• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Days you’ve been on snow 2023-2024

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 20 at Magic on Sunday. Warmed up to the teens so we went out at 11 or so. Skied with a couple friends of mine and we ended up being out for over 4 hours. Super hard packed and had to dodge snow guns but the nice warm sun made it a lovely day. Twas a good Kastle MX83 day.

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
Days 3-7, a week of skiing!

My husband and I both attended a ski camp with Stomp It Camps in Laax, Switzerland last week. I did a ski technique camp and he did a freestyle camp. We had a big range of ability levels in my camp and I felt the two instructors did a great job of catering to that range and giving individualized instruction. You could tell they've both had years and years of experience instructing. Even though I've only had one season of experience skiing, I felt confident skiing down just about anything. We did some steeps, bumps, had a few runs of zero visibility, a little side piste practice, got to ride down the mini halfpipe a few times through the park, and even had to ski down a completely icy steep section that had majorly refrozen and got skiied off by the end of the day. The more advanced group in ski technique got to work much more on their carving and benefited from being able to use the Carv app all week (we did too, but I was less interested in the stats).

I took two lessons last year, one at the beginning of the season and one in March, that were ok but didn't go deep into the mechanics that the camp did. Before I just wanted to be able to confidently ski just about everything, but now I'm staying up late at night thinking much more about the movements, and practicing angles and rotation between sets while weightlifting.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed we don't get too much rain washing away the snow this week in the PNW so I can practice more. And get over my jet lag!

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
I hit days 7 and 8 this past weekend, after a fantastic snow storm dumped right on our weekend destination of Davis, WV. We skied Canaan Valley on Saturday, which was fantastic - everything was fantastic, most runs were open, and I had so much fun in the soft powder in the trees.

Sunday we went to Timberline, which had chosen to groom all their runs. I did get brave enough to ski their double diamonds, which was not my favorite - they were steep with big bumps. I will ski either steeps or bumps, but when you put them together, I forget every technique I've ever learned and lose all my confidence. Anyhow, I did those runs one scary turn at a time, but I got myself down eventually (all the while other skiers blasted past me out of control, including one who skied OVER THE BACK OF MY SKIS, then crashed another 3 bumps down the hill. WTF). So while I have my own confidence issues to work on, it amazes me to see other people go down with less skills and more confidence than me. I need to channel the attitude of a man and just do it, lol.

We were going to ski CV again on Monday, but looked at the temperature and called it. Early morning temps were recorded at an actual -19* that morning! We skied on Saturday at an actual 7*/-15 with windchill, and that was plenty cold enough for us.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Got a day 6 in on Wednesday evening. My local little bump, Kissing Bridge, was having a super inexpensive Learn to Ski night ($25 for lesson and gear rental and beginner lift ticket) so I drove down with my 24-year-old colleague who has been wanting to try skiing. (We have jokingly decided I am her ski mom.)

Conditions were not ideal, but my colleague was committed so we went! Light rain + warm temps + night skiing = super creepy foggy ski night. Totally the weirdest ski experience I have ever had. There were maybe 20 total people on the main hills (not counting the Learn to Ski clinic on the bunny hill.) Since it was so variable and isolated, I stuck to two runs I know very well. But it was a great chance to work on my pole touches and rhythmic turns. All was great until my newbie friend had a little crash into the side of the magic carpet framing that landed her in the ski patrol clinic for a medical check. Other than a bruised sternum ... and bruised ego ... she is thankfully okay!!! And still wants to try skiing again. Glad that this ski mom made her wear a helmet. :smile:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day #31 in the fog in upper 30s. It felt like spring skiing with random icy spots . There's been this gloomy foggy mist that's been hanging around for several days.
Crazy thing it's supposed to warm up to mid 40s next week. Just in time for me to go to FL. The whole point of going there is to escape the cold brutal winter

marzNC

Angel Diva
Added three more days at Massanutten in the past week. Completely different conditions. Monday, Jan. 22, was cold with plenty of snowmaking contours and natural snow mixed in. There was snow in the valley as I drove south. By the time I drove back on Wednesday, the only snow left was on the slopes. The last couple days temps were in the 50s. Key was that there was no rain. Conditions were great on Friday morning after everything was groomed. Still plenty of contours, with a few thin spots on trails that only opened just over a week ago.

Monday
Mnut 22Jan2024 Grill snow.jpg

Friday
Mnut 26Jan2024 stones.jpg

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm calling this day 8.5... didn't get out for a full day of skiing but inspired by my uphill day with @ilovepugs last weekend, I went out for an uphill lap at Cochran's in the late afternoon today. Glad I got out there, even if for a short window.

Cocktail Ice

Diva in Training

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Day ??+1 and 2. (Probably 20-something but I haven’t bothered to keep count). Actually had a fun weekend at Jay Peak. I’ve been associating the mountain with work and hence not wanting to go there to free ski.

On Saturday morning I had a giant lesson of 10 people, all first timers in a university-sponsored school group. Everybody made progress; some more than others. In the afternoon I jumped on to a clinic; I was the weakest skier in the group which made me a good guinea pig. Among other things we worked on fore-aft positioning in the bumps which really helped me with my efficiency. We also rambled through the woods a bit and talked about line selection. As mentioned, I haven’t spent too much time free skiing this season and it was nice to re-tread some terrain I’d tackled tentatively with @jthree, @echo_VT sand @BlueSkies last season and feel I could ski these trails confidently in similarly icy conditions. Progress!

Went back this morning and just lapped a route that featured a bump segment that was manageable but challenging enough for me to work on drilling the technique. Feeling great and happy more of the mountain is opening up to me. I’ve been struggling to associate Jay Peak with fun instead of work and this weekend was definitely a step in the right direction.
30D7095E-0972-4789-997C-A9C6BCF21ADC.jpeg
^the one time the clouds parted enough to see the peak.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 33? I think? Last night. Mid 40s and We saw the Sun!
I chose the wrong skis for the night- too soft and light.
It was slushy and I randomly got hung up in the snow ski popped off and I faceplanted. Thankfully nothing hurt.
Screenshot_20240129-174945-337.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna