• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you keep track of vertical feet?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I keep track of how many days I ski, but not how many vertical feet. My husband has a watch that tracks vertical feet. And I know a few other guys who have one, too. Does anyone here do this? Or is this a super competitive guy thing?

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Me too. I keep track of days, but not vertical. One man I ski with often is kinda fanatical about his vertical, so maybe it is a guy thing. Anyway, I often say it's quality, not quantity, that makes a good ski day for me.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a "ski watch" that tracks my vertical feet. I track the vertical each day I ski really just to see if I have had a "busy day" or not. It doesn't of course distinguish if I have been in the bumps or powder all day vs the groomers. I don't do anything with the info. If I really wanted to go nuts, I could download it to my computer and do all kinds of analysis. I also keep track of my workout time at the gym and my pace when run. Guess I am kind of silly with that way :noidea:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My husband has been keeping track of his vertical feet for over 30 years. He finally got an altimeter watch and realized that some of the ski areas exaggerate the vertical feet of their lifts, so he had to readjust all his numbers. What do you expect from an engineer with OCD? :chillpill:

Me, I generally keep track of the number of runs, but if I'm skiing with friends it's very easy to lose track, and I really don't care. I can tell what kind of day I had without all the facts and figures to back me up. :hug:

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a watch that do it for me... But I am a bigger fan of total distance than vertical feet...

In Austria several of the ski resorts log them for you as they keep the history of your ski pass and you can go online and check it out when you get home after a day in the slopes.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ :laugh: re: engineer with OCD! (surprised mine isn't more like this when skiing - but he's not). A friend brought a gps and checked the base and summit elevations of chairlifts to see if what resort lists was accurate. It is. So--no altimeter watch for me, but I occasionally count up chairlift rides on a weekday when I'm going for the workout/burn, just to add up what I logged.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
In Austria several of the ski resorts log them for you as they keep the history of your ski pass and you can go online and check it out when you get home after a day in the slopes.

That's actually pretty cool, and a little scary, too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Aren't there U.S. resorts that do this? (I'm "deja-vu'ing" here...) I seem to recall that any resort that utilizes a turnstile-type of lift entrance, where a pass is bar-coded and read at the turnstile, has this capability. :noidea:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I kept track for the first time this year and it was really fun! I didn't think of it as a competitive guy thing. I was just curious, and it was interesting to correlate my vertical for the day with the state of my 49 year old leg muscles. :D Don't have a GPS watch or anything. I just mentally kept track of my runs during the day and then, while having my mandatory apres ski beer, would use the trail map to guestimate my vertical for the day.

Total for the season was about 350,000 ft. Hoping to hit 500,000 next year! :smile: (really want to increase my total # of ski days)

altagirl

Staff member
Aren't there U.S. resorts that do this? (I'm "deja-vu'ing" here...) I seem to recall that any resort that utilizes a turnstile-type of lift entrance, where a pass is bar-coded and read at the turnstile, has this capability. :noidea:

Yeah - they do that at Alta, but I've never bothered to check the numbers.

Keeping track of the number of days you ski is useful to determine if you're getting your money's worth out of season pass, etc. But I can't think of any practical reason to keep track of vertical feet skied. It's not all the same anyway - and I could get a lot more vert in my just skiing groomers, but we tend to spend more time hiking/traversing to get to more interesting stuff... it wouldn't really reflect much of anything to me.

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ACtually, this sounds like a cool idea. I love technology type things, and I would probably have a fun time with something like this. No, I am not an engineer, I am an RN but techno type things are fun for me.
Since I mainly ski groomers because there isn't anything else at my home mountain it would be fun to track, esoecially since I am now starting to ski more challenging slopes. If anyone has detals about the watch or the GPS system I would greatly appreciate it.

I love geography type things also, so it would be a fun way to track where I have been.

altagirl

Staff member
ACtually, this sounds like a cool idea. I love technology type things, and I would probably have a fun time with something like this. No, I am not an engineer, I am an RN but techno type things are fun for me.
Since I mainly ski groomers because there isn't anything else at my home mountain it would be fun to track, esoecially since I am now starting to ski more challenging slopes. If anyone has detals about the watch or the GPS system I would greatly appreciate it.

I love geography type things also, so it would be a fun way to track where I have been.

Lots of Suunto watches have options like that. I bet there are dozens of companies making watches that track altitude and/or have a GPS built in.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I have a new ski buddy who has one of these watches. (Yes, he's a guy.) And found it very interesting!! I'm almost upset now that I know about tracking vertical feet because now I'm going to obsess over it.

The 1st day we skied together we had over 30k vertical...which is a big day. Also the last day I skied before needing knee surgery. :(

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! This thread made me laugh.
My husband is also an engineer who wears his altimeter watch skiing and tracks his vertical. I couldn't care less how much we do as long as I'm having fun, but if he gets less than 20,000 feet, he doesn't feel like he's had a good day.
Other than this one thing, he's pretty laid back, but he is male and an engineer so maybe we're onto something here.......

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch which is not too expensive. A lot cheaper than the Suunto ones. What I like about it is that when I upload the data to my computer afterwards it shows me where I have been skiing on a google map.

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch which is not too expensive. A lot cheaper than the Suunto ones. What I like about it is that when I upload the data to my computer afterwards it shows me where I have been skiing on a google map.

Oh, i think I will have to check this out

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Solitude season pass holders can go online and track their vertical data---which I never did in all the years I had a Solitude pass, cuz I don't care really. I measure the day in how tired I am, how far I could get off of the beaten path, and how many times I felt an adrenaline rush. The vert is irrelevant to me...

However, I do use my Suunto watch system for running: HR, mph, distance and upload it to my computer and track my progress, so I'm geeking in that regard.

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
I track my vertical each day with my Suunto watch. I do nothing with the total, other than just check it at the end of the day. If I have 25000 or more, I feel like I have had a "good" day. It is kind of cool to correllate the total with conditions. On a really good powder day, I usually have around 27,000 feet. On a few occasions, I have had it report "--------", which means I topped 30,000, which is the maximun that the display goes to. But, those days are very rare.

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I feel like it's a guy thing. My fiancee is into vertical feet, me not so much....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga