• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dancers?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah! I was going to tag along with you some Sunday, but not now that you're pre-pointe. Congrats, though!!
Thanks! The pre-pointe is a special workshop, right after the regular beginner 1 classes and that happens on Thursday nights. The Sunday classes are the easiest beginner 1 that the studio offers and I still take that one, so you are welcome to come anytime. There are occasionally never-evers or beginners who haven't done ballet in 10+ years in the Sunday class and the teacher makes the class accessible to everyone. You are welcome to join me on any Sunday!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunatey I am not at the moment, though I hope to go back at some point! After I performed in our winter recital last year I ended up moving and had also just started a new job with a longer commute which impacted my desire to go to a class that was now further away from me and ends at 9pm. Since then I also started taking weekly ukulele lessons at a music school around 2 miles from my house. I hope to eventually find a dance class closer to me for adults, though it kind of stinks because I really do miss the ladies who were in my previous class. For now though, ukulele has been a good creative outlet, and hard enough to keep practicing as much as I should with limited time, so I'm not sure when I will be wanting to add another weekly commitment. Definitely not during ski season! :smile:

So exciting that you may get to go to pointe soon!! Will you take time off this ski season as well, or plan to push on throughout?
Thank you ! I hear you, there is only so much time during the week to do multiple hobbies. I don't commute to work, live 15 minute drive away. But the adult ballet studio I go to is 1 hr drive and it's in the city. I probably won't be able to do it twice a week like i do now when the ski season starts. Because I progressed a lot after I started doing it 2X a week I am hoping to keep doing it once a week during the ski season so that I maintain my level, we shall see how that goes..

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Funny I just came across this post. I danced for almost 20 years before ever skiing. My daughter (9 years old) is in a pre-professional dance program. This year we had to hold her back a level because it was going to interfere with our skiing. I know there will be a point that she will have to choose. I am just not ready for that yet.

merrydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am continuing ballet, though I took 4-5 months off during ski season and right after ski season was over. I am taking pre-point class now and the teacher said that she may allow me to take beginner pointe classes in a few months. Are you still taking ballet?
It's great that you've continued with ballet and may start pointe. I found that pointe work really strengthened my core and legs (unfortunately it also messed up my feet so I've had to take a break). I'll be interested to hear what your impression are when you start pointe class.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have started dancing en pointe, three classes so far. I am getting the hang of balancing on them, we hold on to the bar with both hands, during the class. My ballet instructor commented on my good balance, probably from skiing. I am struggling with some of the exercises I do easily on soft shoes, like eschappe. The added complexity of rolling on pointe correctly confuses my brain for now with exercises like eschappe for now. My ankles were a bit sore, after the first class, but not too bad. I was told by my instructor I have strong feet so I am sure that helps. May I just say that I think pointe shoes are so pretty! Though sewing the ribbons and elastic on them took forever!

R0ckette

Diva in Training
Any other dancers here? That's pretty much all I do in my free time, other than skiing in the winter. My husband and I swing dance (lindy, balboa, charleston, etc.). I'm not all that great at it, but it's fun and good exercise!

I also tried to take up golf this summer, and that was pretty tragic. I actually managed to pull some muscles in my side/chest when I drove the club straight into the ground. Awesome. I play a mean game of putt-putt, but that doesn't translate to awesome golfing skills, apparently.
Latin ballroom here!

I've been dancing ballroom since I was 13-14, and before that was ballet & ice dancing.

Members Online

No members online now.