injuries. The purpose of the study is to determine specifically if pre-run stretching of the three major leg muscle groups is beneficial for overall injury prevention or reduction. They're actually soliciting volunteers to participate. So if you're interested, go here.

So what do you think about stretching as part of running or any other workout? And do you stretch?

altagirl

Staff member
My understanding of recent studies is that you should never stretch before a workout/exercise. Static stretching decreases your muscle strength for a few hours after you do it. It's fine (and good) to do afterwards, but I'm pretty sure none of us needs weaker muscles before we start our activity.

What you need to do is warm up before activity and then stretch afterwards.

The study results should be interesting, though!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stretch afterwards, or after doing what I'm doing for long enough for my muscles to warm up. The study is still soliciting subjects? It's been out for close to a year, I thought. I wasn't willing to be one of the people ordered to stretch before working out.

Jilly

Staff member
At the gym, I don't stretch, but I do warm up by doing the exercises mildly. Stretch after yes!! Our dragon boat crew is similar. We warm up with a light paddle then do some stretches in the boat. And we do stretches after paddling for sure.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ditto what Jill said ^^ It's amazing how much soreness can be prevented. Not to mention injury. Post-exercise stretching MANDATORY. Light pre, but mostly warm-up, and I go through a pre-skiing routine that must look pretty dumb. Tough. It works.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I stretch afterwards, or after doing what I'm doing for long enough for my muscles to warm up. The study is still soliciting subjects? It's been out for close to a year, I thought. I wasn't willing to be one of the people ordered to stretch before working out.

The study began last August, and they say they'll keep recruiting participants until they see at least a 5 percent difference in injury rates between the stretchers and nonstretchers or until it becomes clear that there's no difference.

There's an article about it in the NY Times, if you're interested in finding out more.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I remember I had blogged about the USATF study last summer right when it was announced. I'm one of those people who thinks that I'm going to hurt myself stretching cold muscles (since I run in the morning about 10 minutes after waking up), so I don't stretch until after I run.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I go to the gym I always warm up with some fast cycling on easy for five minutes then stretch. I always stretch at the end, I love the feel and I like getting flexible.

But I've just started bike riding and can't figure out how to stretch after I've warmed up. I have my feet attached to my pedals so I will sometimes just push my heel down and stretch the back of my calves, but I can't do much else. And I haven't stretched afterwards, I've been far to keen to get out of the clothing and into the shower. Luckily I haven't felt stiff after cycling.

I've also begun horseriding again and don't know how to stretch once I'm mounted. Once we've finished I'm too busy taking the tack off and grooming the horse before I turn her out to stretch. And again when I get home I'm in a hurry to get into the shower. I do feel stiff after horseriding.

On skis I only stretch when made to by the instructor, cos otherwise I just know I'll end up falling over and twisting something while I've got my ski in that ridiculous position in front or behind. I do sometimes stretch when I get off the hill, but it's usually a while later.

Looks like I need to develop a safe routine.

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My wallet stretches a lot...does that count?:duck:

Seriously, never before a workout but always after the last set. Feels good, keeps the muscles I just worked so hard to strengthen flexible and warm, and it's nice to be able to see how far I can really stretch without tearing, jarring, bobbing, or hurting anything.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
LilaBear: I think I have some ideas for both on-cycle and on horse stretching. On horseback, you do these at a working walk, with reins held loosely or dropped. First, you can put your arms to the sides and bend and touch your left foot with your right hand, then the other way. You can hold the stretch for a few breaths. You can stretch to the horse's ears with each hand and to the tail with each hand. You can do around the worlds in your saddle (drop reins, bring right foot over horses head so that you face left, bring left foot to rear, right foot to rear so that you face back, bring left foot to side, right foot to side so that you face sideways, then go back to beginning and repeat in other direction). You can do leg lifts (or bicylces), shoulder shrugs and circles. I'm sure there are more. I have this really good yoga for equestrians book and it shoes a ton of asans you can do on a horse.

On cycle, you can take on foot out of the cleat, drop the heel down and hold it. You can do neck circles, shoulder circles, torso twists. Don't know how to stretch hamstrings and quads? Anyone else?

C

CMCM

I do stretching things, but not necessarily in conjunction with my sports activities. I over-did things skiing in Feb. 07 (too many days of skiing in a row, stressed out my lower back) and I got a back spasm as a result. It was absolutely excruciating! After getting things under control, I started doing back-targeted yoga sessions a couple of times a week, stretching, twisting etc. using DVD's specifically for the back, and that helped me recover and has kept my back from further trouble ever since, so I consider the stretching really critical for me. I never want to go thru back spasms again....only thing worse was childbirth!!! Also, because my back trouble came from skiing, I usually do some quick stretch routines at home before we leave for a day's skiing. I think it has been helplful.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do stretch but never before unless I have a really tight muscle. Even then I usually get a couple of miles in on the bike before I stretch. Most of the time stretching occurs after my workout, either while still in the pool if swimming or once I get home after cycling. I also try to stretch every evening while watching tv.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do a series of movements called "Movement Prep". They are very general warmups and can be used for all my activities. Here is one that I use consistently, especially when time is limited. It stretches and warmups all my muscles.

https://www.coreperformance.com/movement/video/

Before I ski I use my form roller and do my movement prep. My muscles feel better prepared for the slopes and last season my knees seemed happier with fewer issues.

Static stretching and foam roller comes at the end of the day, it helps to keep leg muscles from becoming tight.

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
No, I don't stretch before exercising, but I do 17-20 minutes on my elliptical machine so I'm good and warmed up before I start. I don't stretch afterwards either. I do the bulk of my work out on a Total Gym and I think that stretches me enough.

The only time I do stretch is before skiing and it makes all the difference in the world.

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The latest conventional wisdom advises people, especially women, against excessive stretching prior to sport. However, check out this article and video about foam roller flexibility and check out the uber-hot trainer!:wink:

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do a series of movements called "Movement Prep". They are very general warmups and can be used for all my activities. Here is one that I use consistently, especially when time is limited. It stretches and warmups all my muscles.

https://www.coreperformance.com/movement/video/

Before I ski I use my form roller and do my movement prep. My muscles feel better prepared for the slopes and last season my knees seemed happier with fewer issues.

Static stretching and foam roller comes at the end of the day, it helps to keep leg muscles from becoming tight.

Awesome plan!:thumbsup:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I've been prepping for 1/2 marathon, no stretching until about a mile or so completed, then about 10 different stretches for different areas. Then minimum 10 stretches when workout complete or more if time allows.

If no time for warmup before stretching, will stretch after hot shower.

ski-luvr

Certified Ski Diva
I never thought of NOT stretching out before working out. Interesting that there are some studies that are saying it may not necessarily be benefecial to stretch before. I always thought of my muscles as sort being like rubber bands. The more you stretch 'em the farther they'll go when you let them go...you know what I mean? I'm going to have to ask some of the physical therapists and orthopedic surgreons that I work with about this one...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga