• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you stretch?

LiaEliz

Certified Ski Diva
Stretching is really good for you - but in term of skiing - over stretching is not. We use many short burst of energy and if you are too flexible - you are not going to get the snap you need for moguls etc.

letioga

Certified Ski Diva
Stretching pre-workout

I've always heard that stretching before a workout is like taking an elastic band out of the freezer and trying to stretch it to full capacity. I am bad about stretching after a warm-up, so end up only stretching after a workout. But man, do I feel it if I don't stretch!

Christy

Angel Diva
Did everyone see this recent NY Times article on the dangers of stretching before exercise?

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?em

Before I read that I had no idea that stretched weakened muscles, and it iss only out-of-touch amateur athletes like me that were still doing this! They suggest good warm up exercises which was very helpful for me.

But how are we supposed to warm up before skiing? I can't do those exercises in ski boots.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I figure loading the car, driving 15 minutes to the slopes, then walking to lodge, putting on boots, climbing stairs to slopes, gets me stretched and warmed up enough. In 38 years of skiing, I've never gotten an injury of any kind at the beginning of a day.

Sierra

Certified Ski Diva
I never stretch before exercise. The evidence seems pretty much against it.

I stretch after running or lifting, but I never think of stretching after skiing, kayaking or swimming. I don't know why not, I just don't.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was never a big stretcher on my own (in sports we always stretched together after warmups and after workouts) until I got IT band syndrome last winter from running. Now I try to do it religiously after even a long walk to keep my hips and knees happy. I stretch other parts too, but most of my time is spent stretching out my IT bands.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga