• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

Christy

Angel Diva
“Ice food” is her way of asking for her frozen Kong for context.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised after hearing Christina talk about what she did with Stella, but, wow.

I haven't read the book but it seems like I'd have to keep food out of the buttons entirely. How do they not just ask for food constantly?

Ohh I’ll have to take a listen. I read her book, but would love to hear the podcast as well.

Like I said it's not just about dogs but it was really touching to hear about how passionate she is about her work, in particular teaching non-verbal people to communicate using devices.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I guess I shouldn't be surprised after hearing Christina talk about what she did with Stella, but, wow.

I haven't read the book but it seems like I'd have to keep food out of the buttons entirely. How do they not just ask for food constantly?

Like I said it's not just about dogs but it was really touching to hear about how passionate she is about her work, in particular teaching non-verbal people to communicate using devices.

Some people do keep food out altogether. If you do put food or treat buttons in you have to be patient at first because they may spam those buttons a lot. Sookie actually spammed "outside" way more than "food" at first though haha. Now she mostly uses "food", or whatever variation she is asking for, at the appropriate times like around mealtimes. She can be very impatient when I am getting her food ready though and press stuff a bunch for emphasis lol. Then once you are confident they understand the word(s) and that they get something when they request it.. you then introduce words that help curb their expectations. For example, we have "all done". So I will say/press "food (or whatever the thing is) all done" if she keeps asking for it and we are not doing that anymore right now. I also have been verbally trying to introduce the concepts of now, soon, later, etc.. so eventually I hope it can be more like "no food now, food soon" or "no food now, food later" etc. I also haven't added yes and no yet, but those are on my list. I've heard that yes and no can take quite awhile to catch on, which is a little surprising to me since we use yes and no all the time verbally for various things.. and obviously concepts of time are more abstract as well.

That's how her book is too, she tells a lot of stories about working with humans and how those interactions helped form her hypotheses and process with Stella and her buttons. She is a great storyteller, and her passion for her work is infectious.

Jenny

Angel Diva
This sounds like the toddler my sister nannies for, except with ASL. He's 15 months and just put together his first two word phrase, “more please”. Much like the dogs, he was standing in front of the pantry when he did it, lol.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
This sounds like the toddler my sister nannies for, except with ASL. He's 15 months and just put together his first two word phrase, “more please”. Much like the dogs, he was standing in front of the pantry when he did it, lol.
What a charming, well mannered young man!

I’d meant to update on Sookie’s button progress. Here is a recent clip of her first time incorporating “want” into a request. “Ice food” is her way of asking for her frozen Kong for context.

It was just last week. She’s in the onesie because she was just spayed 2 weeks ago. (Highly recommend Suitical surgical recovery suits! It was great to not have to use the cone :smile:). Today is her first day off of exercise restrictions and we are so happy about that!!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

If you're into Audible books, her book was a great listen. She includes the sounds of Stella using her buttons.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Adorable, and clever! My pup is being spayed next week and I bought the pink camo version!
We ended up with a pink and blue, they are both so cute. :smile: I realized that wearing one suit for 14 days would be a bit of a stretch, so bought a second from my vet’s office after the first couple of days. It was helpful to be able to swap out and wash the worn suit every few days.

Good luck for an uneventful surgery and recovery for your pup!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Awhile ago we had been approved to do some fostering with a local rescue.. but due to things like Sookie unexpectedly going into heat 2 days before her original spay date in late June and preexisting plans that kept falling on the weekends of pups being transported north, we hadn’t actually gotten around to doing it. Now Sookie is all healed up and ski season is rapidly approaching and closing the good timing for fostering.

So.. tomorrow we are taking our first fosters in. That’s right, plural! Lol We somehow decided to take 2 siblings from a litter of pups. I was thinking it’d be an easier transition for them if they had each other. Now that it is 24 hours away though, I am quite nervous. Excited too, but definitely a bit nervous.

I’ve never taken care of more than one dog at a time, and now I’m going to care for 3?!? Eek! And these are young puppies which means they aren’t potty trained and are probably teething or about to be. Oh and Sookie has never had another dog in our house before, though she is very happy to meet other dogs on leash and in play groups we’ve gone to. So I am hoping very much that she isn’t going to be majorly put out by the newcomers.

My hopes are to have a positive experience so we can help be a stop over for more fosters in the future. I also feel it’s great exposure for Sookie to have some temporary friends at home (hopefully they will all be fast friends), and a great chance to see how it is to have multiple dogs at home for a short term commitment. I do want to add another to our family when Sookie is a bit older, but want to see how she would feel about that too.

Any words of wisdom for us before the chaos ensues?? :fear:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Awhile ago we had been approved to do some fostering with a local rescue.. but due to things like Sookie unexpectedly going into heat 2 days before her original spay date in late June and preexisting plans that kept falling on the weekends of pups being transported north, we hadn’t actually gotten around to doing it. Now Sookie is all healed up and ski season is rapidly approaching and closing the good timing for fostering.

So.. tomorrow we are taking our first fosters in. That’s right, plural! Lol We somehow decided to take 2 siblings from a litter of pups. I was thinking it’d be an easier transition for them if they had each other. Now that it is 24 hours away though, I am quite nervous. Excited too, but definitely a bit nervous.

I’ve never taken care of more than one dog at a time, and now I’m going to care for 3?!? Eek! And these are young puppies which means they aren’t potty trained and are probably teething or about to be. Oh and Sookie has never had another dog in our house before, though she is very happy to meet other dogs on leash and in play groups we’ve gone to. So I am hoping very much that she isn’t going to be majorly put out by the newcomers.

My hopes are to have a positive experience so we can help be a stop over for more fosters in the future. I also feel it’s great exposure for Sookie to have some temporary friends at home (hopefully they will all be fast friends), and a great chance to see how it is to have multiple dogs at home for a short term commitment. I do want to add another to our family when Sookie is a bit older, but want to see how she would feel about that too.

Any words of wisdom for us before the chaos ensues?? :fear:
Partition off a small area for the puppies to stay in, like a laundry room or part of a larger room. It's so much easier to potty train them to use puppy pads in a small area, and easier to clean up the mess they will make. Sookie will get used to them thru the partition, and you can let them run around in a larger area for awhile right after they've pooped/peed. Sookie will probably make friends with them, but will also be relieved when they go back to their "den." Oh, and put a small crate in there for them to sleep in, so they get used to being crated. They may cry the first couple of nights, but they'll have each other, and will adapt quickly. Good for you for fostering -- you're saving 4 lives, not just 2.

Christy

Angel Diva
Any words of wisdom for us before the chaos ensues??

I've been part of the foster team at our city shelter since around 2010. We used to foster though now I do application review. Foster parents are amazing. You are really doing something good. And hang on to that sentiment when things get tough! I'm not sure I ever fostered where I didn't have times where I thought, why am I doing this?? What a pain in the butt! (Except with my first foster, who was 10 and who we adopted almost immediately).

This sounds like its a temporary thing? You aren't responsible for dealing with adopters? That makes it easier.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna