• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

do you always wear sunscreen?

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wondering whether you all put on sunscreen every time you go skiing. I almost always do - unless it's really cloudy and snowing.
It doesn't help much with the windburn, though!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't in Nov/Dec/Jan; I just use my regular moisturizer, which is SPF 8 or 15 or something (but not waterproof). By early to mid February, I start with the real stuff, and in March and April, I slather it on repeatedly during the day.

Not only is the sun low in the dead of winter, but I usually have little facial skin showing after the helmet, goggles, and zipped-up collar. It's cold!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
always

I wear sunscreen even if I am just driving in the car anymore. The skin on my face is so damaged, I now wish I had been more prudent when I was younger. I am wondering though, does anyone have a good alternative to Labiosan? I am damaged beyond chapstick and need more, but I don't really enjoy looking like I have toothpaste stuck to my face either.

altagirl

Staff member
I use stick type sunscreen in winter - it's like the consistency of chapstick, and that solves the windburn problem as well as sunburn.

Neutrogena makes a really nice stick sunscreen, and I have one by "Kiss my face" that's good too.

I'd actually like to use this stuff in summer too, but it's so sandy/dusty here it makes dirt stick to your face, which isn't fun.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always do, and refreshing it maybe too often. But better with too much protection, than too little.

Jilly

Staff member
Always do too. I have a stick like Altagirls - no name brand. Also I usually start out the morning with Umbrella 30. (Stuff's not available in the states!)Also lots of lip balm of some sort. At present I've been loading up on it. Salomon was giving it away somewhere and I grabbed two, plus a 4 pack at Costco and what ever was left over from summer that's still good. Considering I usually lose them, I might have enough.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only person who doesn't wear official sunscreen in the deep winter? Has anyone ever sunburned ... or tanned ... in December?

Sometimes I worry about all the chemicals we slather on ourselves; I figure if I can cut out a few, it's better. Plus, there is evidence that Vitamin D deficiency is increasing where people cover up from the sun. (And ironically Vit D deficiency contributes to skin cancer.)

I'm a moderation fan, either side.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear ultra high protection sunscreen every day. When skiing I use a product called 'Invisible Zinc' which is great, very protective.

I have very fair, freckly skin, I haven't always been as vigilant with the sun protection, and I am noticing I have quite a few sun spots which I have spent a bit of time and money trying to remove with IPL.

Plus, a lot of young people die of skin cancer in Australia each year, I never go out into the sun if I can avoid it.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only person who doesn't wear official sunscreen in the deep winter? Has anyone ever sunburned ... or tanned ... in December?

I never really considered sunscreen when we lived on the East Coast. But coming out to NM and skiing at high altitude under clear skies with all that reflective snow is definitely asking for sunburn! I try to remember to at least get sunscreen on my cheeks. I always wear Carmex (with SPF 15), pretty much year round.

I also feel that I need to get my 20 minutes of Vitamin D a day, so I don't worry too much if I get the sunscreen on late, or don't re-apply later in the day.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Always Always , at least on my face. In California ya havta. I never re-apply. In the morning I use a base moisturizer w/an spf factor, then SKINCEUTICALS uv defense SPF30 (zinc oxide) & maybe a foundation, w/spf again. Even on overcast days we get a burn. Haven't burned in December, but definately in Jan & Feb. I spend a lot of time outside w/horses,animals & general property chores despite the skiing. I don't sunscreen the rest of me though until Summer pool time. I do get lots of vit D , not via the face though.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sometimes I worry about all the chemicals we slather on ourselves; I figure if I can cut out a few, it's better. Plus, there is evidence that Vitamin D deficiency is increasing where people cover up from the sun. (And ironically Vit D deficiency contributes to skin cancer.)

I'm a moderation fan, either side.

Good thinking & I take that into consideration. Sunscreen the face, nose, & shoulders when exposed. My son rarely wears it, but he wears lightweight long sleeves alot & always sometype of hat. I try to get it on his ears though. The ears just don't get protected enough.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gloria , what is Labiosan ?

Jilly

Staff member
I've burnt my nose too many times skiing. Sun and reflections off the snow do it to me. Irish, Scot heritage so I burn easily. SPF 30 minimum on the face. I only do the body if its summer and I'm off to the beach, water or back yard with shorts. Best is the "invisible closet" SPF 45!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You mean there's SUN where you ski?????

Seems like we hardly get any, here in VT. So generally, no. But when I go out West, definitely.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it for vanity's sake, if other reasons don't appeal to you.
I know people who don't take good care of their skin with sunscreen and they look much older than they should.

abc

Banned
I'm a lot darker than most, because I have VERY efficient tanning genes. :smile:

So I HAVE TO put them on my face when the sun comes out, or I'll have this racoon ring around my eyes where the sunglasses/goggle is!!!

Instead, I leave it off in the summer, particularly when I'm not wearing goggles/sunglasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna