• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you call yourself a skier?

Tvan

Angel Diva
I ski, so I'm a skier. I play the cello, so I'm a cellist. I quilt, so I'm a quilter. I run, so I'm a runner. I'm not terrifically accomplished at any of those things, but I enjoy them, I make time for them, and they make me happy.

That said, I no longer refer to myself as a violinist. While I went to school on the violin and played for 35 years, I no longer play and on the occasions when I bring the violin out, it no longer feels like my instrument. I'm not a violinist anymore.

altagirl

Staff member
As for skiing - I don't consider myself a skier - it would be an insult to all skiers who have worked harder at becoming a skier than me. I learned in my mid-twenties (late for a New Englander), was taught by a friend, have had very few lessons, still can't figure out what to do with my poles, lived in an area for 15 yrs where I was lucky to ski 1/yr. I just ski - for fun and the amusement of others.

That being said - this topic and some of the comments hit me hard as I'm current dealing the loss or potential loss of a sport/hobby/passion I have enjoyed for 30+ yrs - my DH and dive buddy is planning on giving up diving. In May I will have been certified for 40 yrs and actively diving for over 30 yrs. I have been going back and forth between sad, angry, frustrated, confused, feeling empty (but I'm Divegirl!). I'm not ready to give up diving and underwater photography (I just upgraded my camera last March and it hasn't done 1 dive). My DH is in a different place than I am health and age-wise - I realize I have to accept and come to terms with his decision but it may take awhile. I keep hoping he has 1 more year in him since our last trip was a bit of disaster diving-wise. I would like to go out on a high note. I will continue to snorkel and work on photography as a snorkeler. I'm also looking into becoming a certified Solo Diver. Right now it still hurts too much.

It is amazing how we identify ourselves by what we do - I went through the same thing years ago when I lost my job. I had to figure out who I was since I was no longer a chemist or a well respected expert in my field. Now I'm no longer a SCUBA diver so I have figure out who I am all over again.

Sorry for the rant about diving on ski board.

I feel you - I KNOW it was equally hard on my husband to not have me ski with him when we used to be inseparable. We went to therapy about it and talked through both sides of it - I get that he wants me to ski, but it's not just to ski - he also wanted me to ski ever more challenging terrain along side him and it just wasn't physically possible anymore after 5 knee surgeries. Several years back, I honestly went though a phase where I was really worried we'd end up divorced because he wouldn't love me anymore if I wasn't his ski buddy like I used to be. But we worked through it and our relationship is honestly way better than it ever was before (it's really good to know your spouse loves you for being you not for being good at the hobbies you do together!). And now I ski when I want to, and ski the terrain that I want to, and he skis what and when he wants to, and we took up other activities together and it all works out really well.

I'm not suggesting it's easy. But... I guess, know it's possible!

Last edited:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's two ways to look at it which may be why some people have a hard time defining themselves as a skier (or a whatever).

Skier= One who skis

Skier= one who is an active participant in 'ski culture'.

So, people who ski but don't consider themselves skiers, probably are thinking "a skier drives to resorts that get the most snow to hit the powder days, a skier follows all the new ski models being released and reads articles about new tech, a skier does shotskis and drops cliffs and lives out of their van in a parking lot and has a dog named Koda" or whatever. Personally, I think of a skier as just someone who skis fairly frequently or at least has a good familiarity with the sport of skiing etc.

Its funny because other sports I participate in, I feel like the culture is more prevalent and its harder to call myself a whatever. I mean, I don't like to say I'm a climber but the facts are that I've climbed for 15 years so I'm probably a climber.

But, I also really really like @altagirl post about how you shouldn't define yourself by one sport/hobby/facet of your life because you are so much more than that. I know I've personally struggled and seen friends struggle when an injury or change in life caused them to stop doing something they had previously defined themselves by and it can be really rough.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@DivegirlI can relate to your situation on a smaller level, I also am a certified diver that tried to get the rest of my family into SCUBA which turned into a total disaster. I no longer dive, but we all snorkel. I still marvel at everything I see underwater, just from a different perspective, and I love being in the water on a clear day. I think unfortunately we all go thru stages in life where we or our partners are not able to participate in sports/ activities that we did before for what ever reason, and it sucks. I'm hoping that you can find a way to keep doing what you love.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all for the virtual hugs, advice and general cheering up. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I wrote it out and posted it. Made me feel a lot better. Sorry to hi-jack a skiing topic for diving.

Don't apologize. It definitely relates to skiing. I often wonder what I'd do with myself if I had to stop skiing for some reason. I probably identify with skiing too much. When the off season comes, I'm always at a loss. So I can definitely understand how you feel.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I... don't know. I had a great year and improved a lot - greens to blacks. I skied 55 days this season. I track incoming storms. But I don't think I identify as a skier, but the hang-up is mostly because my friend group includes backcountry enthusiasts and former instructors. I'd feel like a poseur.

newboots

Angel Diva
@floatingyardsale - I get it!

Since when did going to a ski area, going up the lift, and skiing down a trail become not-enough-to-be-a-skier? The backcountry is risky and requires exceptional fitness, but many of us are skiers without buying a new set of equipment, taking avalanche awareness courses, and trekking into the wild. Grumble.

You’re a skier. I’m a skier.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I... don't know. I had a great year and improved a lot - greens to blacks. I skied 55 days this season. I track incoming storms. But I don't think I identify as a skier, but the hang-up is mostly because my friend group includes backcountry enthusiasts and former instructors. I'd feel like a poseur.

I bet if you asked your friend group they would all say you are a skier.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Why’d he ask that after you already said you’d be skiing tomorrow?
I thought it was interesting that he asked, but I wasn't fazed by his question. More amused than anything.

But it speaks to this thread. It's not just some here who think "skier" connotes something more than one who skis.

I'm in the I ski camp more than the I am a skier (though I did say "Yes" to his question). I also paint, but am not a painter. I landscape, but am not a landscaper. To me, it's ok either way, saying we are skiers or that we ski.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna