• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dancers?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah! I was going to tag along with you some Sunday, but not now that you're pre-pointe. Congrats, though!!
Thanks! The pre-pointe is a special workshop, right after the regular beginner 1 classes and that happens on Thursday nights. The Sunday classes are the easiest beginner 1 that the studio offers and I still take that one, so you are welcome to come anytime. There are occasionally never-evers or beginners who haven't done ballet in 10+ years in the Sunday class and the teacher makes the class accessible to everyone. You are welcome to join me on any Sunday!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunatey I am not at the moment, though I hope to go back at some point! After I performed in our winter recital last year I ended up moving and had also just started a new job with a longer commute which impacted my desire to go to a class that was now further away from me and ends at 9pm. Since then I also started taking weekly ukulele lessons at a music school around 2 miles from my house. I hope to eventually find a dance class closer to me for adults, though it kind of stinks because I really do miss the ladies who were in my previous class. For now though, ukulele has been a good creative outlet, and hard enough to keep practicing as much as I should with limited time, so I'm not sure when I will be wanting to add another weekly commitment. Definitely not during ski season! :smile:

So exciting that you may get to go to pointe soon!! Will you take time off this ski season as well, or plan to push on throughout?
Thank you ! I hear you, there is only so much time during the week to do multiple hobbies. I don't commute to work, live 15 minute drive away. But the adult ballet studio I go to is 1 hr drive and it's in the city. I probably won't be able to do it twice a week like i do now when the ski season starts. Because I progressed a lot after I started doing it 2X a week I am hoping to keep doing it once a week during the ski season so that I maintain my level, we shall see how that goes..

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Funny I just came across this post. I danced for almost 20 years before ever skiing. My daughter (9 years old) is in a pre-professional dance program. This year we had to hold her back a level because it was going to interfere with our skiing. I know there will be a point that she will have to choose. I am just not ready for that yet.

merrydog

Angel Diva
I am continuing ballet, though I took 4-5 months off during ski season and right after ski season was over. I am taking pre-point class now and the teacher said that she may allow me to take beginner pointe classes in a few months. Are you still taking ballet?

It's great that you've continued with ballet and may start pointe. I found that pointe work really strengthened my core and legs (unfortunately it also messed up my feet so I've had to take a break). I'll be interested to hear what your impression are when you start pointe class.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have started dancing en pointe, three classes so far. I am getting the hang of balancing on them, we hold on to the bar with both hands, during the class. My ballet instructor commented on my good balance, probably from skiing. I am struggling with some of the exercises I do easily on soft shoes, like eschappe. The added complexity of rolling on pointe correctly confuses my brain for now with exercises like eschappe for now. My ankles were a bit sore, after the first class, but not too bad. I was told by my instructor I have strong feet so I am sure that helps. May I just say that I think pointe shoes are so pretty! Though sewing the ribbons and elastic on them took forever!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats, @Olesya Chornoguz !

I read back through this thread and saw so many styles. Square. Ballroom. Zumba. Belly. Ballet. Salsa. Tap. Hula.

This is inspiration for me to get out there and shake it up!

R0ckette

Certified Ski Diva
Any other dancers here? That's pretty much all I do in my free time, other than skiing in the winter. My husband and I swing dance (lindy, balboa, charleston, etc.). I'm not all that great at it, but it's fun and good exercise!

I also tried to take up golf this summer, and that was pretty tragic. I actually managed to pull some muscles in my side/chest when I drove the club straight into the ground. Awesome. I play a mean game of putt-putt, but that doesn't translate to awesome golfing skills, apparently.

Latin ballroom here!

I've been dancing ballroom since I was 13-14, and before that was ballet & ice dancing.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to comment I continue dancing ballet. Our studio does livestream classes that are also DVRed so we can dance at any time that is convenient for us. Ocasionally our instructor does Zoom classes where she gives us feedback. I have been doing technique and pointe classes 2X a week or so. I can do quite a few things en pointe without holding on to the barre and I greatly enjoy the challenge of dancing en pointe. I can bourre, do eschappes, balance and some one-legged stuff without holding on to the barre.

Anyone else is dancing via online classes or other ways?

merrydog

Angel Diva
I wanted to comment I continue dancing ballet. Our studio does livestream classes that are also DVRed so we can dance at any time that is convenient for us. Ocasionally our instructor does Zoom classes where she gives us feedback. I have been doing technique and pointe classes 2X a week or so. I can do quite a few things en pointe without holding on to the barre and I greatly enjoy the challenge of dancing en pointe. I can bourre, do eschappes, balance and some one-legged stuff without holding on to the barre.

Anyone else is dancing via online classes or other ways?

My ballet teacher is doing barre to get exercise for herself and she's allowing a couple of us to join her; very low risk as it's a large room, we can social distance and wear masks. During these sessions I could bring pointe shoes if I want but I've been slowly recovering from a neuroma so don't want to push it.

My modern/jazz dance class has been via Zoom once a week for a few months now. At first the instructor had to keep things really simple but it seems everyone is adapting to learning this new way and she has been giving us more new choreography. I started these classes on a rug but have had to roll it up because the friction was doing a number on my knees. So "going" to class takes a different type of warm-up/preparation. :love:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Awesome to hear that you ladies are still able to work on this passion at home! An interesting thing coming from the whole Covid situation is the crazy amount of ingenuity in being able to offer people experiences at home that were previously quite limited to being done in person. I think this shift, or at least option for it, will extend way beyond the pandemic now that so much infrastructure is in place.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ballet teacher is doing barre to get exercise for herself and she's allowing a couple of us to join her; very low risk as it's a large room, we can social distance and wear masks. During these sessions I could bring pointe shoes if I want but I've been slowly recovering from a neuroma so don't want to push it.

My modern/jazz dance class has been via Zoom once a week for a few months now. At first the instructor had to keep things really simple but it seems everyone is adapting to learning this new way and she has been giving us more new choreography. I started these classes on a rug but have had to roll it up because the friction was doing a number on my knees. So "going" to class takes a different type of warm-up/preparation. :love:
That's great you are able to continue dancing in these times. I hear about best floors to dance on that can be tricky. I have hardwood floors at home which I like dancing on, that what we had in the studio before shut down. But I read that supposedly hardwood floor is not the best, there are other types of dance floors that are better and that you can buy tiles or mats of sprung floors for dancing at home.

merrydog

Angel Diva
That's great you are able to continue dancing in these times. I hear about best floors to dance on that can be tricky. I have hardwood floors at home which I like dancing on, that what we had in the studio before shut down. But I read that supposedly hardwood floor is not the best, there are other types of dance floors that are better and that you can buy tiles or mats of sprung floors for dancing at home.

Unless you're doing a lot of jumping regular hardwood is probably just fine. A small section of marley would be nice for pointe work if that's too slippery but that's a bit of an investment for anyone not planning on going pro. :wink:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless you're doing a lot of jumping regular hardwood is probably just fine. A small section of marley would be nice for pointe work if that's too slippery but that's a bit of an investment for anyone not planning on going pro. :wink:
That's exactly how I think about it. We are not really doing much jumping in zoom classes. I did buy rosin so I put some on my pointe shoes then wipe the excess off, I don't really slip with enough rosin.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an update to share - I have been dancing for 3 years en pointe and I pretty comfortable dancing away from the barre with simple eschappe, sous-sous, balance and a few other simpler steps. I can do 1/4 and 1/2 pirouttes and 1-2 pique turns. We just had a recital and I danced 2 different pointe routines in the center floor - no barre.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly