• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

do you always wear sunscreen?

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, who remembers the days of lathering with the baby oil and iodine and baking in the sun? But what did we know then. Now, I have spots and wrinkles, areas that have had to be removed on hands, feet and legs, had a nose operation with stitches on the tip, and had to apply the daily goop to seek out potentially dangerous cells that made my face raw for weeks (healed so smoothly, tho). The dermatologist said the damage was done decades ago. Nancy Reagan said one thing she regretted beauty-wise was spending time in the sun! It's difficult because it takes so long for the ugly and dangerous stuff to show up, and tanning is tempting. Agreed - words to the wise esp. if you are younger - protect your skin now and it'll pay off later in life, in beauty and in health!

bwclemenger

Diva in Training
Western SKi Gal Skin/ Rocky Mountain

I am a grandma and hugging 50 now and have lived in Colorado and Utah since college. I SWEAR by Rocky Mountain Sunscreen and I wear 50 SPF!!! They have it in gallon size and I buy it and use it everyday skiing!! I keep a 30 SPF on the bathroom sink and hubby and I use it as daily moisturizer. They also have great chapstick that STAYS on longer. We hike at least 2x week in the summer and sometimes more at alltitude of of 9,000 ft. This stuff really works!!

For my very few small brown spots I also use AVON banishing/lightening cream and it is really CHEAP. I had someone the other day mention to me when I had my 3y/o grandson how I looked like his MOM?? SO that is my western ski care secret!! Also I have skin check up annually with my doctor. SO important.

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't often use sunscreen in the winter, but definately in the sprint/summer/fall. I've lived in Ohio all of my life <with the exception of college>, and even here you can get pretty burnt. Growing up I was always exposed to sun... I had a pool, I was in outdoor sports, vacations etc.

Here's a lesson learned. I'm 29, will be 30 in less than a month... and two years ago I started noticing these lil' brown sports appearing on my hands and legs. All of the reading I did said sun spots are more common in people in their 40's+.... yeah... that was at 27.

Fortunately my face doesn't have any yet, and I'm trying my hardest not to get any. I'm very fair skinned, english/irish/scottish background with hazel/blue eyes...I've been told I look even younger than I am, and I'm happy for it, but I don't want that to end!

My sister has been tanning constantly for the last 10 years, and I worry for her.. she doesn't.

Please, please please wear sunscreen. I'm only seeing the cosmetic affects right now of my youth... hopefully I'm preventing any further or worse damage to my skin.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i use suncream everytime i go skiing in winter, as it's a sun-and-wind-protection-thing. in spring/summer i also use sun cream of course, but more that waterproof stuff you use for surfing.

on out last trip i forgot to put suncream on my neck and got a slight sunburn (was so warm that i skied without jacket). usually my nose is red at first, well, not this time :D , buuut i've larnt from that "mistake"

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I posted earlier in this thread but haven't refreshed my mind on how, and think this is a post worth repeating if it hasn't been covered yet.

Do we have any divas who have extremely oily skin that find it difficult to use sunscreen?

That would be me. I finally found a Stick type sunscreen, made by dermatone that is not greasy, and works well with my oily skin.

Most recently, I started using an oil free skin cream with an spf 15, which is fine for most days.

But at the altitude, the 30 spf stick is the way to go for this greasy ski diva.

^^ SH, give that Neutrogena Dry Touch stuff a try. Been where you are, and it sorta kinda goes away almost overnight at some point (oily skin). In the meantime, I've heard this stuff is good for that situation.
I will look into that when my current moisturizer runs low, but for now I'm very happy with how it has been working.
I would like to correct my earlier post tho..........
This moisturizer has an SPF 30, which should be great, but......here's the biggy, when we were at abasin last week, I retouched my nose a few times with Volklgirls spf 50(IIRC), My cheeks were fine, but my nose actually blistered. Not alot, but enough so that my husband laughed his butt off.
I know the dangers of the altitude and sun screen, therefore I took the precautions, and though I don't usually burn, my nose really took a hit.

I still think that we need to be cautious of the chemicals we put on our faces as much as we should be about skin cancer, but the balance is delicate.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Like MSL, I remember the days of the Coppertone ads and the tanning with baby oil :eek: etc. On top of that I was a lifeguard during my high school summers. I cringe when I think of the damage I'vd done, but so far I've been lucky.

When I lived in CO, Rocky Mountain sunscreen was THE thing to use. Worked GREAT. Now, I use Neutragena sunscreen (the dry touch stuff works great; my face tends to get greasy) and I use SPF 45 or 50. During the winters here on the east coast, all I need is my SPF 15 moisturizer, but in the summer I up it to 45 or 50 and use that stuff for travels out west, no matter the time of year.

I look at the teenagers I teach who go to tanning salons and shake my head. Can't tell them much; they don't like to listen....most of us have to learn from our mistakes.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'll be sporting the "surfer look" this summer when at/on/near water. Rash guard t's have finally become trendy (hooray!). They are form-fitting, come in long and short sleeve versions, and many tout (whether true or not remains to be tested, at least by me) SPF 50.

Shorts will be knee-length board shorts, also finally coming out in women's sizes at that length (they previously seemed to be long only for men and shorty-short for women -- :noidea:). These also have the added benefit of reducing the need for the dreaded and, for me, nasty side-effects of the bikini line shave/wax. Hooray again.

I've discovered 3 more actinic keratoses. These are the type that can become cancerous (whereas seborrheic do not but are scarier looking in that they CAN closely resemble malignant melanoma). They have to be removed with liquid nitrogen. The nearest dermatologist to where I live is at least an 80 mile drive.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shorts will be knee-length board shorts, also finally coming out in women's sizes at that length (they previously seemed to be long only for men and shorty-short for women -- :noidea:). These also have the added benefit of reducing the need for the dreaded and, for me, nasty side-effects of the bikini line shave/wax. Hooray again.

i love knee-lenght board shorts (even not on the water) :cheer: the definitely rule, and somehow more comfortable when used for surfing

silverwitch

Diva in Training
We live in "RASHIES" and "BOARDIES" here in Australia in summer time and BLOCK OUT 30 SPF is a minimum each day!! My kids live in hats, at home and at school ( No Hat No Play Rule!) The sun is a real killer and yes its just as bad in the middle of winter at the snow!! We have some pretty realistic adds on TV about sun cancer which scare you lots into being sun-wise! Fake tans are so good these days you don't need to fry yourself for a bit of colour! You can tell all the old die hard tanners as they have leather skin and lots of wrinkles when they get about 40ish!! YUK!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be sporting the "surfer look" this summer when at/on/near water. Rash guard t's have finally become trendy (hooray!). They are form-fitting, come in long and short sleeve versions, and many tout (whether true or not remains to be tested, at least by me) SPF 50.

I've discovered 3 more actinic keratoses. These are the type that can become cancerous (whereas seborrheic do not but are scarier looking in that they CAN closely resemble malignant melanoma). They have to be removed with liquid nitrogen. The nearest dermatologist to where I live is at least an 80 mile drive.

:useless:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Jilly

Staff member
I want to know who's making the longer board shorts for women? All I've every seem are the short ones. I'm not 25 any more and don't need the shorties. Plus they would be great for the dragon boat. You have sit really close to the gunnels and it wears on the exposed skin. But I don't want to wear long pants in the middle of summer.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ My mission as well. Best selection I've seen thus far is pacsun (dot com) - but, alas, junior sizes only, might be cut wayyyy too low for my comfort. Tempted to hit up Old Navy for some cheapies (men's). Only have one long pair right now, still packed away.

I'm usually in wet suit as well but they can get warm fast when out of water.

Title nine sports (also dot com) has a terrific looking ensemble of rash guard t and matching board shorts. Pricey but might be worth the splurge? Stay tuned.

Jilly

Staff member
I've got rash guards from O'Neil (thermo - great shirt) and one coming from Salomon. When I pick up my stuff from the ski shop (he's all water stuff in the summer) I'll check on long board shorts for women. See what's out there. He's Oakley, HH, Billabong and Sierra design.

altagirl

Staff member
I have these from Fox:

50319028L.jpg

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lots of 'em

I have some Water Girl (Patagonia) long boardies from a couple of seasons ago that I just adore. It doesn't look like they make them anymore, though.

Jilly

Staff member
Just back from the shop and all the major clothing/outdoor apparel companies were used to seeing are making them. Just check with the stores. Some just haven't got the idea that women might like the longer shorts. So it is guys buying this stuff for the stores and only want to see the shorties??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna